Carl Icahn Discloses 'Large Position' in Apple, Believes Company is 'Extremely Undervalued'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 13, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Legendary investor Carl Icahn disclosed on Twitter today that his holding company has taken a 'large position' in Apple, believing that the company is 'extremely undervalued' and should increase its share buyback program.

This is similar to the advice that Warren Buffett gave earlier this year, though Buffett did not take a position in Apple.

Icahn disclosed his position on Twitter after yesterday warning investors that he may disclose material information on that account in accordance with new SEC guidelines on social media use.
    Icahn, who has an estimated net worth of $20 billion, has recently been extensively involved in efforts to keep Dell from going private and he also holds a 16% stake in Nuance, the speech recognition company that Apple uses for Siri.

Update: According to Bloomberg, Icahn has taken a position of at least $1 billion in Apple and is projecting the stock price to rise to over $600.

Update 2: Apple issued this statement regarding Icahn's investment:
    Update 3: The Wall Street Journal has more from an interview with Mr. Icahn.
    Article Link: Carl Icahn Discloses 'Large Position' in Apple, Believes Company is 'Extremely Undervalued'

2. macrumors newbie

3. macrumors 6502a

I guess that must explain why AAPL is up over 4.5% today.

4. macrumors member

Hmmmm does he know something we don't? There may be a huge surprise waiting for us on the 10th... :)

5. macrumors 68040

bradl

And with that, Icahn just made everything that Ellison said yesterday a crock.

BL.

6. macrumors 6502a

Klae17

Looks like I just made 4.5% ! Oh wait I'm still upside down. :(

7. macrumors member

8. macrumors 6502

xNYMetsx

Must be, because at this current state things are a little messy within Apple.

9. macrumors 6502a

What does Carl Icahn and Buffett know. According to Apple haters, Apple is doom. :D

10. macrumors 68040

the8thark

Stock price and market manipulation at it's finest?

11. macrumors 68030

Supa_Fly

Yeah it's called PUMP and DUMP!

Much like what pimps force street walker callgirls to do back in the early 70's.

12. macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Why does Icahn want to prevent Dell from going private? To make money off of them? If Dell has any chance it's probably going private again, at least for a while.

Apple should go private again too. Then it wouldn't have to be subject to Wall Street analyst nonsense about innovation, market share, etc. Apple could just do what they do best and keep making its billions. I know, never going to happen.

13. macrumors 65816

Holy cow, the stock price jumped at around 2:30pm EDT today which is right when he made that announcement. :eek:

14. macrumors 68030

bbeagle

Which shows that it's not all Tim Cook or Apple that makes shares rise or fall. The stock market is a funny thing.

15. macrumors 68020

smithrh

Having someone influential say Apple is undervalued: great.

Having Icahn be that someone: not so good.

This could be very very very problematic.

16. macrumors member

I'm smelling that to. Goes along with the quote, "The best way to predict the future is to make it."

17. macrumors G5

Rogifan

Explain exactly how Apple could go private?

18. skinned66, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013

macrumors 6502a

skinned66

If I ever had a company I'd risk staying small and maintaining full control than having my coat tails ridden while getting whipped with a riding crop by people like this guy.

19. macrumors 601

HiRez

I'm not sad the price is shooting up, but yeah, always suspicious of this. Let's see if Icahn cashes out the second it reaches its peak and then tweets about how overvalued Apple is as he shorts the stock.

20. macrumors 65816

these guys are desperate because they didn't get a good ROI as expected :rolleyes:

they all believed that the stock would make $1,000 :D

21. macrumors 65816

But what happened to the "24/7 shelling" of Apple over the last year?

You know, all those "analysts"......those fountains of wisdom..."Apple is doomed, DOOMED I tell you!!!"..... :rolleyes:

Hey Carl....would you like a burger and fries with that stock purchase?

22. macrumors 68020

shanmugam

Carl Icahn -- does not look good for AAPL.

Heard lots of non sense with mentor graphics in OR and now DELL ...

not sure if he is good investor or not.

23. macrumors member

So you buy a load of shares, talk to the CEO to start a new buyback, and you create your own profit. Nice... :confused:

24. macrumors G5

Rogifan

Well he's taken positions in companies like Netflix. Not sure if he's still in it or has cashed out.

25. macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

Is this the same Icahn that wanted new Apple management? Is this the same Icahn that wanted Apple to sell bargain-priced hardware at discount chain stores which would have diluted Apple's image?

Not sure how great this news is.

Hopefully he'll take a hand-off approach this time.