Casio Exilim digital cameras with Mac...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by furthur, May 21, 2003.

1. furthur macrumors member

Anyone used them? Any thoughts on how they interact? Thoughts on the camera itself? Thanks.

2. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

Re: Casio Exilim digital cameras with Mac...

What is the exilim camera, a watch camers? Any links?

3. furthur thread starter macrumors member

It's a cool toy...

Perhaps the smallest camera I've ever seen. The size of a credit card and about as wide as an iPod. Mike Gordon, the bass player from Phish, had one yesterday and he was snapping some photos in my office. He said he loved his and it took great pictures. Over three megapixels. I'm just wondering how they interface with Macs and if anyone else could comment.

The link to the site is here (I hope it's OK to post):

http://exilim.casio.com/

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Re: Casio Exilim digital cameras with Mac...

The three seconds that it would have taken for you to go to the Casio Exilim's specification web page would have shown you that Casio explicitly supports PowerMacs with every version of the MacOS since MacOS 7.6.1.

5. furthur thread starter macrumors member

You're so gracious.

The difference between the specification page (which I did visit) and forums like this is here you hear from people who've actually used the products, not the people who are selling them.

I know they work with Macs. I want to know if they work well, and if they're worth $400.

6. bidge macrumors 6502

My friend an X-PC user has one. I took around my powerbook and plugged it in and it automatically worked with iPhoto without any problems whatsoever. His is the MP3 one so I continued and dropped an MP3 onto it and it worked fine.

He's now got his own Powerbook...

7. fatcow242 macrumors newbie

Re: Re: Casio Exilim digital cameras with Mac...

Way to be helpful buddy.

Anyway...I was looking into that camera too, I played around with a friend's--I like it, especially the compact size. The pictures were good quality as well, not stellar, but good. I assume it works fine with iPhoto, etc. although I didn't try it myself. Instead, I opted for the Pentax OptioS.

8. bidge macrumors 6502

As I mentioned it does work fine with iPhoto...

Anyway I also choose not to get an Xslim for lack of optical zoom at the time and the chip wasn't of a very high quality, so the pictures aren't awesome fantastic quality. I do like it's size but int terms of usability for me, it was too small. I found the buttons too hard to use but it will vary from user to user...

9. junco927 macrumors newbie

Steve Wozniac loves his Casio Camera, checkout Woz.org for his thoughts.

10. Mblazened macrumors regular

i own and use my exlim camera with my powermac all the time. It sits in a cradle and mounts instantly as a removable drive (disk image). Its awesome, this camera rocks and its so small no one believes it's real. Amazing compact and stylish design. Its super-thin and gets chicks. Smallness matters!

works great with jaguar

11. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

Re: Re: Casio Exilim digital cameras with Mac...

The first camera we got was an ADB Casion QVC-100 (oh yes!)... and even since then Macs have been fully supported. I'm not saying that I know about your particular camera works, but I'd bet on it.

12. pauld macrumors regular

I got the 3.1 megapixel version the other week and the images are, well.... a bit grainy.

13. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I saw it at Wal-Mart and it was an impulse buy.... and a damned good one. This camera doesn't pretend to be high-end, and it isn't. What it is is an incredibly small package that takes excellent quality "casual" pics. Of course it works perfectly and speedy in iPhoto, and frankly the quality of the shots blew me away. I purchased some prints from Apple online, and the 4X6's I got back are easily as good as my $300.00 35mm camera and the prints I get from Walgreens. Bigger than 4X6? No way. Web work? Beyond excellent. The quality of the shot? Great for what it was designed for. In fact I use nothing else now. Take a look at:
    http://homepage.mac.com/leskern/PhotoAlbum14.html
    That's the Exilm. Not perfect, but up to almost any task.