Cassini finds WATER!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by stubeeef, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

Jan 30, 2004
    having a drink at Milliways
    really cool.
    who knows when we'll be able to send a probe there for samples
  2. treblah macrumors 65816

Oct 28, 2003
    It would be so cataclysmic if life was found on another planet! I can't wait to see what comes of this.
  3. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

Jan 30, 2004
    having a drink at Milliways
    it's just a matter of time, though admittedly it could be a very long time
  4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

Nov 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Why wouldn't it be good news?
  5. mdavey macrumors 6502a

Nov 1, 2005
    Because there are rather a lot of religions that either overlook the possibility of extra-terrestrial life or deny its existence. Which would lead to even more religious arguments, religion vs science crusades and general soul searching by some religous leaders.
  6. EGT macrumors 68000

Sep 4, 2003
    digg reported this earlier on as Nasa having found life in our solar system and they were going to make a major announcement. I was so excited. :(

But this is still really cool :D :eek:
  7. Orlando Furioso macrumors 6502

Orlando Furioso

Apr 12, 2005
    or maybe the news will shut up all this chatter.
  8. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Apr 26, 2002
  9. macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2002
    Bay of Fundy
    exactly. I hope we find life somewhere else very very soon, because it might finally get people to shut up and realize we're all in this together. Stop fighting and realize we can be so much better off to just help each other. Petty sectarian differences would seem so insignificant, maybe we'd finally have progress toward a planet that isn't constantly threatening to destroy itself
  10. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Apr 1, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I like your thinking, but I think it's going to take a lot more than just finding life elsewhere to get religions to work together.
  11. MrSmith macrumors 68040

Nov 27, 2003
    Wishful thinking. Here's a sequence:

tribe vs tribe
    country vs country
    'continent' vs 'continent'
    planet vs planet

We've reached the 3rd.
  12. igucl macrumors 6502a

Oct 11, 2003
    This could easily turn into a political thread.

I will join in saying that this is an intriguing discovery.
  13. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Awesome discovery. Always a good thing to find. Hope it pans out that liquid water is indeed present. Why would the religions have a problem with it? Humans didn't know about other planets when they invented the reilgions so we could just file in extra-terrestrial species into the books. It's not like we're going to find intelligent life on Cassini so there's no way to refute it.
  14. EricNau Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    How could liquid water be present on a moon that far away from the sun? :confused: It would be very cold.
  15. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Most likely from an internal heat source. There are moons round Jupiter that are kept warm by the gravitational pull from the planet. It is so huge it causes the crust of the moon to flex in a similar way to the oceans on Earth. The huge energy from the friction creates heat. Io is one of the most volcanic moons (if not the most) in the solar system and most of it's heat comes from tidal sources. Mind you, it's shooting massive geysers of sulfur into the air instead of magma but it's still pretty cool.

There is a moon called Europa orbiting Jupiter that is widely regarded as the most likely place for life, it has a water ice crust that is suspected to be formed over an "ocean" of liquid water heated by the tidal pull of Jupiter.
  16. Kup macrumors member

Nov 2, 2005
    That's pretty cool. Astronomy was one of my favorite classes in college. Kind of makes you wonder how often or seldom this happens in our solar system, let alone the millions of other planets and moons out there.
  17. MacSA macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2003
    Recent Cassini images of Saturn's moon Enceladus backlit by the sun show the fountain-like sources of the fine spray of material that towers over the south polar region. This image was taken looking more or less broadside at the "tiger stripe" fractures observed in earlier Enceladus images. It shows discrete plumes of a variety of apparent sizes above the limb (edge) of the moon.

Full size image:
  18. whooleytoo macrumors 603

Aug 2, 2002
    Cork, Ireland.
    So sad, but so very true!

We're not becoming more tolerant, we're just escalating the conflict.
  19. AndyR macrumors 6502a

Dec 9, 2005
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I really hope life is found elsewhere in the universe soon too as I just think it would be cool. Come on I mean look how big it is and if we are the living things, thats an awful waste of space!

Even if life is found a lot of people wouldn't beleive it anyway. All these radical religions would just say its a tactic to try and dispell there belief anyway so just let them think that...
  20. Josh macrumors 68000

Mar 4, 2004
    State College, PA
    I think we are still at #1 in many senses. #2 to some extent, and #3 as well.

I can't think of any religions that flagrantly deny the possibility of life elsewhere.

The Bible certainly doesn't (my copy of the King James Version begins with: "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.")

And, there are so many descriptions in the Bible (spinning wheels of light, etc) it makes one wonder....maybe they've already seen what we've been looking so hard to find.

The Koran is definitely more accepting to science and, in a sense, is more scientifically accurate, and is open to the idea (but, given nearly 500 years time, one should expect it to be more scientifically sound).

Hinduism flat-out proclaims there is life on other planets (even lists the numbers of species, planets, etc).

Very fascinating to think about!
  21. unixfool macrumors 6502a

Jan 21, 2006
    Northern VA
    There are certainly a good amount of NON-religious people that don't believe in extra-terrestrial life, too.

I'd not worry about what someone doesn't believe. That's almost as bad as religious nuts trying to force you to believe.
  22. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Awesome pictures! This stuff just amazes me.
  23. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    You're probably right. We'll join together as we're about to be eliminated by people from another world. :D Still, for a moment or two, it will be unity.

Good that they've found water out there but is it distilled water and can they bottle it and sell it here? Imagine how the price of fancy Earth water will drop once they truly find more imported stuff. ;) "It's not just good for Saturn, but even for Ur..." :D Quite a slogan, don't you think?
  24. Stella macrumors 604

Apr 21, 2003
    In an ideal world, such as announcement of life on other planets shouldn't be withheld because of religous reasons. Religion must adapt.

If such an announcement was made, the religious freaks would just point out their demons ( if intelligent ), or something stupid like that, whilst reading out a passage from the bible.

Unfortunately, religion has way too much influence on the world.