Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
I am. Her 30 years heavy smoking, drug abuse and alcoholism certainly marked her. Her voice was deep and husky and she looked terrible about 15 years ago when she was in and out of rehab.

None of this is great for your heart and I don't have to be a doctor to state that.
So does that make you feel better about yourself?

Reactions: Solomani

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I am. Her 30 years heavy smoking, drug abuse and alcoholism certainly marked her. Her voice was deep and husky and she looked terrible about 15 years ago when she was in and out of rehab.

None of this is great for your heart and I don't have to be a doctor to state that.
Unless you are the doctor who signed the death certificate for her or performed the autopsy, (if there was one done) you are not qualified to validate the statement made by the previous poster. Granted, her past abuses affected her body. To what degree, and whether or not said abuses were a direct cause of her heart attack and death, you nor anyone else where who is not privy can say.

How about recognizing we are all frail, flawed human beings who are doing the best we can in our current moment.

Carrie took responsibility for her actions and was able to free herself from several of her inner demons. To that end, I think she is to be commended. She tried to encourage and inform once she had some demons off her back.

Carrie hasn't even been buried yet, and you and the other member wasted no time in taking pious shots at her, instead of stopping to think for a moment, but for the grace of God, there I go.

Instead of focusing on her former faults, why not focus on the joy (if any) she brought to your life, if even for a moments time in a movie, t.v. show, radio, or interview.

Last edited:

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014

Now gone too. No words.
[doublepost=1482980894][/doublepost]
Talk about one of the most depressing posts of the year. A good chunk of those we lost this year. I have a feeling 2017 is going to be more of the same. We are seeing those who we grew up getting older and are probably reaching the end or close to it. Heck I am not looking forward to 2017 given how many folks we have in 70's, 80's, and 90's. This doesn't take into account those who will pass by other causes such as accidents etc. Damn depressing I tell yeah!

It's going to get a lot worse. A lot of big names are out there in their 80's and pushing 90 right now. Don't dare mention them.

Negan Lannister

Suspended
Dec 27, 2016
250f7a1b0ce4c2596ee0c1fa1522ffec.jpg

Planning to watch Singin' In The Rain after I post this as it is one of the classics I haven't seen yet. Seems only fitting with the tears of rain coming from fans because of the many famous people who have died.

What a cruel year. I really do feel sorry for Billie, Joely, and their entire family. Carrie hit me so hard because I am a huge Star Wars and Princess Leia fan. But hearing that Debbie followed her the following day feels like a double whammy. No George Michael pun intended as I have been playing his songs during the last few days and still grieving for his loss as well.

What is sad is the following years could get worse. TV and media boon happened in the 1960's and up. More famous people will die as icons from the 70's and 80's are already dying. Sean Connery is 86. Harrison Ford, Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Paul McCartney, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, and Martin Scorsese are in their 70's. Reality is people just get old, catch a disease, and die. A new year wouldn't prevent anymore people from dying. 2016 seems like the beginning of the end for so many people born prior to the 1950's and whatever random death that might happen to anyone younger.

My only takeaway from 2016 is it taught me that death can happen to anyone and at anytime. That death really is part of life and we need to embrace our time here on Earth because our ending is an uncertainty. Look at Christina Grimmie and Anton Yelchin that didn't make it to their 30's. So make the best out of it. 2016 taught me more about life and death better than any other year. A mortality history lesson. But a painful lesson at that.

I was born Year of the Monkey (1980) but have no plans to remember this year except for the Cavs and Cubs winning titles. Heck, I am still grieving for Alan Thicke and Craig Sager's deaths that happened two weeks ago! I'm still sad at Robin Williams' suicide and The Ultimate Warrior death from two years ago! Three famous deaths since Christmas Sunday, imagine? That's harsh and it is the final week of the year.

2016 probably has desensitized me now that if Michael J. Fox (from his PD) and Christopher Lloyd (age 78) died in the same year, it wouldn't shock me anymore. All the icons I grew up just die and it becomes a downer for days or even years that I may never get over with like if our parents or children dies. I guess that picture of Mother-Daughter I posted earlier has a little more meaning tonight. RIP to Mother & Daughter. Two wonderful spirits together now..

1228-debbie-reynolds-carrie-fisher-together-photos-3.jpg

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Unless you are the doctor who signed the death certificate for her or performed the autopsy, (if there was one done) you are not qualified to validate the statement made by the previous poster. Granted, her past abuses affected her body. To what degree, and whether or not said abuses were a direct cause of her heart attack and death, you nor anyone else where who is not privy can say.

How about recognizing we are all frail, flawed human beings who are doing the best we can in our current moment.

