Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TonyBaloney

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2007
Katy, TX
I'm trying to find a good case for the iphone but Im looking for a particular style. I like this Incase but the screen is all hanging out there on its own. Is there a case that has that style but has a flap that covers the screen when not in use ( I dont like those protective screen cover things). Yea I know Im being picky but I want a really good case to protect my $600 investment.

tasslehawf

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2003
Austin, TX
I preordered this one:

1.jpg

http://www.senacases.com/Brands/Apple-iPhone-Cases/SENA-MAGNETFLIPPER-CASE-FOR-iPHONE

Since it's not coming till august, I bought one of these in the mean time:

iph_129_a.jpg

http://www.myincipio.com/category/0_apple_iphone_cases_accessories.cases.orion_case/

silentstar

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2005
I'm trying to find a good case for the iphone but Im looking for a particular style. I like this Incase but the screen is all hanging out there on its own. Is there a case that has that style but has a flap that covers the screen when not in use ( I dont like those protective screen cover things). Yea I know Im being picky but I want a really good case to protect my $600 investment.

Why don't you like the protective screen covers? I bought the incase rubber cover you mentioned and the Crystal Film Set from the Apple store. It is an awesome combination. The film goes on and comes of very easily, doesn't affect typing or dragging your finger. Best of all, I noticed that it has reduced the smudge factor by 50% if not more! When using the film in combination with the incase rubber case the film edge neatly tucks in underneath the lip of the case. I am so happy I think I'm gonna pee my pants. The only trick with the film is application. Just make sure to use a microfiber cloth or something (not a terry cloth towel) to avoid little hairs from sticking to the back of the film. Try it, you won't be disappointed!

fbx

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
Why don't you like the protective screen covers? I bought the incase rubber cover you mentioned and the Crystal Film Set from the Apple store. It is an awesome combination. The film goes on and comes of very easily, doesn't affect typing or dragging your finger. Best of all, I noticed that it has reduced the smudge factor by 50% if not more! When using the film in combination with the incase rubber case the film edge neatly tucks in underneath the lip of the case. I am so happy I think I'm gonna pee my pants. The only trick with the film is application. Just make sure to use a microfiber cloth or something (not a terry cloth towel) to avoid little hairs from sticking to the back of the film. Try it, you won't be disappointed!

I can't find the Incase Protective Cover. Says unavailable of the Incase site. You know somewhere to buy it online?

Joshua8o8

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Honolulu, Hawai'i
i love my iphone set up. i have a belkin accrylic clear case to protect the iphones exterior and a power support protective clear film to protect the screen from scratches. But damn the iphone does feel really good in my hand when i had to take it out of the case to put the film on. O well at least the phone is protected.

Limey55

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
case

I opted for a vertical case with a belt loop. I had one for the Blackberry made by this company and it was great. Seems to take them a bit to make it though.

I also HATE ( I cannot stress how much ) belt clips. I have yet to have any that have not popped off at some point. They will let you chose color and belt loop/ belt clip, etc.

http://www.fortte.com/scr/details-376/Apple iPhone.html

I am eagerly awaiting this case and pray I do not drop this piece of gold before it comes.

Limey55

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
ya....

I'm going screen protector free.... I have been able to clean it to 'like new' shine since I have had it. No rubber cases for me either. I will just try to be careful. I do wish it had some sort of safety cord on it to wrap around my hand when using it so it would not slip out.

i love my iphone set up. i have a belkin accrylic clear case to protect the iphones exterior and a power support protective clear film to protect the screen from scratches. But damn the iphone does feel really good in my hand when i had to take it out of the case to put the film on. O well at least the phone is protected.

woodbutcher

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
it is a slippery lil sucker, especially with the 90 degree days, and the 99.999% humidity here in Chicago. I have dropped mine several times, I should be a phone test dummy.

Jim82

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2007
Seattle
I use the Incase (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=DEE1ABF3&nplm=TN563LL/A) in Black, and the Power Support Crystal Film (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=B319498&nplm=TN612LL/A).
They work great, the screen is protected by the power support film, and the back, sides and front are protected by the incase.
The support film is really easy to use, clean and re-apply. I was worried about the touch screen working the same, and it works great with the flicking, pinching and typing. So no worries as far that goes. and it uses static, and so no sticky slime gets left on the iPhone screen. If you just dropped 500$-600$ on your phone plus tax, you better strongly consider getting a 30$ case and 15$ protective films.

