Cases that don't cover bezel? [iPad 2]

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by KylePowers, Apr 3, 2011.

1. KylePowers, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011

macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations or if anyone wanted to get a list started for iPad 2 cases that don't cover the bezel.

Currently, I'm using the Griffin case from launch day... And while it's done me well, I've consistently been looking for a case of better quality and functionality (like the sleep/wake function). And the way this case slightly covers the bezel makes it annoying and uncomfortable for me when I'm taking notes (Nataal stylus + UPAD).

My preferences:
    • Sleep/wake function
    • Leather
    • Stand functionality (landscape mainly, but portrait is also welcome)
    • Typing position (aka wedge-like)
    • Note taking position (ability to go flat)
    • Back-camera hole
    • Slim, sleek, professional

Just off the top of my head (for non-covered-bezel cases), I can think of:

Any others? Opinions? Pictures? My iPad 2 is black and I'm a college student, in case those factor in. Thanks!

Cheers,
    KP

EDIT: List updated 4/9/11

2. macrumors 6502

I was told that Chinao will be releasing a Vaja clone in a few weeks. From what I hear it will meet most if not all of the preferences you listed. No pictures yet that I know of.

3. macrumors regular

Marware CEO 2 shipping end of this week direct from Marware. Otherwise you can save a buck on amazon and wait a little longer. Pound for pound this is the best folio case available in terms of value and functionality. I ordered the libretto and the Marware CEO 2 to do a side by side comparison, will probably regret the vaja in the end but had to get my hands on one. :).

4. macrumors regular

Pile frama just came out with a nice leather cover for just the back and it works with the smart cover too, check that out too.
    Problem there is by the time ur done With buy the PF and smart cover it's the same price as the vaja and not as sexy. Just a thought for you.

5. macrumors member

6. macrumors 6502a

+1

I'll second this endorsement for the Marware CEO case. The version for the original iPad was like wrapping the iPad in armor without adding excess bulk. The fact the the case doesn't cover the bezel was what made me first take notice of it. It also looks as if the iPad 2 version will have magnets for the on/off functionality of the Smart Cover. Definitely looking forward to getting one.

7. thread starter macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Never heard of Chinao, but I'll keep an eye out. Thanks!

Do you mean the Marware CEO Hybrid case? I like the style of it, but I'm not a fan of the carbon fiber look. The MicroShell Folio is kinda neat, but doesn't suit my leather preference.

Oh yeahh, I've seen that before. If only it was leather =\

Anywho, I've updated the list to reflect the 2 Marwares and STM Skinny. Thanks everyone, keep 'em comin' =D

8. macrumors 6502

Check this out. It's a review of Chinao's Vaja Agenda clone for the iPad 1. I actually sold my $280 Vaja and replaced it with this $40 case when I handed my iPad 1 down to my daughter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-RY3inof6A&sns=em

9. macrumors newbie

STM Skinny

I just talked to a lady at STM and she said that the magnets shouldn't put the ipad to sleep when you fold the cover around to the back like other slim cases do. The back is a piece of plastic and should prevent the magnets from putting the ipad to sleep.

She also mentioned that when they took the case over to apple to have them take a look at it they all loved it and thought it was one of the best cases they've seen. obviously this is from the manufacturer of the case so there is that...

I ordered mine through ebags and got free shipping by signing up for some shop-runner service. I plan to cancel my free trial to shop runner before it expires and I have to pay.

2 cents.

10. macrumors regular

Nice case, love the minimalist style. Not crazy about the belt loop and the corner holders overlapping covering the bezel. Not that it's a huge deal, but they just look odd. Maybe they would hide nicely with a complimentary color, like black on black.

Great case for the money though.

11. macrumors 6502

I LOVE this case. Any word on one coming out for the iPad 2? I really like how it doesn't cover the bezel

12. macrumors 6502

Supposedly within the month. A dealer is going to contact me when they're available and I'll be posting here if someone else doesn't.

13. macrumors 6502

I have an STM skinny on the way, but I'm real interested in the Piel Frama iMagnum. It works in conjunction with the Apple smart cover, so cost between the two is up there, but I like the look.
    (click on each image for larger version)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. macrumors 6502

Awesome. Please keep us updated!

15. macrumors 68020

Blorzoga

16. macrumors member

Keep us posted. Chinao case looks great.

17. macrumors regular

18. macrumors regular

19. thread starter macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Yeah, that's on the list, and I like how it looks... But I'm not sure what it's made of (don't think it fits my leather preference), nor do I believe it has the sleep/wake function. *sigh*

20. macrumors regular

You're right..no leather and no sleep/wake.

21. macrumors regular

22. thread starter macrumors 68000

KylePowers

23. thread starter macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Brown Chinao | Black Chinao ?? Doesn't look like they have sleep/wake. Nor do they look like a very good Vaja clone lol

These cases by Macally look pretty decent... don't think they have the sleep/wake function either though =( ... but then again, the description does say the cover snaps shut with "hidden magnet closure"

[​IMG]

They have this pretty neat Targus-360-like case on their website
    [​IMG]

24. macrumors regular

Op,
    The Macally case does shut with the magnet, however it does NOT put the iPad to sleep :(. Keep the suggestions coming folks! I'm in the same shoes as the Op. Haha.

25. macrumors 6502

No, that is not it. Chinao's Vaja clone for iPad 2 hasn't been released yet and there are no pictures available anywhere of it.

Here are some pictures I just took of their Vaja Agenda clone for iPad 1 which I purchased recently. I really like it and I'm hoping the Vaja clone (w/ sleep/wake) they produce for iPad 2 will be just as good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]