Causes of "Wrapper" damage to HD?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by xsedrinam, Aug 12, 2005.

1. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Other than sudden power removal or third party compatibility issues, can anyone shed more light on causes for "wrapper" damage? I'm running DiskWarrior repair right now on an iBook G3...slow as molasses, after it hung while user was going through AOL dialup to look at their hotmail. No comment necessary on that, unless you bring up 50¢ and G-Unit.
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=31056
    X

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Well, the first thing that you have to understand is that not all HFS+ volumes use wrappers. Those that do use the wrapper to encapsulate the HFS+ partition on an HFS volume. Most such volumes date back to the days of MacOS 8.1.

3. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Right. That's OS 8.1 and up. The Extended or + partition is the Hybrid, right? That's why I don't understand the error and repair message from DW. S.M.A.R.T tested as verified booted from DW. The OS on the box is Jaguar 10.2.6. So I don't get where "damaged wrapper" fits in? FWIW, DiskWarrior has been at stage 5 for about 3 hours. The progress bar is slowly moving, so I'm letting it run. Would it be bogged down on the text part (i.e. "Where_have_all_my_files_gone?") which is, as I understand, either part of or the essence of the wrapper?
    X