Cartoon effect

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by harveypooka, Nov 29, 2006.

1. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Feb 24, 2004
    Does anyone know of any cartoon type effects for iMovie or something that'll give some sort of colour block effect? I've had a hunt, but can only find pay ones that modify overall colour...
  2. aricher macrumors 68020

Feb 20, 2004
    Are you talking about something that will convert your video to cartoony outlines ala Waking Life or A Scanner Darkly?
    I don't think there is anything that does that effect automatically. Those movies were created by hand painting and rotoscoping multiple frames. You could always export your movie to individual frames and the run a Photoshop filter on each (batch automate) and then recompile as a movie.
  3. harveypooka thread starter macrumors 65816

Feb 24, 2004
    Hmm, I thought of that effect in the back of mind and thought - impossible! But now that you've mentioned it, hell yes! I did love the rotoscoping effect in A Scanner Darkly, but I preferred that it was yet another Philip K Dick novel adapted to a movie - finally people might start reading MORE PKD!

Anyway, that sounds exactly what I need. Hmmm, I'll make some weird effect tonight and try out this automation thing. Can you give me any tips on how to do this? I have a Photoshop CS2 Demo that I haven't installed, so I can use that.
  4. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Aug 11, 2005
    Behind the lens
    frame by frame is the keyword.

youd need to export every frame of your video into a pic format that is preferably as lossless as possible (TIFF etc)

then import the frames into Photoshop, one at a time

do your magic

repeat over and over and over.... (batch processing would help here)

AFAIK there is absolutely NO filter or add-on that can accomplish this and make it look smooth and nice. (cutout filter is a start)

HAND touch makes all the difference here.

Its basically hand animation, so you can imagine the amount of time and work involved in trying this.
  5. harveypooka thread starter macrumors 65816

Feb 24, 2004
    I can imagine, but cannot comprehend the patience and skill required to do that! My short film is of a mate saying some quite bizarre things and it's just going on YouTube. No more movies will be made by me for a while as my Canon MVX300i was stolen a few weeks back.

What I'll do is play around with some effects and get a result that looks half decent. I may endeavor to improve it at a later date. But that would mean editing 3 mins of footage, so at 29 fps thats 5,220 files. :eek:

I have a feeling my video really isn't worth the bother! One thing I did love about A Scanner... is that they messed about with perspective a lot too, they'd shift the floor so it appeared false and they'd also show briefs bits of 'real' footage just to scare you. Once you'd become accustomed to the rotoscoping, it really weirded you out...
  6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    well using imovie your best bet is to do what was suggested. it won't look as good as the rotoscoping in the movie, but that's obvious. it's worth a shot.

another amazing piece of software that is out there for a similar thing (automated drawn effects) is called studio artist, and is put out by synthetik

check it out:

it's not free, but they might have a free demo or something... it also won't look as good as doing it by hand (preferably being skilled at it too!), but it can give some awesome results if you use it right, and they have really solid support, answering specific questions, etc.
  7. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Depending on how much of a cartoon effect you want, you could use the Colour Posterize in iMovie's edit. Move the slide fairly close to the Min and you'll get a slightly cartoonised look.
  8. SRSound macrumors 6502

Jun 7, 2005
    just out of curiosity, how would you import a massive ammount of still photos into iMovie and have them become frames (preferably 24fps) - I tried once and the fastest I could get them was somewhere around 0.5ec each!
  9. Jopling macrumors 6502

Jul 14, 2004
    The easiest way to do this is to import the video into Adobe/Macromedia Flash and then rotoscope in there. We did it for about a month back in highschool. Its real easy that way and you can duplicate the previous frame and alter so you dont have to draw the whole thing again.