Cat Shoots Owner

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by craigdawg, Mar 10, 2005.

1. craigdawg macrumors 6502

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

the cat could have been playing with the gun and knocked the safety off, who knows (doubtful, though).

a little lower or if he died this would be another entry in the Darwin Awards.

D

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Would a safety really be *that* easy to knock off? (I have no idea, never actually held a real gun, no desire to either). If so, that in itself is bloody stupid :eek:

5. PixelFactory macrumors regular

No, the safety would be pretty hard for a cat to turn off. I think most safeties just prevent the trigger from being pulled or disengage it. What I find really stupid is that he must have had one in the chamber and cocked while it was sitting on the counter.

6. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

Not all semiautomatics have trigger safeties, per se. Glocks and Sigs come to mind as ones that do not. Instead, they have interlock mechanisms that prevent the firing pin from contacting the round in the chamber unless the trigger is in the rearward position. This interlock prevents the gun from discharging even if one held the grip and pounded in a nail using the rear of the gun.

For demonstration purposes, Glock routinely drops loaded weapons from various heights (including from a helocopter) onto hard pavement.

I'm inclined to think that this guy either had a cheap, POS handgun, or he's fabricated the story to cover up the fact that he did something stupid and shot himself. I can't imagine any _quality_ handgun discharging from a fall.

7. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i second that...

and why does he need a gun for cooking anyways ;)

8. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Well, eating cats isn't all that uncommon in some countries. :D

9. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

10. apple2991 macrumors 6502

I wish I didn't immediately think of people I know when I read this.

Maybe it's time for some new friends...

11. fanbrain macrumors 6502

fanbrain

Probably wanted to add a little "BANG" to his dish.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I KILL myself!

12. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Just before the man was shot, the cat was reported to say, "I told you I... want... CAT NIP!!" :D

On a more serious note; I've observed (from past professional experience) that many people in the USofA who practice the right to bear arms have a far too casual attitude about firearms. All wepons of any type need to be stored and handled carefully... a message that seems to be lost here. :(

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You needed that ;)

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, either a cheap POS or there's more to this story than the guy's admitting. Makes you wonder who else might come across this guy's guns though. It doesn't sound like he's terribly careful with how he handles them. Of course we can hope that this episode will change his mind

And if you're that worried about having your gun ready, just buy a double-action for pete's sake.

15. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

yeah i agree with the others, it either had to be a fisher-price My First Handgun or the guy is lying his ass off... General rule of thumb, whenever someone tells you they dropped a (modern) gun and it went off, it usually means they shot themselves or were involved in a 7/11 robbery or something.

I really do still support gun rights, but gun owners need to give me _something_ to work with, and every time i hear a case like this, i think "he just shouldn't have had one". Not to get all political.

And FYI, one needs a gun while cooking because what else are you going to use to open those extra-tough plastic shrinkwraps?

16. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie

Ooohhhh ok. Thanks for clearing that up. I was really confused as to why he would need a gun sitting on the counter while he was cooking. I suppose if he was cooking live lobster it could come in handy as well...

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Now you're reminding me of Homer Simpson with his handgun... using it to get Lisa's basketball down from the roof. :p

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Police are now searching for an armed and dangerous fel-in(e).

19. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

to protect himself from the cat.

20. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm just happy to hear that he's OK. Now he has learned a lesson the hard way.

21. emw macrumors G4

emw

Everybody knows you can't trust a cat with a loaded gun...

Reminds me of this thread.

22. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Well, the cat still has 8 lives left. Reminds me of the thread where a dog shot his owner through the groin.

23. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

That reminds me of the Old West saloon where the dog steps through the swinging door and limps, with a bandage on his foot, up to the bar, while the fascinated and somewhat confused patrons look on.

The dog orders a shot of whiskey and drinks it down in one gulp. He slams the shot glass to the bar, turns to the patrons of the saloon, holds up his bandaged foot and says:

"Listen here. I'm looking for the man that shot my paw..."

24. aplasticspork macrumors regular

and the average iq of the united states.....drops another point :rolleyes: . honestly...
    --andrzej