Cathy getting married?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Doctor Q, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Rumor has it that Cathy, the star of the comic strip by Cathy Guisewite, will receive a marriage proposal on Valentine's Day from her sometimes boyfriend Irving.

Could it be? If so, will she accept? Forget MacRumors, hello CathyRumors!

link

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

"Cathy" isn't carried by the Boston Globe.
    This is Valentine's Day, so I hope that she will find happiness.

3. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The rumor was true. After 27 years of fruitless dating, Cathy has accepted a marriage proposal. Awwwwww, isn't that cute?

[​IMG]

You can always see recent Cathy strips at this ucomics.com page.

The comic strip "Blondie" had a seismic shift of its own in recent years, since Blondie started her own business after being "only a housewife" for decades before. Congratulations to Cathy the character and to Cathy the cartoonist for this big change.

I notice something inadvertently funny about seeing the page online today. Click on the link above to see what I mean. The page has previous date and next date links at the top right of the strip. When you look at the current day's strip, in this case the marriage proposal on Valentine's Day, there is no later strip so you see no next date instead. But there's another meaning: Cathy has been on countless "previous dates" over the years but with her upcoming marriage she has "no next date" to worry about!

Attached Files:

4. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Reminder to all: Today is not only Valentine's Day. It is also National Donor Day, a day when everyone is encouraged to fill out a organ and tissue donation card (pdf file), to let your family know your wishes about organ donation, to join the National Marrow Donor Program registry, and to donate blood and platelets. I did all four. You can too!

More information can be found here.

Don't be afraid to read about these options. Rather than being a morbid subject, learning about the chances to save lives can be heartwarming.

5. vniow macrumors G4

Is that Ivring?

I haven't read the newspapers for months, arrgh..

6. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Sadly it seems that Americans are not really aware of organ donation unless they are personally affected. It is a very hard decision for the family to make. You are correct Doctor Q, it makes it much easier if a person has a donor card and make sure that their family are aware of their desire to donate.

8. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Speaking of comic strips, did anyone see this Sunday's Blondie, in which Dagwood's office computer is clearly either a Power Mac G4 or a B/W G3?

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Sadly we don't get "Blondie" in the Boston Globe. Do you happen to have a link to it online?

10. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

I don't think it's online yet. But on the edge of one frame you could see the outline of his computer -- it had the curves, the handles, the button or speaker depending on what computer it was, and maybe the drives. Clearly a Power Mac.

11. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I already looked, and didn't find Blondie online. So I scanned the comic in question. Here is the computer Blondie's husband, Dagwood Bumstead, is using in yesterday's strip:

Attached Files:

12. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Thank you for taking the time Doctor Q. I was trying to imagine that it was my own G4 Graphite. It sort of ahs a blue appearance. That was my projecting my wishes.

14. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Let's steer this thread into a new direction, while we wait for Cathy to get married. What comic strips does/do the major newspaper(s) in your city run on Sundays?

Los Angeles Times:

Baby Blues
    Ballard Street
    Blondie
    The Boondocks
    Cathy
    Classic Peanuts
    La Cucaracha
    Dilbert
    Doonesbury
    Drabble
    For Better or For Worse
    FoxTrot
    Frazz
    Garfield
    Get Fuzzy
    Heathcliff
    Herman
    In the Bleachers
    Jump Start
    Marmaduke
    Momma
    Mutts
    9 Chickweed Lane
    Non Sequitur
    Opus
    Rex Morgan M.D.
    Wizard of Id
    Zits

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Boston Globe

Adam @ Home
    Arlo & Janis
    Ask Shagg
    The Boondocks
    Curtis
    Dilbert
    Doonesbury
    The Family Circus
    For Better or For Worse
    FoxTrot
    Garfield
    Get Fuzz
    Jump Start
    Monty
    Mother Goose Grimm
    Non Sequitur
    Opus
    Rose Is Rose
    Stone Soup
    Zippy
    Zits

16. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Another old thread pops out of the dustbin!

All fans of the daily Cathy comic strip should prepare to celebrate soon. Cathy and Irving will be getting married on Valentine's day, a year after they got engaged (the reason for this thread last year).

Of course, these are just characters in a comic strip, not real people, but weddings are happy occasions whether they are real or not, so I'll go along with the party.

Happy soon-to-be-Valentines Day to all of you too!

17. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

You and your memory! hahaha

18. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

My memory wasn't THAT good. I searched for the word "wedding" in the title of a Community Discussion thread, not remembering it was in Current Events and used the word "married" instead. :rolleyes:

19. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

The reason why i said that was like 2 weeks ago - you brought up the MacRumors Couple. (i forgot there names) you did that 2 years in a row...

kyle

20. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Ah, yes, ibookin' and übergeek. And I've been known to post to threads like this or this too, when something related goes by in the news.

21. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  22. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Thank you for the memories Doctor Q. Our member with a good memory. Good luck to Cathy with her up coming nuptials. Is anyone going to send candy or flowers?

23. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sorry to spread misinformation the other day. I turned to my February calendar and discovered that the wedding day in the comic strip will be this coming Saturday, February 5, not the 14th as I thought. Sorry.

Of course, the actual wedding ceremony might take several days worth of strips. We'll see.

24. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I'm shocked that that comic is still running. For some reason I'm not entertained by a character who's a whiny, neurotic woman desperate to get a man.

25. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Maybe that's why the strip is changing. Now Cathy can be a married woman who is neurotic about everything else.

Plenty of comic strips are about ordinary people dealing, with limited success, with everyday frustrations. Many strips stay the same from year to year, adding new characters now and then but leaving the core characters as they are, but some strips let the characters grow over time; I think Gasoline Alley was one of the first strips to have the characters age in realtime.

It seems that unmarried comic strip characters are usually hapless at romance, from Charlie Brown in Peanuts to Norman in Drabble. Once they get married, they usually stay married and put up with the 1000 annoying habits of their spouse. Unless it's a soap opera like Mary Worth!