Castaway Returns on Friday, BBC1!!!!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by PreacherKane, Mar 7, 2007.

1. PreacherKane macrumors 6502

Hello there everyone.
    Castaway returns on Friday on BBC one in the UK.
    Castaway was the original reality tv show in the UK, back in 2000. It took a group of complete strangers and put them together on a deserted Scottish Island for one year. The group was made up of families as well as single men and women from different social and ethnic backgrounds, living in very close proximity to each other.
    It was one of my favourite shows of that year and it showed the viewing public all the trials and tribulations that the community faced and overcome.
    It was the first of it's kind and was honest in it's depiction of reality tv. It has returned and I fear it will go the way of every other reality show. They will force people with conflicting views together to try and get "Big Brother" type of arguments and fights. They have only picked single people to join this time round. The requiste gay guy, the lapdancer, the school teacher, the high-powered buisness woman. You get my meaning. Also the original castaways were there for a year, while this show only lasts 3 months.
    I hope this show is as much fun as the original but I fear it will be the show that everyone will try to ban due to the back-stabbing and bitchiness.

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

The original Castaway brought us Ben Fogle. This wasn't a good thing.

3. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Ben Fogle is more of a man than you or I will ever be.

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Ben Fogle? Who once decribed himself as "a bit of posh totty"? :rolleyes: No really, there are few more genuinely irritating people than BF…

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

What about if you were to combine the pair of us? Would he be more man than the pair of us put together, I wonder? ;)

6. PreacherKane thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, everyone needs to dial down the Ben Fogle love. :D
    It's getting rather moist in here.:p

Right, now it seems to me that the series has a real chance to recapture the innocence of the first series, if they do it right. But they will more than likely turn to the "Jerry Springer" style of tv. With people shouting and swearing for no reason other to get on Richard and Judy.
    On a different note, Channel 4 haven't ruled out a return for Jade Goody. They have staff as I write trying to find a project for her when she returns.:mad:
    Is there no justice in the world?:(

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I didn't see the original. Sounds like a decent reality show this, Danny Wallace involved? He's my king, still!

8. PreacherKane thread starter macrumors 6502

The original series was better than all the other reality shows because it lasted a year and the viewer got the chance to see a community grow. They faced a shortage of everything and had to build and grow alot of things to make their lives more comfortable. Also there was only one camera, so it wasn't about catching girlies naked in the showers or rubbish like that.

9. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I seem to remember too something along the lines that each islander was allowed one case of luxury goods to last them the year – and one of the containers containing said cases fell off the boat transporting it in a storm, leaving the hapless islanders lacking a lot of stuff like clothes and toiletries?

10. PreacherKane thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, there was some sharing of clothes and stuff.:)
    All the newspapers are talking about,is the lapdancer, so I don't have too many hopes for the series being good. Just exploitation tv.
    Pity, it could have been fun. :p
    There's always Shipwrecked on T4.:rolleyes: :D

Support Your Local Musician on MacRumors.com:apple: :D