Caution for mods: Unreal Tournament 2003 v2225.1 update

Discussion in 'Games' started by Santaduck, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

Caution... there is a new mac update for Unreal Tournament 2003 called v2225.1. You can find it at here at macgamefiles.

Although it includes some great things (new efficient openal, and a hue fix for the panther-ATI Radeon bug), it breaks compatibility with .u files compiled PC side... in other words, if you install v2225.1, full conversion mods (such as my precious Frag Ops) will not work! I have not spoken with the mac BTs from Red Orchestra or America's Army yet... although I assume AA compatibility is fine since the author of 2225.1 (icculus) also wrote AA for mac.

The offending file is the 2225.1's brand new ut2003-bin file (the actual game launcher) located in the SYSTEM folder visible when you right-click (or option-click) Unreal Tournament 2003 and select "show package cotnents".

I am trying to talk to the author (Ryan Gordon/Icculus) to see if there is a fix. The culprit seems to be a defunct (1K) texture file called InstagibEffects that remains on the pc and mac v2225.0. It's there in the compile of the .u file, even though our mod (FragOps) does not even use this instagibeffects.

However, the OpenAL audio implememation of v2225.1 is fine. You can download and install it separately at
    http://icculus.org/~icculus/tmp/openal.dylib.bz2

Just unstuff, and copy openal.dylib to your UT2k3 package's SYSTEM folder, replacing the original openal.dylib.

_______

Note that the Panther hue fix is great, and the other optimizations are great. I have not tested joining internet servers runnin on PCs, but from looking at Icculus' previous notes, I would assume it does not break cross-platform multiplayer compatilbility.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thanks for the heads up , its to late for me, put in the patch on 10.2.6 and did notice better framerates and outdoor levels looked a lot better. nothing like getting a few more frames. seems you can notice things just a little better when the action heats up. anyways only played 10 levels didnt notice any problems on my quicksilver 1.33

3. Santaduck thread starter macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

Yeah, your framerates should improve even with just the openAL tweak by the same author that I list in my previous post. I think if you haven't installed v2225.1 yet, and you wish to play mods, you should install the OpenAL tweak, but not v2225.1, and wait for a fix.

note that 2225.1 also includes this openal fix, so you don't need to install it separately if you already upgraded.

____
    on another note, I have heard reports now that RO & AA run fine with this update. AA is not surprising since that is one of Ryan's other projects, but I have to find out why RO works. FO rewrote many of the functions from scratch, so that may be it. I'll keep y'allz posted, esp. as FO will be released in days.
    ____

bottom line: back up the file ut2003-bin (right-click Unreal Tournament 2003, select 'show package contents', then look in the folder SYSTEM), and you'll be safe using the v2225.1 installer.

4. Draft macrumors 6502

Where can I find AA? I tried versiontracker, but they gave a bad link. Also, directly from their page, there is no Mac link. Any help?

I'm going to install the update and tell you all how things work after some testing.

Thanks,
    Draft

5. Draft macrumors 6502

Just tried installing UT2K3 under 10.3. Doesn't work!? It gives me the error:

It is recommended that you install Mac OS X v10.2.6 or later before installing Unreal Tournament 2003.

The installer then quits. Is there a work around for this?

Thanks,

6. Draft macrumors 6502

I figured it out. Direct from MacSoft's website:

Solution: Control-click the "Unreal Tournament 2003 Setup" icon on disc #1, and choose "Show Package Contents." In the window that appears, open the "Contents" folder and then the "MacOS" folder. Double-click the "ut_setup" icon and the installer should run.

Any help with an AA link?

Thanks,

7. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

You can get AA from macgamefiles.com (a super slow connection for direct link...once you connect to macgamefiles.com, switch to the 2nd mirror listed)

Try the second location, it's much faster...

[EDIT: LOL, actually they are both butt slow!! But hey, you CAN get it here :( I see if I can dig up something faster]

8. Santaduck thread starter macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

OK I just got word from bmr kuran that RO is fine with 2225.1, and I assume AA is fine, since that is one of Ryan's other projects.

Ryan emailed me back, and I will soon send him our mod (FragOps) to see what the conflict is, since we don't even use the offending texture (instagibeffects) in the mod. Hopefully we'll work it out soon.

Otherwise, 2225.1 seems fine with other mods so far, then, so disregard the caution, unless you are planning to install the realism mod Frag.Ops which will be released Oct 31 or earlier.

______

Someone in another forum asked about using the updater on the free demo...

well it seems the update is basically a new ut2003-bin launcher, and a new openal.dylib file. The openal.dylib can certainly be used in the demo. Just download it directly from Ryan's (2225.1's author) site at:
    http://icculus.org/~icculus/tmp/openal.dylib.bz2
    Unstuff, and drop openal.dylib into Unreal Tournament 2003's system folder. (right click or option click Unreal Tournament 2003, and select 'show package contents').

I haven't tried using the update's ut2003-bin in the demo. I would guess it doesn't work, or at the least that it wouldn't install, or if it did, then the CD-Key issue would still be a problem on the demo. Someone try it!

____

Re: MGF mirrors:
    if there are mutliple mirrors, they are in a different, random order every time a client clicks on the download link. . . so what is "1st" one time might not be the next time.

edit in response to post below:
    DOH! maybe i'm wrong then. Maybe there's a network-distance calculator that chooses the optimal server? I get random servers, maybe because they're all close N. American servers, which is where I am. I'm not sure.

9. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

Doh, must be weird for me then :/

I get ausmac mirror on the 2nd everytime??

10. Santaduck thread starter macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

Great news! Ryan Gordon, the coder of UT2k3 v2225.1 has just emailed me (Nov 1, was that fast or what?) and says he has identified the problem.

He has sent me a preliminary fix that I will test as soon as I write this post, and I will report back. He also writes:

"The bug was due to some functionality I put in place to try and fix the Nightblade mod."

And you heard it here first: He'll include the fix along with the rest of the v2225.2 patch that he is working on. See his webby at: http://www.icculus.org/ and check out his .plan (finger or archive Icculus).

So Frag.Ops should work for v2225.2 soon!