Cat names

Discussion in 'Community' started by nw43, Sep 10, 2005.

1. nw43 macrumors regular

After having had our new kitten for a week now it turns out that "Freddie" isn't Freddie at all! :eek:

A visit to the vet has shown her to actually be a female so we need to come up with a new name for her - does anyone have any good suggestions?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Adium.

:D

Our cat's name is Biscuit. We plan on getting another when we move into a bigger place. It's name shall be Gravy.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Awww... cute kitty!

My older sister has had several cats through her life -- she always gives them human-type names. She's had a Brian, a Keith... the latest is Neville.

4. iGary Guest

iGary

My friend has a cat named Steve. :)

5. iGav macrumors G3

that miss... is animal cruelty. :eek: :p

nw43, your cat looks like a Matilda. ;)

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What's wrong with all of those 1950's, Enid Blyton, solid salt-of-the-earth type names? :D

There just aren't enough Berts in the world.

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i tend to wait a couple of weeks and name animals when i know their personality a bit. Our two cats are Psycho and Shiny. Psycho's sister Schizo died when she was a kitten (that wasn't a good day, obviously) and Shiny has moved in to give him some socialization. His name wasn't because of his coat, rather his raccoon-like affinity for stealing shiny objects and hiding them.

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Well, my relatives have a cat named "Freddy" who's a girl...in all honesty. There's a big mystery as to who named her Freddy, but, yours wouldn't be the first female Freddy out there. (You could always just say it was an abbreviation for Fredericka!)

May cat's name is Pluto.

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

10. Josh2022 macrumors member

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

IMO, cats should be named for personality traits whenever possible.

Our current two cats were littermates we rescued from the local humane society ten years ago. We decided within days that they were a couple of comedians, so the names George and Gracie were tried out, and they stuck. We've had lots of other "pet" names for our cats over the years, but now that George tips the scales at 20 pounds, he's often called "Catzilla." (We also often call his only slightly more svelte sister "Wideload.")

The cats don't seem to mind what we call them. Once I mentioned to a friend that unlike dogs, cats don't know their names. He said I was wrong -- cats do know their names, but we don't. And the cats aren't telling.

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Very cute kitten nw43. Nice picture. Cream Puff sounds nice. Most of our dogs have been named after people that we admire, like Lucy for Lucille Ball.

13. mrdeep macrumors member

I always wanted to name cats after newspapers, "Times", "Journal", "Post", "Herald", "Tribune", "Register", "Courant", etc.

"Times" is probably the best one, though.

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

my two cats are Dazi (dont know why) and Lucifer because he gets into all sorts of trouble.....

15. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Danger?

That's what mine is...

or name her Fredina. That works.

but I love iGary's suggestion of Adium. Too cute!

More fitting for a pet duck, though...

16. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

"Unfreddy" would seem to work, though I've never before seen a cat so fit for the name "Killer" (and my fiancee is a vet!).

17. mac-er macrumors 65816

18. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

i think Freddie is cute, nothing wrong with that name, girl or not.

i knew someone who had two cats, brother and sister, and despite being one of the most intelligent people i knew, he chose to name them:
    "girl cat" and "boy cat" :D go figure. pretty funny though.

19. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

im thinking about getting a new cat when i move into my new appt so my dog will have a little buddy...I'm gonna name him or her "Remingtion"
    BTW...does anyone think declawing is cruel? cause i dont but i am gettin **** from people about it...I think ruining a $800 couch is cruell....

20. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

21. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you could name it C-A-T. as in the letters.... yeah im a geek i know

22. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Yes, it's cruel. Those claws aren't there just for show.

Provide a scratching post of some sort and rub orange and lemon peel lightly into the furniture -- cats can't stand citrus smells (even residual ones that you can't smell) and will avoid your precious sofa at all costs.

23. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Yeah, do this, but instead of rubbing peels directly on the couch, to prevent any stains, sub citrus peels on a very lightly damped cleaning towel first, then on your furniture.

24. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I and other MR members agree w/BV... wrxguy, in a thread about cats (specifically) read from page 5 here.