Cat hair in display...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iGary, Sep 17, 2005.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

So yesterday I am checking Mail, which I generally keep on the right-hand display, and I notice what appears to be a cat hair on the screen. No problem.

Off to the kitchen to dampen a paper towel and give the LCD's a wipe down (usually do this once a week for dust) but I find out that the hair is not on the screen, it is IN it. Somehow it (and now I have discovered a couple of more) managed to get in between the protective plastic cover and the LCD. Yep, tried the vaccuum - didn't work.

Now. Am I an idiot for wanting to take this to my local Apple Store and ask for a replacement? My opinion (and correct me if I'm being stupid) is that these things shouldn't suck up dust like this (and I am very careful to lightly wipe down the display every week as instructed in the manual).

It's only going to get worse, and now I have an $800.00 diaplay with a cat hair righ in the middle of Mail, and another smaller one right where I usually use Text Edit.

What would you do?

2. tekmoe macrumors 68000

I would call Apple and stress to them that your other Apple products (if you have any) do not have hair inside the screens, and neither do your friends'. Then stress about how you think this is not normal and you'd like some type of fix. If that don't work, call corporate.

3. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Sorry, had to laugh.

Seems a monthly thing with "weird" things getting inside laptops.

The guy with the ant was a corker too... :p

4. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I thought Apple ACDs are sealed as there is no opening vent on ACD's case. One of the benefits of ACDs, among others, is this design prevents dust accumulation inside the ACD (on the contrary, Dell's LCD has so many vents on the back and unless you have the dust-free room, you would end us with so much gunks inside the LCD)

If a cat hair gets inside the screen, I may need to add extra air cleaners (I'm already running 2 filter based cleaners and 2 ionic air cleaner) help me deter the similar problem to my ACDs. Can someone find out how that hair gets in ACD? I am looking at my ACDs and I cannot find the gaps.

5. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

This one's a Cinema Display. :)

Seriously though, shouldn't the incide os thse things be sealed against stuff like this?

I think I am basically going to walk into the Apple Store (make a Genius appointment) with my receipt (it was nearly a $6,000 system all told and it is only two months old) and explain it nicely and not leave without a replacement.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Interesting to say the least, i doubt they will do anything but its worth a try but whats to keep another hair from getting in a new one?

7. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Hopefully the new one isn't defective, right? :)

8. mpw Guest

So iGary's having problems with ***** hair on his screen? Not a million miles from the problem you posted last week on embarrassing moments!

9. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

LOL :D

I miss my Midshipman friend. :(

10. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Hairs shouldnt be getting in there. I would take it back, explain nicely as you said, and insist on some action....

Maybe also have a screen saver as a viscious dog so your cats stay away ;)

11. RobHague macrumors 6502

A better solution would be to sell the cat. Or at least dont let it sleep near your Mac, no tell kitty no matter how sexh that system is it cant touch! :D

But yeah i dont know how you managed to get hair 'inside' the screen :confused: i cant see any gaps anywhere on mine. Are you sure its hair? Not a long scratch (kitty using your screen to sharpen its claws ;) ) or something...

12. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

LOL - The can never gets up on the desk, so it must have some off of my hand. There is also an eylash in there.

Making an appointment with the Apple Store tomorrow. I'll take the box and the whole lot back and just insist on a new one. I mean honestly, that kind of stuff shouldn't get in there. It's supposed to be sealed.

13. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

I notice that its a Thermonuclear Reactor™.

Have to think about the "cone" of air that is being sucked in through the front.

Is it pulling the paint yet off the wall its stting opposite???!!!???

14. kasei macrumors 6502a

kasei

I have the same problem on my 17" PowerBook. I thought it was cracked but nope, there is a piece of hair right next to my hard drive icon. I suspect it worked its way in their while it was in my bag. I carry my system in a Brenthaven backpack and I am sure the pressure of carrying it flexes the screen from time to time. I am positive that is how the piece of hair worked its way in there.

I have been tempted to take it to the Apple store, but I have not had the time to do so. I will try the vacuum trick to see if the pulls it out. Other than that I am not going to worry about it unless it begins to migrate across the screen.

15. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Well that is the thing - I have three other monitors in this office and they all get dust like the other..but none of them have an eyelash and a cat hair inbetween the plastic and the LCD.

I'm already getting an attitude about this. I need to remember to take it in, and just not leave until they give me another. Calm, Gary, calm.

16. California macrumors 68040

California

It is irritating to me to even think about, much less own a screen with cat or various other hairs of life staring at me on my computer screen.

I'd have Apple on the phone pronto. There has to be a crack or opening somewhere for this to be happening.

17. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

I suppose the explanation "cat hair gets everywhere" doesn't help you any, does it? Have you considered shaving the cat? I have - usually when I find a very comfortable cat sitting on top of a pile of freshly laundered clothes (that are sitting on top of a clothes horse for that very reason).
    Apple should give you a replacement - it's not a good sign for hair to get inside the LCD. Like you said - remain calm, this isn't an airport ;)

18. jkandell macrumors member

This is somewhat off topic, but with PCs a great solution is to put a small piece cut from a sponge taped inside the air intake vent. You want to make sure not to stifle the air flow, of course, but it's a cheap way to filter out hair coming in. I have dogs and cats, and get major hairballs inside; I had to replace a fan once because of hair clog. Not sure if that would work with monitors.

19. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Can we have a pic of this famous hair in the screen? I know you have huge cameras with awesome macro modes. ;)

20. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

[​IMG]

I've already got the box out - taking it back tomorrow morning first thing. I seriously can't use the thing the way it is.

21. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Keep us posted. Interested to see how this plays out.

22. kasei macrumors 6502a

kasei

Definitely let us know what happens. I am in the same boat and would love to take my back if it is possible.

23. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Maybe a scratch instead?

My laptop had a defect in the lcd from some stuff that got caught inbetween the lcd layers during the manufacturing process.

Quickly made it known and had another shipped out to me. ;)

24. applekid macrumors 68020

If Apple doesn't clean it/replace it, would it be too much trouble to disassemble it yourself and pick the hairs?

I wonder what Apple would charge to clean your hardware for you... I've got some dust in my iMac G4 vent that could use cleaning, too, just as your ACD could use a little cat hair removal.

25. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

take it to the store and ask them to clean it for you, or open it up.

Can't hurt ,if they say you have to buy a new one or live with it try opening it up at home but that would be a last choice idea.