Carrie took responsibility for her actions and was able to free herself from several of her inner demons. To that end, I think she is to be commended. She tried to encourage and inform once she had some demons off her back.

Carrie hasn't even been buried yet, and you and the other member wasted no time in taking pious shots at her, instead of stopping to think for a moment, but for the grace of God, there I go.

Instead of focusing on her former faults, why not focus on the joy (if any) she brought to your life, if even for a moments time in a movie, t.v. show, radio, or interview.

I didn't take 'pious' shots at her at all. I enjoyed her work and had a lot of respect for her as detailed in my posts. How dare you excuse me of that!!! I'm very disappointed your misinformed accusation has actually got likes too.

Reactions: MRU

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
I didn't take 'pious' shots at her at all. I enjoyed her work and had a lot of respect for her as detailed in my posts. How dare you excuse me of that!!! I'm very disappointed your misinformed accusation has actually got likes too.

I actually agree with you here, he totally missed the point of your post.

Carrie was a good actress and I loved her work to include her making fun of herself on Big Bang. That being said, the abuse most likely had a huge affect on her and most likely contributed to her short life. Sad, but that is what happens when we abuse ourselves.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Whatever your feelings, this is sad news. No one here should be appointing blame .. Sadly death is an inevitability regardless of what 'lifestyle' one leads and as my old teacher taught us ...

'Errare Humanum Est'

Or 'To Err is Human' ...
we all make mistakes.

Instead of the focus being the cause of death, we should focus on the life, the joy and the brightness that person brought into the world and into the lives of others.

Two of Hollywoods genuine royalty and ones who didn't live in a 'bubble' but admitted to their demons (I'm sure there isn't a person here who has not got one or two skeletons in the closet).

So let no more finger pointing take place on this thread please and let's celebrate two lives that were ...

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Whatever your feelings, this is sad news. No one here should be appointing blame .. Sadly death is an inevitability regardless of what 'lifestyle' one leads and as my old teacher taught us ...

'Errare Humanum Est'

Or 'To Err is Human' ...
we all make mistakes.

Instead of the focus being the cause of death, we should focus on the life, the joy and the brightness that person brought into the world and into the lives of others.

Two of Hollywoods genuine royalty and ones who didn't live in a 'bubble' but admitted to their demons (I'm sure there isn't a person here who has not got one or two skeletons in the closet).

So let no more finger pointing take place on this thread please and let's celebrate two lives that were ...
Agree. Leave the trolling for Twitter and FB. That's what they are there for.
Celebrate the two of them.
Such a sad loss for the friends and family left behind.

Reactions: MRU

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Agree. Leave the trolling for Twitter and FB. That's what they are there for.
Celebrate the two of them.
Such a sad loss for the friends and family left behind.
I wasn't trolling, I was simply giving an opinion on her lifestyle. Maybe it was the wrong thread to discuss that. I wasn't trolling though and don't appreciate that word being used to describe my input. In fact I'm furious that it was even considered. I've shared positive feelings towards her here too.

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
I wasn't trolling, I was simply giving an opinion on her lifestyle. Maybe it was the wrong thread to discuss that. I wasn't trolling though and don't appreciate that word being used to describe my input. In fact I'm furious that it was even considered. I've shared positive feelings towards her here too.

I don't think it is the wrong thread, I just think that people need to get over it. People die and having a discussion as to why it happened is not wrong. Not sure why some people have to get all high and mighty in this thread.

I'm sure Carrie would have said get over it.

Again, I think that Carrie and Debbie did wonderful work and they will be missed.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I don't think it is the wrong thread, I just think that people need to get over it. People die and having a discussion as to why it happened is not wrong. Not sure why some people have to get all high and mighty in this thread.

I'm sure Carrie would have said get over it.

Again, I think that Carrie and Debbie did wonderful work and they will be missed.

Having a discussion on why people died is one thing, but these posts are not taken in isolation. And, here, @daflake, I am not referring to your posts.

Individuals on these threads build up an online reputation.

Therefore, someone whose posts elsewhere have been marked, or characterised, by an ungiving, ungenerous, and profoundly judgmental mindset when posting on these threads, who then proceeds to post after the tragic death of a flawed but gifted, brave and honest artist, and seeks to focus simply and solely on the 'lifestyle' choices that they may have made, and the issues they may have faced subsequently, as a consequence, may often be missing much of the point of the significance of the artist in question, in terms of their life and work, especially where these intersected and overlapped and informed one another.

Last edited:
Reactions: skinsone

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I am so saddened by the latest events in Hollywood... :(

I planned to see with friends "Rogue One" in the evening and that is the day Carrie died...

*Rogue One Spoiler Alert*
My friend who had seen it told me "Rogue One" went into "A New Hope", but I didn't know it was essentially an IMMEDIATE transition into it, with Princess Leia appearing at the very, very end on her ship with the plans to go to Alderaan.

