Casts and water

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by emw, Jun 6, 2006.

1. emw macrumors G4

emw

My daughter broke her arm on Thursday, and yesterday we got her fitted with her hard cast. The good news is that they expect it to heal normally. The bad news is they expect it to heal in about 6 weeks.

Now, my daughter is 5, and is just getting ready to start summer camp, in which they head to the pool for a couple hours 3 days a week. Hearing that she can't go to the pool has been tough on her, since she loves the pool. We asked about a "water resistant" cast, but were told it wasn't a good fit for the type of break she has - they're not as supportive.

Her cast runs from her wrist to just below her armpit (which, on a 5-year old, is maybe 14 inches or so?). For baths, we wrap a plastic bag around it to keep the water out. Does anybody have a better solution to this problem?

I've searched around for some sort of covering designed to go over a cast, but so far have had no luck. I was thinking of getting a large rubber glove of some sort and securing it with some 3M waterproof tape (designed for holding bandages) for temporary water use (splashing, not submersion). Anyone ever tried something like this?

I'd like to be able to have her at least go to the pool and play in the zero-depth areas since she can't get fully into the water, but relying on the camp counselors to do a good job tying a plastic bag on her arm is not my idea of a reliable solution.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Every way I want to respond is crass and rude. Sorry. :D

3. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I had a cast about 10 years ago as well. I can hardly remember what we did (I was 10 at the time) but I think we weren't able to come up with anything better than a bag over it for bathing.

I think I just didn't go to the pool, but I was older and wasn't at camp watching everyone else do it.

4. riciad macrumors 6502

5. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

hmm, about 14" you say...

well, from personal experience, might I recommend a condom (such as Magnum)?

I'm serious (about the suggestion at least).

PS Thanks for the inadvertent motivation iGary...

6. RugoseCone macrumors 6502

I had a broken foot at the age of 13 and was in a cast. Two weeks prior to having it removed I was fed up with the heat of August and wanted to swim. So an older brother wrapped it in a plastic bag and duct taped it to my leg.

I can't recall how long it was submerged, but it did okay at keeping the water out. Enough got in though to cause some damage to the cast. The bottom was a bit rotted out at my heel and the ball of my foot. The worst part was during removal. The cotton had gotten wet and dried out, but it was a bit moldy. Oh the smell. I can still see the nurse that cut it off of me, cringing at the rankness.

7. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

That is awesome! Thanks - I'll be checking out the covers. The prices are actually pretty reasonable.

It's not the length, it's the girth. With the cast, her arm is about 4" in diameter. Even the condoms I have to use won't fit that. ;)

8. riciad macrumors 6502

I thought the prices looked pretty reasonable too. I nearly didn't look at the prices before posting the link and then thought I'd better check in case they were too exorbitant.

A small girl's happiness is definitely worth that kind of money.

I sympathise with her as many decades ago I'd regularly get an extremely virulent dose of poison ivy the first week of every summer holiday and had to spend weeks looking at everyone else swimming and water-skiing at the cottage. I can still remember how miserable I used to feel.

9. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

All I have to say about that link (that hasn't already been said) is "what the heck is the guy (or woman) with the leg cast cover doing SCUBA diving without fins and a wetsuit (and possibly no suit at all)?? That has got to be one of the oddest pictures I've seen lately. :D

I hope the protectors work out for your daugher, emw!