Cassette to MP3's

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by chazmox, May 23, 2003.

1. chazmox macrumors regular

I have some recordings on cassette that I would like to transfer to my iPod. Does anyone have any idea how to do this?

I have a FP iMac. I was thinking about using the mic input on the computer - will QT pro record off of this and save to MP3?

Or is there another sw package I can use. Don't really want to buy QT pro again - already bought it once and then lost it when I upgraded to jaquar!

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Re: Cassette to MP3's

go to versiontracker.com there are loads of shareware and freeware programs that can record. I'm not actually familiar with the OS X ones, but for OS 9 there is sound studio, coaster, and others. these record to aiff, which you then convert to MP3. Its nice to have a program that can do some basic editing, so you can adjust the beginning and end of each song (cause unlikes ripping a CD, there's no way it can automatically know where one track ends and another begins), and being able to do a little bit of basic clean up is nice too.

3. benjaminpg macrumors regular

You can in theory use your microphone input, but I would recommend against it. First of all it is probably mono. Secondly the internal apple ones are generally not of very good quality. Instead I would recommend getting a product such as the iMic from Griffin Technology. This will allow you to record stereo input, and is better quality than the mic input. Next you will need a program to record. I would recommend the free Spark ME, available for download here

You could also use this program with your mic input, but for the reasons stated above I would not recommend it.

4. chazmox thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks this should help. With some of the files, mono is ok. Others stereo would be nice. I'll take a look at this solution.

5. chazmox thread starter macrumors regular

Is the mic input stereo or mono? I'm not too worried about quality, because these are not music tracks, but some info would be lost listening in mono mode ( they are special hynosis tapes ).

6. benjaminpg macrumors regular

I assumed that you were recording music. Mono should be fine for that use, unless the listener needs to have a sense of where the voice is coming from. I have no clue about hypnosis, so I might be completely wrong on that point.

The apple site says that only the 17-inch model even has a line-in port. I assume that you have this model, or you wouldn't have asked. It doesn't say whether it is mono or stereo, but I would guess it is mono, just because that is what historically apple has used, and it is meant for a microphone, which only needs mono.

You still will have the problem of the input being inside the computer which generates extra noise and static from all the electrical components.

Good luck