Careful not to say H-E- double hockysticks!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Stelliform, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

SHE was suspended for saying Hell. :rolleyes: Talk about bad karma!

Link...

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

They should just move on, lesson learned. It was an over reaction to a minor issue.

3. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

If the Kid knew the rules about bad word in the literal or slang then SHE deserved what SHE(Happy now?) got. It is like saying the F word on the boards we know the rules.

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Thing is, the rule said "no profanity" and it was left at that, no examples or definition of what "profanity" was, and given the usage, I don't think it was profanity.

Oh, and rtfa :p, the kid's female.

5. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Oh sorry dont tell Her I called Her A HE

6. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

This is just absurd. Next up: Kid expelled for using the word "penis" in a biology class.

:rolleyes:

7. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

please tell me you're kidding. (I have a terrible feeling that you're not.)

10. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

The truly disgusting part is that her usage of the word "hell" in the context in which she did, is just as likely to get her in trouble for speaking about religion as it is to get her in hot water for the (utterly ridiculous) notion that it was profanity.

With the atmosphere in schools today, I'm surprised the other kid got away with using the word "God"

11. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

Um, no. It is nothing at all like that. In fact, I can't really imagine how you could be more wrong. This girl expressed what she had been taught was divine truth, in what was very likely a cautionary voice. Had she used another term, like Sheol or Gehenna, the incident would have likely gone unnoticed... until someone asked her what she meant... at which point she'd have been in trouble for talking about religion.

To say that someone expressing their religious beliefs, especially in one sentence, to one person, is in any way the same as someone cursing on a message board (and then only in such a way intended to circumvent the filters) is offensive. I truly hope this was a flippant remark you made off the cuff, and not something you really thought about and believe.

12. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    I wouldn't call it profanity, but if her parents aren't going to teach her not to go around telling kids that they are going to Hell, I guess the school should. I believe in religous freedom, but little kids shouldn't be told that they will go to Hell. You have the right to F your own kids up, or let the local church F them up. You have no right to F my kids up through your kids.
    And I thought I was the conservative hillbilly on here!:rolleyes:

I do think suspension was WAY overboard in this case. She needs to be taught not to do say things like this outside of her little theocratic world, and her parents need a stern warning and reminder that in the US we do not go to public school to learn or teach religion.

13. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

For a moment I thought you were naming some small towns in Pennsylvania or upstate New York. Meh, same difference all-in-all. :D

When I was in kindergarten, I used to make "hand dinosaurs" by putting all but my middle finger down as legs, and using the middle finger as the neck and head. Well if this dino walked up the back of a seat, you know what it looked like. One time I was "flying" the dinosaur (or at least some similar hand configuration--hey, I was 5) and a classmate started complaining to the teacher about me using my middle finger. I had no clue what that meant, and thank goodness the teacher didn't think anything of it, or I might have ended up in similar trouble. Amazing how much things have changed...

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

It might be a 4 letter word, but I really don't think its a swear word, especially when taken in the context of the noun as a place....:rolleyes:

When I first saw this I was thinking it would be from the bible belt, I was quite surprised to see that it was way above the belt.

D

15. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

While I agree that she was out of place telling the other child that they would go to Hell, my reason for saying so is apparently different (but maybe not so much). I think she should have asked the other student not to swear, at least not in front of her, as she found it offensive.
    I also agree that children do not go to public school to learn or teach religion, but I also do not think that freedom OF religion is the same as freedom FROM religion. If the suspendee wants to talk to the other child about religion at recess or in the lunchroom, and explain why she felt that the child's swearing was wrong, then there is nothing wrong with that. Until and unless the other child asks the suspendee not to talk to them about religion.

16. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Just to clarify: I have no problem with kids discussing their religion in school. I have no problem with kids saying "Jesus loves you," or "Praise Allah!". My problem is with kids saying things like "you're gonna go to Hell" or "Jesus is the real God, Allah is a false God". Feel free to praise whatever God you beleive in, just don't tell other kids that they are going to suffer eternally because they have a different view. And don't go crashing any planes into buildings, firebombing black churches, or blowing up abortion clinics. Ahh yes... terrorist of faiths other than Muslim.

btw. I thought you go to Hell for not accepting Christ as your saviour, not for sinning. Aren't you forgiven for all your sins once you accept Him?

17. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

no ... you go to hell for sinning

a) the seven deadly sins
    b) suicide
    c) there is also dante's 9 circles of hell thats not really part of christian dogma

Big deal so one kid told another she's going to go to hell ...

by the time they're 14 they're gonna being using "Go to Hell!" to tell someone off as frequently as they say hi and bye anyway

As far as other kids "*****" up your kids, you right they have no right to ... you as a parent have the right to do all by yourself :rolleyes:

LOL ... this reminds me of a Simpsons episode

Marge - what did you kids learn in Sunday School today
    Bart - Hell
    Homer - Bart don't swear at your mother
    Bart - how can i tell you that i learned about HELL if i don't you world HELL to talk about HELL.

18. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

So our kids just just lie to other kids and tell them they are going to heaven??
    Religions aren't all inclusive, you can't have it both ways.

Well when you murder kids day in and day out, someone is going to take the law into their own hands.

19. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

When someone blows your face off with a shotgun, we'll remember that you condone murder in the case of a moral disagreement.

i can't believe this crap. to think i used to share his opinion. abortions make me sick. people who blow up abortion clinics and murder doctors make me sick. i'll leave it to you to guess my opinion of Dippo here.

paul

20. neut macrumors 68000

neut

morons make me sick. i didn't realize how many there were.

this ****ing retarded as hell.

peace.

21. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Ok, we're getting angry. New topic.
    How the weather up there?

22. neut macrumors 68000

neut

I like how you made us all one organism... "we" :D.

btw- your sig scares me. what do you have against happy children?

peace.

23. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

hot as hell...:D

24. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

nice.

25. neut macrumors 68000

neut