Malamutt

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2007
Case-Mate - Leather

So I bought a case mate on Saturday the day after the iPhone came out.

Good news! Love the case.... worked great... clip was a little difficult to push to get the phone to detach from the belt clip but hey... I'ts a clip!

Bad news! It broke. Not just break but to the point were if it didn't do it in my hand my phone would have fallen and hit the ground. The plastic clip that connect to the leather case just sheared off.

My vote for Case Mate Leather iPhone case is! NO!

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I opted for a vertical case with a belt loop. I had one for the Blackberry made by this company and it was great. Seems to take them a bit to make it though.

I also HATE ( I cannot stress how much ) belt clips. I have yet to have any that have not popped off at some point. They will let you chose color and belt loop/ belt clip, etc.

I am eagerly awaiting this case and pray I do not drop this piece of gold before it comes.

That looks like a pretty nice case. That is ideally what I wanted when I bought the Belkin Holster, but the thing was too tight, after which I heard that it gets way too loose after only a few days. I bought the Griffin Elan Snap-in from the Apple store which is nice b/c I can turn it to 90 degrees (it clicks in steps) and I can put the screen face in or out. It is snug yet not impossible to pull out and easy to use the phone in the case. Also has speaker and mic holes perforations in the bottom for sound and a dock port cut out for cable attachment.

I am waiting though for my most of the time case to come which will be a foofpod bag from http://www.foofshop.com though I can say I do like that fortte case with the magnetic top clasp. I have a similar case for my digital camera and that is a useful feature. Though on my camera's case, the clip is just metal, no leather covering, and can be completely removed if need be.

rustyhoge

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2003
Baltimore, MD
Vaja Cases - Top quality

I had a Vaja Case years ago for my iPaq and loved the quality. iPhone case on order. They are pricey.

Check them out at vajacases.com

Rusty

Lenow

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
Case Mate Experience

I tried a bunch of cases and have temporarily settled on the Case Mate. I am waiting for the holster to arrive. The actual case is quite nice, form fitting and doesn't interfer with any functions. Can't charge inthe cradle though, but not a big issue for me. My problem has been with the connector that screws into the case. The belt clip is great, tight, secure, no slipping. But, the clip screws out of the case very easily and makes the ratcheting device on the clip irrelevant. If you turn the case clockwise, all is well, But if the case goes counter, it screws itself out. Also, the release on the belt clip is very tight. This is a blessing and a curse. It won't jump out, but answering a call requires a strong hand on the clip release. I am hoping the holster makes these other issues moot.

vespagirl

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
Connecticut
I'm glad I'm not the only one with a case dilemma. The reviews on all the cases seem to be all over the map. I can't find the perfect combination of secure clip and drop protection on the corners and bezel. Every time I think I've reached a decision, a new piece of info rolls in with a dealbreaker. Fit issues with skins, belt clips breaking off, dirt getting in and scratching the bezel, corners exposed, ports covered, holsters not secure enough, etc.

Any clip fans out there who can suggest a good holster or clip for me that won't launch the device?

Any good ones with a skin or case combo?

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
So I bought a case mate on Saturday the day after the iPhone came out.

Good news! Love the case.... worked great... clip was a little difficult to push to get the phone to detach from the belt clip but hey... I'ts a clip!

Bad news! It broke. Not just break but to the point were if it didn't do it in my hand my phone would have fallen and hit the ground. The plastic clip that connect to the leather case just sheared off.

My vote for Case Mate Leather iPhone case is! NO!

I'm not surprised. I didn't like that ratchet clip on the back so I opted for the Case Mate flip style case combo with the holster.

http://www.case-mate.com/s.nl;jsess...c026.e3eSbNyQc3mLe34Pa38Ta38Mchj0?it=A&id=255

sinemacula

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2007

I've been looking at this one too... or the horizontal version. I'd be interested in your impressions once you receive it and have a chance to use it for a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.