Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Photo real or fake?

• Real

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Fake

Votes: 10 66.7%

• Total voters

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
I wanted to see what some of you guys thought about this picture, from the AP. http://apnews.myway.com/image/20060...0813062244.html?date=20060813&docid=D8JFHSF00

ADDITION_CUBA_CASTRO.sff_NY110_20060813062244.jpg

Some of you guys that work in photoshop can probably give a better guess than me, but I say its fake. I could be wrong but I think the newspaper looks odd for some reason.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
Heb1228 said:
I wanted to see what some of you guys thought about this picture, from the AP.

Some of you guys that work in photoshop can probably give a better guess than me, but I say its fake. I could be wrong but I think the newspaper looks odd for some reason.

The newspaper looks fake probably because it's a one-off the gov't printed specifically for use in that photo. It's the paper that makes it look odd...it's obviously not the rough pulp that the average newspaper uses. It's definitely a propaganda photo, but otherwise I think it's genuine...

just my opinion

jive

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2006
Scotland
Definite fake - the headline on the newspaper is too dark for the quality of light the photo was taken in.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
beatsme said:
It's the paper that makes it look odd...it's obviously not the rough pulp that the average newspaper uses.
I meant the text on the paper looked strange to me, not necessarily the brightness of the paper itself (though that is slightly odd). Like jive said, the lighting and it just doesn't seem to lay on the paper that way it should.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
Heb1228 said:
I meant the text on the paper looked strange to me, not necessarily the brightness of the paper itself (though that is slightly odd). Like jive said, the lighting and it just doesn't seem to lay on the paper that way it should.

now that I'll give you...it does look a bit too dark, doesn't it?

but put in after the photo was taken? If so, that's some damn fine work...

I would guess that, if anything, the newspaper was re-touched (levels, curves) to make it jump out a bit...

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
I saw a few minutes of a 2002 documentary about him and he didn't look that well, so I'm guessing fake.

Love the Addidas top on him though, the colours really suit him :D :D

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
jive said:
Actually, what's the context of the photo?

*hasn't been keeping with world affairs*

*US still blowing up creepy foreigners*

actually, Castro had been hospitalized for a while (for what exactly I'm a bit unsure...heart ailment I think), and his brother had been acting head of state during his stay. So I'm guessing this is a recovery room photo.

EDIT: it was a gastro-intestinal ailment, in fact. It required surgery, so I'm guessing this would qualify as a post-op photo...

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
dbhays said:
What I find amusing is the Red White & Blue jogging suit he is wearing. :eek:

they are the Cuban national colors...curious, no?

Attachments

• Flag.gif
    Flag.gif
    3.4 KB · Views: 100

dbhays

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2005
Salinas, CA
beatsme said:
they are the Cuban national colors...curious, no?

It does resemble more of the US Flag than the cuban flag though. I doubt Adidas would make a track suit based upon the cuban flag. But thanks for posting the flag, I found it interesting. Always like learning new things.

Sorry for derailing this thread.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
the Cuban flag is based on the US flag.

At one stage they were planning to apply to become a US state.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
dbhays said:
It does resemble more of the US Flag than the cuban flag though. I doubt Addidas would make a track suit based upon the cuban flag.

having worked in the garment industry, I have no doubt that Adidas would try to cash in on the Cuban thing. The company where I worked made a freakin' mint off of Puerto Rican/Cuban patriotic stuff. It's HUGE in Florida. The only reason we didn't do Mexican patriotic stuff is because Mexico does not allow the national flag to be used in that way i.e. for tshirts, promotional items, etc...

dbhays

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2005
Salinas, CA
beatsme said:
Mexico does not allow the national flag to be used in that way i.e. for tshirts, promotional items, etc...

Obviously you have never been to Salinas!

But back on track, that photo does look photoshopped, but I am not sure why they would really need to do that. Photoshopping has been getting quite a few journalists / photographers / nations / states / orginizations in trouble lately.

mrblah

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2006
Real. The text is just as black as the adidas logo, so that doesnt prove its fake unless the adidas logo is fake too (which would be silly). You also have to ask why they would photoshop something so stupid. What else would he be holding up? Cat Fancy Magazine? If they wanted to photoshop something they would have done something more sensational rather than a stupid paper which would have been easier to just print out first.

Due to the adidas logo and the fact that there is no reason whatsoever to photoshop something trivial like that, it has to be real.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.