Case Manufacturers Ramping Up for Radically Redesigned iPod Nano, Updated iPod Touch

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 7, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In mid-July, Japanese blog Mac Otakara claimed that Apple has been undertaking a significant redesign of the iPod nano, moving to an oblong form factor with a larger, rectangular screen and a home button. As shown in a rough rendering accompanying the post, the changes would make the iPod nano appear more like a smaller version of the iPod touch, although it would presumably not run a full version of iOS.

Reports of a revamped iPod nano have continued to surface since that time, with Mac Otakara also adding fresh claims that the new iPod nano will include Wi-Fi capabilities in order to support iTunes in the Cloud.

[Image removed upon request]

Case manufacturers are now getting into the act, and if their designs are based on legitimate leaked design information, it does appear that Apple is planning for an iPod nano redesign in line with recent rumors. The case designs come from an Italian accessory manufacturer and include both silicone and crystal cases. The new cases are not yet available on the vendor's site, but the company is advertising them to third-party retailers.

The new iPod nano form factor appears reminiscent of the iPod mini, although rumors indicate the front will carry a large screen and home button rather than the smaller screen and click wheel of the iPod mini. Openings along the left edge of the case suggest that the new iPod nano will have some external controls such as volume buttons in the same location as seen on Apple's iOS devices. A pair of small holes are also present at the bottom center of each of the cases, and it is unclear whether these are for a speaker or some other feature of the device.

The vendor is also offering silicone and crystal cases for the new iPod touch, and the designs are in line with previously-seen cases. Like previous cases and in line with rumors, these new iPod touch cases contain a round hole in the lower left corner of the back, and it is unclear exactly what this feature is intended to accommodate.

Update 12:18 PM: Images removed.

Article Link: Case Manufacturers Ramping Up for Radically Redesigned iPod Nano, Updated iPod Touch

2. macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Apple still make iPods?! :D

3. macrumors member

*Eats salt mine*

4. macrumors 65816

My fingers are crossed for a new iPod Touch. I want an up-to-date iOS product but I can't afford an iPhone.

5. macrumors 6502

iPod nano with home button ? :eek:

6. macrumors 6502a

Let's hope it won't look like a chinese KIRF.

7. macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

iPod Nano is doubled in size? And no longer suitable as a wrist device (which Apple promoted at the last event)?

I call BS.

8. macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

If they do update the iPod touch, I'm going to buy it the second the Apple Store web page is back up.

Apple, shut up and take my money!

9. macrumors regular

AppleMactablet

Will the iPod Classic just die already :D

10. macrumors member

So, no new Nano Watch for me then.
    Never mind

11. macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

If its the same price as the current nano, having an iPod nano with WiFi would make a great living room/kitchen/bathroom iPod.

12. macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Boy, that "iPod Touch" case look a lot like the "iPhone 5" leaks we've seen?

Let the "We've seen the iPod Touch, not the iPhone 5" speculation begin...

13. macrumors regular

gregwyattjr

Is Apple's going back to the G2 design with the nano :confused:

14. macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

iPod touches don't typically have iPhone written on their back.

15. macrumors 6502a

malnar

No. I don't recall a single iPhone design that we've seen showing the "mysterious hole" in the lower left corner of the back, but that's been shown on a number of Touch mock ups.

16. macrumors 68030

Patriot24

So let me get this straight. You think that logic is going to factor into the analysis around these rumors?

Funny guy! :p

17. macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Same. I like wearing my nano as a watch. Have to wait and see if this is true or bs. Then stock up on current models or get a new one accordingly.

18. macrumors 6502

19. macrumors 6502a

miniroll32

Typical Apple... Their designs have come full-circle once more!

Come to think of it, why not just call it the iPod Mini? Makes sense since we already have a Mac Mini and a supposed iPad Mini.

20. macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Seeing an ipod is a rare sight nowadays

21. macrumors 6502

nano like the other nano with a scroll wheel, but entirely touch screen w/ home button.

apple couldn't keep the form factor of the "wristwatch" nano, because they wouldn't be able to include wireless/bluetooth technology.

22. macrumors 6502

They're probably to accommodate a strap.

23. macrumors member

Nano's potential

In smaller and less developed countries the nano has so much potential (if done properly). This is just an opinion, but WIFI and free itunes match for nano users, 16 gb memory, 2 or 3 mp video camera, remote for any Mac.. 80€. perfect.

24. macrumors 68000

Spock

I'm starting to wonder if that hole in the back of the Touch could be a speaker, the new design might be to thin for the speaker to be in the same position as the current Touch, this would put the speaker in close to the same position as the speaker on the iPad 2 & 3 I also don't think it's impossible for Apple to keep the current generation iPod Nano as a low cost option.

25. macrumors regular

May just be me, but the first and second case in that pic look, or reminded me of, the Nokia Lumia 900 phone? Especially in the second one. Obviously the nano won't be the size of the Nokia. Those rounded bottom corners are what caught my eye.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]