Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

We've published a number of articles about iPhone 5 cases suggesting that the device will be significantly wider but thinner than the iPhone 4, but most of those cases have been sourced from relatively low-profile Asian suppliers so far. As noted by BGR, larger U.S. companies such as Case-Mate are now getting into the picture with their own cases based on the same rumored design.

Case-Mate earlier today posted a number of different iPhone 5 case designs, only to quickly pull the page as it began to receive publicity. The cases seem to show the same rounded and tapered profile of other iPhone 5 cases, along with the mute switch being move from the left side of the device to the right side.

case_mate_iphone_5_cases.jpg

Concrete evidence for a redesigned iPhone 5 has been surprisingly scant, with case designs being essentially the only sign of such a revamp. Meanwhile, a number of parts have been surfacing for Apple's "N94" iPhone that is based on the iPhone 4 design and has been informally referred to as the iPhone 4S. Consequently, doubts have been raised about whether the redesigned form factor will actually be making an appearance, with supply chain checks reporting no sign of the device and only the iPhone 4S entering production.

It is difficult to point to Case-Mate's posting as further proof of an imminent redesigned iPhone 5, as the cases are likely based on the same leaked design document used by Asian manufacturers, a document whose authenticity has been called into question given the lack of supporting evidence for such a device. But it is interesting to note that even relatively major U.S.-based case manufacturers are investing in designs for cases based on this form factor.

Article Link: Case-Mate Preps for Release of iPhone 5 Cases with Revamped Design

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Was wondering when MR was going to post this lol, quite a bit of traffic in the other thread on this :cool:

I'll take the silver brushed aluminum one please.

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
The fact that this page was already taken down pretty much confirms this as true.

Personally, I'm really excited to see the curved, aluminum back returning.

We're getting close!

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
So if the design is not correct - what are they doing with these? Or are these only "studies" without commercial value? Are they being produced or are these prototypes?

number9

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2004
USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

One thing I noticed on their new splash page is the part speculating about the announcement date. They say rumors have pointed to the iPhone 5 announcement coinciding with Macworld Asia which runs from Sept 22 to Sept 25. I've NEVER heard anything about that. Could mean that they DO know something and accidentally slipped and thought it was something from a rumor. Thursday the 22nd would be a good day for an Apple event.

Duzer

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2010
Even though it was taken down so early, they could have just wanted to keep the masses from criticizing them. Or it could be accurate, who knows. Apple has done an A+ job this year at keeping there products under veil

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Whatever the iPhone 5 winds up to be, you have to give Apple credit for doing a good job really tightening up security. It's still up in the air completly as to the iPhone 5 design with only probably 2 weeks before the announcement.

Tony

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

One thing I noticed on their new splash page is the part speculating about the announcement date. They say rumors have pointed to the iPhone 5 announcement coinciding with Macworld Asia which runs from Sept 22 to Sept 25. I've NEVER heard anything about that. Could mean that they DO know something and accidentally slipped and thought it was something from a rumor. Thursday the 22nd would be a good day for an Apple event.

If that's true look for an invite today or tomorrow.

njaremka

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2010
would it be totally out of line to say that all these iphone 5 design rumors could actually be the new ipod touch? i mean, they look EXACTLY like the current ipod touch models, with the exception of being slightly bigger. wouldn't this design for an iphone 5 be a step backwards?

sdm1985

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Those event invites are just a click of a button away, I'm sure of it. Within the next hour maybe?

imMICHAEL

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2010

I brought this up a second ago in the other thread about how Macworld Asia is mentioned..

I think it's going to be very likely that we see the unveiling there.. seeing as media will already be there and let's face it: once the news gets out, it's going to be all over the web and front pages. We don't need a press event here in California for that. Apple's broken plenty of 'cycles' so far, just chalk this up with the rest of them.

campingsk8er

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2011
Elizabethtown, PA
Ahaaaa,
I have an idea, I believe this is the new iPod Touch, because if you notice, they NEVER show you the front, they just show the back,
So yupppp, its the iPod Touch 5th Generation

cajun67

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2011
I'd say that these aren't even physical prototypes, this image is just a 3D rendering. IOW, they aren't committed to it at all, and it could just be a play for traffic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.