Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nezza

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2005
Guernsey
Well despite taking as much care of it as humanly possible, my Nano succumb to the curse of the cracked screen. Wasn't even a scratch on it, just took it out of my breast pocket (no pressure, unlike with jeans ) and argghh.

Apple are going to replace it (after a 37 minute phone call), but still very annoying.

Attachments

• DSC_0004_1.jpg
    DSC_0004_1.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC_0005_1.jpg
    DSC_0005_1.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 151

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Bad luck with the old one - good luck with the new.

I have sat on mine - dropped it and about a month ago dropped it down the toilet (after I had used it and before flushing). Washed it through several time with distilled water and dried it out in a warm place. Its still happy.

Obviously mine will die the day after the guarantee runs out.

Dark

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2005
New Jersey
Thats exactly why I diddnt get a Nano...Im still using my 4th gen, non color I-Pod. Its beat up, but it still works great. Im 15, I bring my iPod everywhere, and to have something all new and shiny just doesnt mix good with me.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
A lady at the gym on an elliptical machine next to mine the other day had a black nano; she dropped it and picked it up and it still worked and was unharmed (as far as I could tell). So it seems like some of them are acceptably tough; anyway.

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
rosalindavenue said:
A lady at the gym on an elliptical machine next to mine the other day had a black nano; she dropped it and picked it up and it still worked and was unharmed (as far as I could tell). So it seems like some of them are acceptably tough; anyway.

Most of them are. Ars Technica ran one over with a car and it still worked, accept the LCD snapped and wet crazy.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
i dropped my nano in a puddle of water. withdrew it immediately and shook most of the water off. but the hold button was acting funny, it didn't actually HOLD properly. so i went to my bio lab, and put it in the autoclave (sterilizing oven at 85C) for five minutes. it came out burning hot, and dry. this was two months ago. it's still happy, for now. :)

SolidSnake

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2005
prob your fault.. i'm sorry but it does look like you f'd it up.. if you really didn't do it, don't bash me.. i don't know how that could just happen ya know?

Nezza

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2005
Guernsey
SolidSnake said:
prob your fault.. i'm sorry but it does look like you f'd it up.. if you really didn't do it, don't bash me.. i don't know how that could just happen ya know?

No bashing, but I'd love to know what happened to it a well. I've taken care of that thing like a baby. It wasn't dropped, slammed, jarred or bumped. It didn't even have any marks at all on it. Never kept in a trouser pocket, only in a shirt or the inside of my jacket.

The only explanation I can even think of is that it was caused by walking home in the cold and then coming into a warm house. But even I think that is very unlikely.

I've managed to take an iBook around the world and not get a mark on that, but it appears that I can't take a Nano from work to home!

Stupid thing is that didn't think Apple would replace it so I bought another one the next day. Then I phoned Apple and they said they would replace it!

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
SolidSnake said:

Have been in a cave? :p

This has actually been happening a lot. A manufacturing mishap early on in the production line I do believe. I think I remember hearing Apple is replacing them with a no questions stance. Correct me if I'm wrong.

A friend of mine got one, and I just hope the same doesn't happen to him because it's his first Apple product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.