Case?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jessep28, Nov 12, 2006.

1. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

This is more of a case type preference than a "which case" question. I want to know which class of reviews to go off of.

Do you prefer backpacks or side cases?

I ask this because I am graduating in the Spring and I don't see the justification of dropping $100 into a laptop compatible backpack if its only going to be used for 6 months.

However, if there is a practical application for backpacks in the business world, then I can see purchasing one. Side attache cases though seem to be the norm.

On the other hand, for school, the attache cases scream "LAPTOP" especially since I will still have my backpack for books and leave the opportunity open for theft.

2. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Grakkle

You could buy a sleeve like one of these and then you can put it in the backpack you already have.

It's about the most inconspicuous way to carry a notebook that I know of.

That way you can buy an attache case later, when you graduate. (BTW, I'm a student too, so I probably don't have the best idea of the business world, but I don't think most professionals use backpack cases. Unless you work for a super-hip California-style type company.)

3. jessep28 thread starter macrumors 6502

jessep28

That's what i originally intended. I guess I was sidetracked by people saying their notebooks were destroyed in their normal backpacks.

4. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Grakkle

Hmmm. I suppose it depends on what sort of things you carry in your backpack. I could see a computer getting wrecked in some cases. (Pun intended.)

I have mostly books and various kinds of crud in my backpack, and I just sort of nestle the notebook in on top or at the back - just to keep the heavy stuff off it.

I also have an attache case that I use when I want to just carry the computer and a book or two, and when I know that it won't be getting out of my sight.

5. jessep28 thread starter macrumors 6502

jessep28

Not more than one or two books at a time.

6. jaws01 macrumors member

I work in the "business world" and carrying a backpack just makes your look "childish". As some people recommended carring a laptop sleeve would make the most sense for you. I myself carry a small attache case just perfect for my 13.3" Macbook.

Here's my Macbook bag.

[​IMG]

7. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

I have to say, carrying an attache case in college makes you look really pretentious (all the business students here have to have one, and you can pick them out a mile away) and carrying one with a backpack just looks tiring.

I also think it looks pretty funny when real working adults wear backpacks, and they don't really exist in the business world- so I'd agree with getting a sleeve for the backpack you already have.

8. jessep28 thread starter macrumors 6502

jessep28

9. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Of course it also depends on what you expect to be doing for a living, once you're out...

If you're not a business major then a backpack - or perhaps a messenger-style bag (my preference) - may very well be acceptable. I can tell you if I started carrying a briefcase I'd probably get laughed at - I'm a web guy and sysadmin.

Edit: Okay, it does sound like you're a business major. Never mind then. :D

10. jessep28 thread starter macrumors 6502

jessep28

Yep, I am an accounting guy.