Now her Mother passes, who was in one of my favorite movies growing up, "Singing in the Rain"....

So sad...

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just reading about Billie Lourd, who is Carrie Fisher's daughter; she will have lost two rocks that sustained her, defined her, and supported her, in a family of formidably strong (if troubled) but gifted, and wonderful women: Her mother, Carrie Fisher, and her grandmother, the legendary Debbie Reynolds who have died within 48 hours of one another; this is truly tragic for their close family members who have been left behind.

Reactions: skinsone and MRU

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Having a discussion on why people died is one thing, but these posts are not taken in isolation. And, here, @daflake, I am not referring to your posts.

Individuals on these threads build up an online reputation.

Therefore, someone whose posts elsewhere have been marked, or characterised, by an ungiving, ungenerous, and profoundly judgmental mindset when posting on these threads, who then proceeds to post after the tragic death of a flawed but gifted, brave and honest artist, and seeks to focus simply and solely on the 'lifestyle' choices that they may have made, and the issues they may have faced subsequent, as a consequence, may often be missing much of the point of the significance of the artist in question, in terms of their life and work, especially where these intersected and overlapped and informed one another.
It's not in reference to my posts either.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

VideoFreek

Contributor
May 12, 2007
Philly
Therefore, someone whose posts elsewhere have been marked, or characterised, by an ungiving, ungenerous, and profoundly judgmental mindset when posting on these threads, who then proceeds to post after the tragic death of a flawed but gifted, brave and honest artist, and seeks to focus simply and solely on the 'lifestyle' choices that they may have made, and the issues they may have faced subsequent, as a consequence, may often be missing much of the point of the significance of the artist in question, in terms of their life and work, especially where these intersected and overlapped and informed one another.
As usual, Scepticalscribe, an eloquent and thoughtful post that is right on the mark. As a person who values above all else scientific and intellectual rigor, I would add a different perspective that has not been brought up on this thread so far. Some posters seem to believe that Ms. Fisher's death was a direct result of her earlier substance abuse, as a sort of foregone conclusion. One even asserted to "know" that this was indeed the case:

I am [qualified to say that Carrie's earlier lifestyle problems were the cause of her heart attack]. Her 30 years heavy smoking, drug abuse and alcoholism certainly marked her. Her voice was deep and husky and she looked terrible about 15 years ago when she was in and out of rehab. None of this is great for your heart and I don't have to be a doctor to state that.

Others seem to want to turn this tragedy into some sort of moralistic teaching moment. Consider this gem:

Virtually all of the early celebrity deaths this year were directly related to lifestyle choices, including serious drug abuse or dangerous sexual practices. If you are leading, or have led, that lifestyle, then you will not likely see 70 years either. Is it sad that these talents are lost to us at an early age? Of course. It's hard to feel sorrow however, when one causes their own early demise due to lifestyle choices.

While it is certainly a plausible hypothesis that Ms. Fisher's struggles with substance abuse contributed to her early death, it also might be wrong. There are other plausible hypotheses.

One is that she simply died of heart disease, unrelated to substance abuse. It happens. According to the American Heart Association, about 60 women aged 55-64 per 1000 annually have a heart attack or fatal CHD. Source.

Another hypothesis is that this was a tragic complication of her bipolar disorder. You can read all about it here, but the gist is that certain cardiac risk factors are correlated with bipolar disorder, and besides that some mood stabilizers used to treat the disorder can exacerbate these factors.

All we know, therefore, is that we don't know what led to her too-early departure. What I do know is that humanity is diminished by the loss of her tremendous humor, sharp wit, and incredible self-deprecating honesty. And if it is indeed the case that her mental illness in some way contributed to her early death, than that is sad beyond words--no ifs, ands, or buts (or moralizing) required.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Didn't specifically say you were. Just thought that the discussion in the thread was going somewhere I didn't want to go (hence not a twitter or FB person). I'd rather we all just focused on the positives in their lives.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Now gone too. No words.
[doublepost=1482980894][/doublepost]

It's going to get a lot worse. A lot of big names are out there in their 80's and pushing 90 right now. Don't dare mention them.

Not saying their names out loud. Nope. Not gonna do it! I agree with it getting a lot worse.

What a sad week for that family. Ugh, sister and mother almost back to back. UGH!
[doublepost=1483035773][/doublepost]
In a recent survey they found out 1 out of every 1 people die.
It's the bit you do before that matters.

And Carrie brought happiness to millions. I was surprised to read some of the things I didn't know she did and some other great movies she worked on as a script editor.

That is a scary stat if you ask me! :D:eek::D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.