Carl Icahn Posts Response to Apple On Proxy Proposal for Share Buyback, Buys $500 Million More in Stock

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 23, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Several weeks ago, Apple filed a statement with the SEC advising shareholders to vote against activist investor Carl Icahn's non-binding "advisory" share buyback proposal from early December.

The proposal will be voted on by shareholders at Apple's stockholder's meeting, to be held at Apple's headquarters at some point in the next couple of months. Today, Icahn published a seven-page letter to shareholders advocating for a yes vote on its proposal.

He also announced that he purchased another $500 million in Apple stock today, bringing his cumulative total to $3.6 billion. Just yesterday, Icahn revealed that he had surpassed $3 billion in AAPL ownership. He also stated on CNBC that his criticism was reserved for Apple's board of directors, not its management.

In the letter, Icahn explains his belief that Apple's stock is a "no brainer" to purchase, and that Apple's board should be supportive of a significant increase in Apple's share repurchase program. He argues that Apple's stock -- currently priced at $555 -- would be priced at $840 if its price to earnings ratio was the same as the average P/E across the S&P 500.
    The full letter is available from the SEC and comes ahead of Apple's first quarter earnings report, scheduled for Monday afternoon. The company is expected to report the strongest results for any quarter in its history.

Article Link: Carl Icahn Posts Response to Apple On Proxy Proposal for Share Buyback, Buys $500 Million More in Stock
  2. macrumors 65816

Jun 13, 2013
    yesssss .... AAPL is up. Keep on buying it Carl. :apple:
  3. macrumors G4

Nov 7, 2007
    New Sanfrakota
  4. macrumors 6502a

Mar 9, 2009
    Such horrible short-term thinking by Icahn. There could be a billion other things Apple could do with that money over the long term to improve the company.
  5. macrumors 6502

May 22, 2005
    Apple should team up with eBay, buy up iChan's hedge funds, and dump Carl and his funds into Atlantic. Or the Pacific.

Just to tell the greedy old man who runs Apple and eBay.
  6. macrumors regular

Jan 25, 2013
    Carl only cares about his money, not yours or mine. He wants the buy-back for short-term price gain and a higher % ownership within AAPL...
  7. macrumors 68020

Cuban Missles

Dec 6, 2012
    My heart is in Camagüey, the rest in the USA
    Mac Rumors, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE..... use a different picture. The one you keep using is creepy.
  8. macrumors newbie

Nov 19, 2012
  9. macrumors 6502

Sep 2, 2012
  10. macrumors newbie

Jun 4, 2011
    The man is doing nothing short of trying to bankrupt Apple. Apple already has a healthy dividend etc.

Buying some AAPL stocks and then saying that they should going 150 billion into debt for a stock repurchase that will only cause people like him to dump those Apple shares once he has his money and then the stock will crash.

Jobs would of told him to go to hell, Cook needs to do the same.

Oh and he now owns some Ebay shares and immediately says spin off Paypal. So what Ebay can pay paypal fees, that's why Ebay purchased them in the first place.
  11. macrumors G5

Nov 14, 2011
    Who writes this stuff?

12. macrumors 6502a

Jun 16, 2012
    That's not what Carl Icahn is in it for. He wants dollars. He doesn't care how it impacts other investors, the companies he's investing in or even the good of the country. He's driven by greed and only exists to get more.
    A truly despicable SOB.
  13. macrumors 68040

Jun 16, 2008
    Fixed that for you.

14. macrumors 6502

Jan 13, 2014
    He is so pushy and clingy and annoying and shorter sighted... Not to mention creepy...!
  15. macrumors 6502a

Aug 16, 2009
    New Zealand
    lol Apple's never listened to shareholders or customers, I don't think $3b is gonna change that.
  16. macrumors 6502

Jan 13, 2014
    I hope and pray Tim doesn't bend with pressure...
  17. macrumors newbie

Oct 2, 2013
  18. macrumors newbie

Aug 2, 2013
    "I don't always push stock buybacks...but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis. I mean AAPL."
  19. macrumors 6502

Mar 25, 2009
    Icahn should ask (i.e. bribe) Judge Cote to be the next court appointed monitor on the ebooks thing.
  20. macrumors regular

Apr 26, 2011
  21. macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2011
    If he was genuinely interested in a long term investment, he would talk more about reinvesting into different technological sectors and push for dividends based on performance. All I ever see him talking about is the stock being under valued and should be around $840. You saw what he did to Netflix, all he wants is a quick buck.
  22. macrumors 65816

Aug 13, 2011
    Who wouldn't in his position ;)
  23. macrumors 6502a

Jun 23, 2003
    On the Space Coast
    Sure Carl....Apple was created just for you, so that you might get even richer. None of the other 7 billion people on this planet have any use for it. It all about YOU.

Seems to be what is wrong with our world today.....
  24. macrumors 601

Aug 17, 2007
    I think that's the point. To vilify him and make him appear to be a total creeper. Which he is.
  25. macrumors G3

Aug 24, 2009
    Nice to know somebody has $500million to throw about.