cats & world domination

Discussion in 'Community' started by etoiles, Dec 3, 2003.

1. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

any chance to post the info without the link....it requires a login.

D

3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I seriously dislike cats, and before any feline lovers chastise me, my family has a cat, so I speak from personal experience.

4. etoiles thread starter macrumors 6502a

etoiles

here is the article:

London - A parasite transmitted by cats can apparently turn women into sex kittens and make men more aggressive.

A new study conducted by universities in Britain, the United States and the Czech Republic shows that the toxoplasma parasite can bring about changes in people's personalities and is transmitted in Britain by the population's nine million cats.

The study shows that about half of Britain's population has the parasite present in the brain.

The Sunday Times reports that people who are infected, slowly undergo serious personality changes - men tend to be more aggressive, sloppy, anti-social and less handsome.

Women, on the other hand, display the sex kitten attitude and can be less dependable, more fun-loving, desirable and promiscuous.

Previous research has shown that people who have the toxoplasma parasite are at bigger risk of developing schizophrenia or manic depression.

Professor Jaroslav Flegr of the Charles University in Prague undertook a study about subtle changes in people's personalities.

He compiled profiles of 300 volunteers and found that woman who are contaminated with the toxoplasma parasite are more attractive and spend more money on clothes, compared to men who display the alley cat effect.

The infected men are not as neat as other men and they are undesirable loners who get involved in fights more easily. They also tend to be jealous and suspicious.

Flegr found in his study that people with the toxoplasma parasite react more slowly and they can easily be involved in car accidents.

Cats are the main cause of the infection. The toxoplasma parasite moves in a natural circle between rats and cats.

People contract the parasite when they are in contact with cats.

Research undertaken by scientists at Cambridge University in England shows that when the parasite penetrate a rat's brain, it re-programes the rat to be less fearful of cats.

The parasite apparently destroys people's natural inhibitions.

5. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

So a parasite in cats is making people horny?

Interesting...

I don't have a cat, but im horny enough as is. :p

scem0

6. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

here's another version of the article. the cat in this article looks just like my roommate's cat, which makes me nervous.

7. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Ack.... It's not April first yet.

Toxoplasma is a parasitic protozoan present in the feline lower GI tract. This parasite will infect virtually any mammal and most often proves both asymptomatic and effectively harmless in an otherwise healthy host.

Toxoplasmosis only represents a threat to public health in concerns to pregnant women and those with compromised immune systems.

http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~parasite/toxoplasma.html

Effectively: If you've changed a litter box or once "sampled" cat poop when you were little, you likely have a small colony of these little buggers living in your tissues right now.

Now that I think about it, It's nearly impossible to go through life without contracting an incredible variety of non- health-threatening parasites.

8. etoiles thread starter macrumors 6502a

etoiles

I don't know, the fact that I can't really avoid it doesn't make me feel much better about it. Oh well, one more excuse for my odd behaviour...it is not me, it is the toxoplasma in my brain :D

Here is another fine excerp from the BBC news website

___
    One third of Britons carry the toxoplasma parasite in their brain.

Its natural home is the cat and it's spread in cats' faeces. It can be picked up by any mammal, from rats to cattle. The main way we get it is by eating undercooked meat (which is why 80% of the French are estimated to have it, with their love of rare meat).

Once we have it we have it for life, there's no way we can get rid of it.

Research shows it somehow manipulates rats' behaviour - it makes rats attracted to cats - their natural predator, so they're more likely to be eaten by a cat and the parasite can complete its life cycle.

For years scientists thought it had no effect on our behaviour, but now the parasite's changing their minds. Recent research suggests that people with toxyplasma have slower reaction times than those without and are also more than twice as likely to be involved in a traffic accident than those who aren't carrying the parasite.
    ___

9. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

cats have been around a lot longer than humans, and like most species that have been around longer than humans, will be here long after we are gone

besides their great intelligence, cats are incredibly tough, fast, and flexible

10. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

lmao...umm atleast u'll never get prostate cancer...

lets not go there.

I never liked cats-- freaking diabligatos

11. alxths macrumors 6502

So, this of course means that dogs have in fact been right all this time... tomorrow me and my wittle newwie are going cat hunting to save mankind.. wish us luck!

12. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

dogs will even outlast cats on this planet since they know how to properly beg and look for handouts

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Methinks this may be done by the same scientists who studied the genetics of the Green Cat :rolleyes:

14. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

wow, that's the most mention of cat incest i've ever seen on one webpage.

pnw

15. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

By your logic cats will outlast dogs, since if humans are not around to give out handouts and give stuff to the begging dogs then all the dogs will die because their supply of begged and handouted food will dry up. (Look I made a new word)