Cars won't start

Discussion in 'Games' started by sorsakovski, Dec 25, 2006.

1. sorsakovski macrumors newbie

My kid got Cars the videogame for christmas present. I installed it on my iMac (2,16ghz, 2gb, intel core 2 duo, osx 10.4.8). After installation installer said (in finnnish) that installation is ready but it can't check disk space or something (Log.txt file below).

Game did not start so i downloaded and run cars_intel_updater patch but that did not help.

I have no uninstalled and reinstalled (in several locations) game many times (also in external hard drive) but nothing helps, game just doesn't start.

What could i do, kid is getting angry?

log.txt: (finnish text is about same as english)

>>
    (25.12.2006 21:30:30), Install, com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl$DiskSpaceCheck, wrn, Tarvittavan levytilan määrän tarkistus edellyttää, että tiedostojärjestelmä tukee levytilan tarkistusta.
    (25.12.2006 21:30:39), Install, com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl$DiskSpaceCheck, wrn, Tarvittavan levytilan määrän tarkistus edellyttää, että tiedostojärjestelmä tukee levytilan tarkistusta.
    (25.12.2006 21:30:39), Install, com.installshield.product.actions.Files, wrn, Cannot set file attributes: operation is not supported by the current file service implementation.
    (25.12.2006 21:30:39), Install, com.installshield.product.actions.Files, wrn, Cannot set file times: operation is not supported by the current file service implementation.
    <<

2. LastLine macrumors 65816

Silly question but have you tried a reboot at some point?

3. sorsakovski thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, i have rebooted after installing, after uninstalling and after patch.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Are you installing with admin privs? Some games won't install on non-admin accounts (which is dumb), but I've found that you can usually grant admin privs, install, then revoke them.

Edit: there seem to be numerous reports of it not running on Intel Macs, either with or without the patch.

5. sorsakovski thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, with admin privs.

I tried to search if someone else has had same problems but could not find many (that means I could not find them). Do you know if anyone has found any solution?

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm downloading the demo (slowly) now. I'll report back.

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Pre-patch version won't start. Slowly downloading patch now.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Sorry, can't help you - when I apply the patch, it ceases to run without the game CD, which, obviously, I don't have. Apparently, owners of Intel Macs cannot run the demo.

9. sorsakovski thread starter macrumors newbie

10. VivAna macrumors newbie

here is the answer

Hello after trying so mutch i found the following solution.

Start Terminal (APP-UTILS-Terminal)
    type CD /
    type CD Volumes
    TYPE LS
    Something like Macintosh HD or HDD1 appears
    If your CARS CD is in SLOT Than DISC! is also present
    TYPE The following SYNTAX
    LN -S DISC1 DISC2
    Now you have created an Alias of DISC1 with the name DISC2 and voila
    the game runs.
    WHY The Patch for what reason ask to insert DISC2 but there is no so the Alias tells CARS that DISC2 is in slot.

Greetings Thomas
    MacBook Pro 17" (Thomas)
    MacBook Pro 15" (Anja)
    MacBook 13,3" (Vivien)
    MacBook 13,3" (Anakin)
    PowerBook 15" (for Sale)

11. DavidV macrumors newbie

Similar installation problem

I purchased Cars the video game for my son for Christmas, and when I click on the installer icon, the DVD whirrs a minute, but nothing happens. This sounds similar to the initial problem of this thread, but I am not on an Intel Mac, and the fix that was identified I do not believe will work for my computer.

I checked the system requirements for the game, and they seem to meet all the required specifications:

I have a Powerbook laptop purchased in 2006
    1.67GHz PowerPC G4
    512MB PC2700 (333MHz) DDR SDRAM, single SO-DIMM
    1 GB Total RAM Memory
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 with 128MB of DDR SDRAM and dual-link DVI
    8x SuperDrive DVD±RW/CD-RW

When I insert the DVD, the installer icon appears ("IS" icon) but nothing happens when I double click on it. Nothing at all... DVD drive spins a bit, but no error message, no system crash, no new window appears, no instructions, nothing at all... then eventually the DVD drive stops spinning and all is done.

Does anyone have any ideas? I hope / think that my Macintosh will support this game, but am not sure why it won't install.

Thank you!!

12. Gasu E. macrumors 68040

Gasu E.

Try closing down the choke before you crank it.

13. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

What happens when you command-click on the icon?

14. DavidV macrumors newbie

I will see what happens when I command-click this evening... my company doesn't use Macs unfortunately so I have to be at home. Thanks for trying to help!

15. mugrad macrumors newbie

DavidV-

I just found this thread as I am having the same issue. While I have a MAc mini, the specs you listed are very close to mine. I haven't been able to get through to THQ's customer support people yet. Did you have any luck fixing the issue? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

-mugrad

16. DavidV macrumors newbie

THQ is still working on the problem

Hi - I got through to THQ support, but they are unable to fix the conflict. They have had several reports of similar problems with not only the Cars installer, but also installers for other THQ games ever since Apple released the latest version of QuickTime. THQ is working with Apple to resolve the conflict and will notify us of a fix when they figure it out.

I am writing back this week to chase and see if they are making any progress... in the mean time, the game is hiding in my desk and my son seems to have forgotten about it!

Please follow this same discussion on another forum:
    http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=301409#post304982