Cast and crew of "Passion of Christ" repeatedly struck by lightning

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Durandal7, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3209223.stm

I would comment on this but I feel it speaks for itself :p

2. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Hmmmm.... I don't like Mel Gibson..... have always been fairly indifferent to Jim Caviezel..... will see the film anyway...... but

HA!

3. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Perhaps the man upstairs isn't pleased with the way the movie has been going thus far...

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I bet it's more from stupidity during inclement weather than God being pissed off :p

5. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I'd like to think God has a sense of humor, as well. ;)

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Yeah, that would be cool. Nothing like asking God "Pardon me, but do you have any Grey Poupon?" or dumping a flaming bag of dog **** in front of the pearly gates. But then there's the consequences, I don't fancy being struck by lightning very much :D

7. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

I guess this disproves Christianity :rolleyes:

(Note: That was a sarcastic remark mocking people who try and use incidents like this as "proof" for the supernatural belief-of-the-day in a serious way, many of whom are ironically Christians.)

8. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I think Zeus is pissed he's not getting equal time.

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

man, what are the odds of that happenening. kind of reminds me of martin luther of the protestant reformation, but in a backwords way. anyways the movie looks great. i watched the preview a long time ago and will be interesting to see how mel sees the last 12 hours and compare it to my thoughts over the years. but from the look of the previews, it will be gory and non sugar coated.

iJon

10. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Probably better than the odds of any of them winning the jackpot lottery... ;)

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I liked the 'smoke coming out of his ears' part. Nutso and it would be quite spooky to say the least. But to survive 2 lightning strikes is a miracle in itself - if they get a third strike.......:eek:

D

12. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

According to the Book of Revelation, you shall know the man of the beast (the antichrist) for he shall be a false Christ (an actor portraying Christ) and shall receive a head wound (struck by lightning and smoke coming from his ears) and then recover for a second coming (the continuation of the movie and later resurrection in the movie). He will be raised up and praised (movie critics giving rave reviews) and shall be praised by all. After this, the First Angel shall cry out the message throughout the waters (coming out internationally) and this shall harken the end time (the apocalypse). :D

13. rjrufo macrumors regular

Someone told me once that the odds of winning the lottery are about equal to being struck by lightning twice.

If that's the case, they should go buy a lottery ticket, they are due to win.

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

:eek:

so when is the movie supposed to be released? I'll need some time to prepare myself for this ;)

D

15. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

I'd always heard you had a 6 times better chance of being struck by lightning (don't know where?!), but I guess that would vary depending on where you live and what kind of lotteries you have!

- just found this:
    Q: Is it true that the odds of winning the lottery are worse than being struck by lightning?

A: No, even if we just consider the awarding of large jackpots. In 1996 1,136 people won $1,000,000 or more playing North American lotteries. An additional 4,520 won $100,000 or more. By contrast, 91 people were killed by lightning. In addition, there's no second prize in a lightning strike. In a lottery, you win lesser amounts of money by coming close to the winning numbers. On many games odds of 1 in 5 or 1 in 4 are not uncommon. Lotteries award over $50 million in prizes in North America every day. Lightning isn't nearly that productive.

This is good!

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I ran across a story not too long ago about a preacher in the midwest somewhere who was preaching to his flock, arms raised, when the church was struck my lightning and he was electrocuted through the PA system. The congregation took it as a sign of favor from God somehow. Weird.

17. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

18. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

*Killed*, not *struck*. Remember that.

19. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

That was so clever I almost didn't know what the link was going to be for before hovering over it.

What's your problem with Mel Gibson?

20. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

sooo strange... I really like mel gibson though. Would be a pity if he was a target of "above." ;)

21. manzanita macrumors member

hahahahaha... do you have the reference for that (especially the head wound part)?

22. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

So based on the lightning vs. lottery theory, I assume Florida is the best place to play the lottery.

23. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Just read the book of Revelation...it's all in there. I am taking a class on the Apocalypse and just finished a 8 page paper on why the Catholic church is the beast and the pope is the antichrist so right now I am able to just spit out line after line from Revelation and Daniel.

24. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

My problem with Mel Gibson? I don't know..... part jealousy, I suppose. Mostly I just don't think he's all that talented. I hope this movie proves me wrong.

I know I'm in a small minority, but I thought Braveheart was pretty BLAH, just like I thought Gladiator was pretty BLAH. But hey, that's just me...... I was hoping Babe would win Best Picture over Braveheart. :D

25. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah really.

We all love the God who controls lighting and even though he had a wife had several (many) illegitimate children!

:p

I like Gibson... but IMHO I think this is god saying
    'Your getting the message wrong'

Possibly about implication with jews... maybe other stuff.