Carolinian's Unite?

Discussion in 'Community' started by stubeeef, Apr 16, 2005.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

In the wake of the applespider UK evening, bostonians and chicago-ians threads, the question is, do we Carolinians need a bbq/beer/mac afternoon?

I leave it to you.

Stu in Winston Salem.

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Hmmmm.... Don't know. How spread out are we?

Dave in Davidson

3. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I'm willing to go to charlotte or to raleigh or to host it. Might be fun. I know Clay is in charlotte and sparkleytone in greensboro, a couple more like aeolius in gso but really don't have much feel for the rest.

4. phgreer macrumors regular

phgreer

Don't forget people in South Carolina are Carolinians too. I live in Greenville,SC. My wife and I are members of the local Mac User's Group. I work of a local magazine publisher as my day job and help my wife out with a Multimedia Instruction and Production business during evening and weekends. (It's her full time job). Charlotte is a good place for get togethers however. There is an Apple Store at Southpark Mall. I've got a good friend and brother that lives in Charlotte as well. Charlotte is pretty central to both Carolinas. The Charlotte Panthers is sort of consider a joint team of both Carolinas as the training camp is in Spartanburg,SC (that's where the owner lives as well).

The Greenville,SC Mac User's Group meets in a Meeting room at the local CompUSA one monday evening a month because there is an "Apple Shop" in the CompUSA.

5. atakordie macrumors member

Yeah, phgreer is right... my brother and I live in Clemson & both mac enthusiasts. A good idea. I would come if I can get out of work and class.

6. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I can do Charlotte no problem, best if a saturday though.

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Charlotte is the natural place for such a confluence of Carolinians, since (1) we're centrally located to both states and (2) there's more to do here than there is in Raleigh or Columbia. :)

Sorry if I sound like a Charlotte Chamber of Commerce booster... but I would certainly nominate Charlotte as the best place.

8. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Only two real problems with charlotte, 1 full of yankees, 2 traffic is heavy where-ever there are yankees. :D

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Ah, if only it were so. We've got a school system that's so much of a joke that the towns of Huntersville, Cornelius, and Davidson want to secede from CMS (Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools), a light-rail plan that's ultimately going to cost more than Boston's Big Dig (and it's being built by the same contractors), and a board of county commissioners who are determined to tax us all into the ground. AND a bunch of Yankees.

On the other hand, we have the Panthers (I live 6 blocks from the Stadium and go to all the games), our downtown is actually thriving, and things are actually pretty nice.

I would nominate meeting at Southpark Mall, since (1) that's where the Apple Store is and (2) there are plenty of good places to eat around there, including The Cheesecake Factory, California Pizza Kitchen, Morton's, McCormick and Schmick's, and PF Chang's (at Phillips Place, just a few blocks away).

10. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

OH YEA, Well I live in Winston Salem, home of cigarettes and doughnuts! Like that is alot to brag about, and our ciy council is an amalgam of morons.

11. vieoray macrumors regular

hehe, cool, i live a few miles north of winston (rural hall).

12. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

If you guys can get arn there I'm game. ;-) See you this side of never!

Anyway...get enough people and it might be fun. Kinda like the days when eyelikeart and BacktotheMac got together with some other guys...Duke------ (i forgot his new name) i think and some others. Crazy times. Maybe we can have some too.

13. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

So good of you to volunteer the gathering duties! Wow you are a go getter! :p

14. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Well, I'd go if it was in south park. I think that makes six of us. What does it take to have enough for a meeting?

edit: I might be able to interest Davidson College's Mac guru into coming down for the meeting, so I guess that would be seven.

edit 2: and Stu, if you come dressed like your avatar, I'll buy you a beer!

15. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

If Stu dresses like his avatar, I ain't going. :rolleyes:

16. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

What U don't know is; I am not wearing anything in that picture! :eek:

17. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Ugh. Good thing I haven't eaten yet today. (Now where's the "I feel like I might throw up" smilie?) :)

18. tinydancer macrumors regular

Just caught this thread...

I'm representing Burlington, NC
    proud to be a Tar Heel.

Ya'll got something cooking?

19. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

lol...

I like this idea as well, but since Charlotte is the land of bankers, don't know if i could stomach it. ;-) now come to the southpoint mall in durham, with the apple store and pf changs, etc, etc, and i may make the trip from raleigh! lol

P.S. there are a lot of people that would argue the amount of things to do in charlotte versus the triangle. ;-)

technocoy

or we could just scratch both ideas and go to wilmington for a mac bash on the beach! he he he

20. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Ummm... okay, then. I'll still buy you a beer if you don't get arrested first.

21. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: wrongwrongwrongwrongwrong!

Charlotte is a bit too far for me, as I live north of Baltimore. I'm tempted, though.

22. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Well, I am out on friday, looks like I fly to New Orleans for the day. Saturday I rented a tent for a cul-de-sac party. Mac folk are always welcome, even the communists! :p

23. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

<sigh>

I live in Durham.

What's wrong with Yankees? Still harboring a 140 year old grudge? You look great for your age!

24. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I am wrongly accusing anyone group, just a friendly jab. I have buds that have transplanted up North too, and they get the dumb southerner thing all the time. It is all meant in fun I believe.

bet you have a lot of traffic there though!