Cat Stevens Held, Will Be Deported

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by OutThere, Sep 22, 2004.

1. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

"A government official said Islam (formerly Stevens) was on the watch list because of 'known associations and financial support to organizations believed to be aiding terrorism.'"

:eek:

I had no idea Cat Stevens had converted and changed his name (apparently in the 70's!), let alone was associated with aiding terrorism!

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

mm, i don't think he's a terrorist. a *****, but back in the 60s-70s you could *be* a *****. But not a terrorist.

Wouldn't it just be easier for the USA to keep a list of people that *are* allowed in? Because the old list, the one on the statue of liberty, is a bit outdated...

paul

3. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

It was in the last 10 years he changed the religion and name...

Ohh baby baby it's a wild world! :p :p

Bt if you wanna leave, take good care :rolleyes:

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

If he represents any threat of terrorism to North America, then he should be deported. We are in a war and must protect ourselves. It just shows that our FBI is doing their job of protecting America. We can't wait for the act, prevention is the key.

5. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    But surely if he wanted to commit acts of terrorism againt the United States, he doesn't have to be in the country to do it. So just kicking him out isn't preventing the problem, it's just putting it a bit further away.

6. belair macrumors 6502

belair

it's a mad world

If we are talking about national security. There is this other guy that america should kick out. His name starts with a W… ;)

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Cat Stevens is a borderline case. He definitely converted to islam more than ten years ago.

I can remember the big stir he caused when he agreed with the fatwah pronounced against Salman Rushdie, author of Satanic Verses -- basically agreeing that an author should be put to death because of something he wrote. The fatwah forced Rushdie into an underground exile for many years.

He might not be a terrorist, but Stevens/Islam is not just a harmless peaceknick.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

You want to kick out Webster? :rolleyes:

9. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Wilson, the next-door neighbor on Home Improvement? What's he do?

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

You should not revert to a political comment, that is what the political thread is for. Our very lives are affected by terrorism.

11. afonso macrumors member

please, this is ridiculous... first of all he's not linked with any terrorist organizations... second of all even if he converted to Islam it doesn't mean he's dangerous...

I can't honestly believe how politics in this country are being run at the moment... it's insane...

Yeah, they should deport mr. b instead...

12. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Mine isn't... except for counterterrorism measures. But that's fine, I also wear mad-elephant repellant every day, and I have yet to see a mad elephant.

Almost all Islamic charities have been blacklisted by the US-- organizations that provide scholarships, for example, or humanitarian aid are all classified as "terrorist funding organizations". The CIA claims that there's a vast financial network that it's all a part of, funneling straight back to bin ladin. Don't let the lack of evidence bother you, I'm sure they're telling the truth rather than being reactionary...

Anyway, Cat merely donated money to these types of charities. Which, thanks to our mad-elephant repellant ...err, sorry, our counterterrorism measures, is all instantly government knowledge. So, he's not allowed in the country anymore. It makes sense. In a racist, anti-Muslim sort of way... But yeah, I agree with you, we're all safer because the guy who wrote "peace train" is in exile.

paul

13. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

what do u have against wordmunger?

14. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

16. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

I saw Cat Stevens interviewed in a recent interview. He was the warmest, most gentle rock star i have ever seen. He seemed very comitted to Islam, but this shouldn't mean much. The disturbing thing about him though, is that he agreed that Salmun Rushdie should be killed. It is strange, as wacthing him, i really couldn't believe someone so nice and warm would advocate killing. He must have changed his attitudes towrads Rushdie, now. He released an album, an A - Z of Islam, and that was lovely. Poor guy - i guess it';s him an Kennedy - those damn terrorists! :p

17. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

As usual, it would be nice to have some more info about this. The Fatwah against Rushdie was very disturbing and CS' support of it bothered me a great deal. Just because someone wants to speak out against their religion doesn't mean that they should be murdered, at least not in this day and age.

I'm sure that CS would be a wonderful catch for the islamic extremists and if he's guilty then he should be arrested, if not then this is just a high profile case to make homeland security look good and converts to islam more afraid of their conversion.

Shouldn't they be arresting Mel Gibson for inciting violence against jews?

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Well Mel Gibson didn't donate money to a terrorist organization so I think its a little different.

19. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Well yeah, he did talk about this one years later, about how he was a recent religious convert and a little too eager at the time to take the statements of religious leaders at face value.

Remember too that Islam is far from the only religion to endorse killing under certain circumstances. One of the most visible examples would the RC church's just war doctrine, and therewill be RC church members who will take the pope's word at face value on a given incident and others who will question it. And I'm sure that in the same way, someone who has "found religion" in that church will be more likely than others to agree if the pope says a given series of mass killings is justified.

That's not to pick on Rome in particular, you'll find similar ideas in many religions; it just happens to be a well known example.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Well most religions have gotten past the bitterness and violence, a select few that shall remain nameless still think that killing and violence is the only way. That is why we have a thing called separation of church and state to avoid such problems like these.

21. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Darn it, you beat me to it.

22. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

this is the biggest crock

the states have sunk to an all time low... wow

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I disagree, why should he be giving money to a group like that in the first place, I say good riddance.

24. m2uk macrumors regular

But why...

..when many Americans get het up about "terrorist fund raising" do they manage to forget the acts of not an insignificant number of their own countrymen, providing funding to foreign terror organisations who were undertaking "a war" against an alleged "special partner".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/1562217.stm

Don't want to make this political, but just add a little perspective. America has to realise that it is a newcomer to the terrorist scene (as a victim), catapulted in through the events of September 11 whereas many countries have had the drip, drip, drip of terrorism claiming many victims.

I might be wrong here, but I seem to recall "foreigners" were blamed for some of the other "terror attacks" on the U.S. previously, i.e. Oklahoma City, when in fact, the real "terrorist" was, err, a Good Ol' American Boy.

I know America (as a country through its administration) has a somewhat sullied reputation overseas currently and many people wrongly assume that all American citizens are, in fact, the same as the "public persona" of America, the country, but I am seeing a gradual sea change in attitude from Americans that I KNOW who have travelled, research their thoughts through means other than Foxnews.com (i.e . are not just "one party" repeat clones) and have travelled.

For the avoidance of doubt, again, I am not trying to stir up a political fight or point scoring, just providing additional colo(u)r.BBC News