Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
I recently noticed the graphics issue described here on my new usbC 2016 MBP and I am NOT using fire vault.

Please use discretion before you put your money down on on the latest Apple Macbook. Do what you want actually but the smart move could be to hold off purchasing till there is more known.

Last edited:

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I assume this is software related and will be corrected fairly fast by Apple.. If it's determined to be hardware then Apple has a serious recall on their hands. Either way, I am sure it will get sorted out quickly...

Mine glitches out every so often but it's only at login and nowhere else..

SVTM

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2016
Same here. Talked to Apple and they have no idea what is causing it as of right now but I'm hoping its software.

ssong

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
London, UK
I'm expecting it to be a H/W issue but wouldn't expect a formal admittance or recall from Apple, then again there are 21 days left in 2016 so who knows.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Mine is a base TB 13"

It only glitches out at login and even then, it's not every time..

I'll wait it out as I am not really interested in exchanging it at the moment.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
Same here. Talked to Apple and they have no idea what is causing it as of right now but I'm hoping its software.
What would you expect?

They have to a) Comfort you by saying you are not the only one, and b) cannot admit that it might be an issue happening to all models sooner or later.

I suspect that it is dependent on parts of the driver and external hardware connected.
Keep in mind that PCIe is heavily timing and transaction bound, it might be that the state of the GPU no longer matches up with what happened when on the bus.

When everything was a separate chip responsible (i.e HDMI, Ethernet, USB Ports etc.) the chips were probably designed with much more care talking to the PCIe bus.

Apple just exposed everything on the bus and now we have to cross our fingers that everything is fine.

lauramayer

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2016
I need a new MacBook, but it's to sad to read all bad reviews. I would buy a MacBook Pro with the better graphic card, but that voodoo thingy 460 card should be very buggy :(

TofSanity

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2010
I need a new MacBook, but it's to sad to read all bad reviews. I would buy a MacBook Pro with the better graphic card, but that voodoo thingy 460 card should be very buggy :(

I have the base model 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar and it has no issues.

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
I have no graphics issues at all. The majority of people don't.

I wonder what the common denominators are in the faulty units...

How long have you owned it? I had zero glitches and zero problems for 7 days, then now i have 3 different graphic glitches regularly, and wifi stop working everytime the computer go to sleep. SMC reset or nvram resets does nothing.

Feels like its ****** quality on the inside of these, its a shame since if i wouldnt had any problems i would thought its one of the overall best laptops made so far

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016

Try not to get lost in the hype. Remember that criticism is intensified on here.
How long have you owned it? I had zero glitches and zero problems for 7 days, then now i have 3 different graphic glitches regularly, and wifi stop working everytime the computer go to sleep. SMC reset or nvram resets does nothing.

Feels like its ****** quality on the inside of these, its a shame since if i wouldnt had any problems i would thought its one of the overall best laptops made so far

I have had my MBP for around 2.5 weeks and don't see how or why graphics glitches will start to emerge now.

If other software glitches do start to appear I won't be phased as there will always be updates to fix them. For instance there is a TB/Mail glitch that stops the TB from functioning when composing an e-mail - hardly dramatic.

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
I assume this is software related and will be corrected fairly fast by Apple.. If it's determined to be hardware then Apple has a serious recall on their hands. Either way, I am sure it will get sorted out quickly...

Mine glitches out every so often but it's only at login and nowhere else..

Fairly fast!? Some of us have had ours almost a month.

Kn!ghthawk

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2016
I've had a fair number of issues on this machine (15" MBP 2.9/460/1TB). Two different graphics display issues which have yet to be resolved by any of the Beta's. One I/O issue which has been resolved by a beta release in addition to Touch ID not working whenever it feels like. Senior Advisor I had just talked to questioned why I still even had the machine with these issues and that anyone else from Apple would normally have suggested a return of the unit by now so engineering can inspect it.

When I go into the Apple Store tomorrow to sort out an exchange or return I will also try to reproduce the graphics error I have been having on the store display model. If I can recreate it there on a few of them then I might believe it's possibly a software issue.

Either way unless you need to replace an older computer I would hold off on it. If you do buy one please take the time to open it and play around with it in the store before you officially accept it and walk away. Just my two cents on that one.

Reactions: burgman

runner77

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2016
Berlin

I have no issues at all with the Radeon 460.

You read much, much more about people who have issues than about those who don't. Just because, I don't feel inclined to open a thread and say that mine works. It's much more likely I would do that when something doesn't work.

The chance that you will get a faulty model is very low.

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
I have no issues at all with the Radeon 460.

You read much, much more about people who have issues than about those who don't. Just because, I don't feel inclined to open a thread and say that mine works. It's much more likely I would do that when something doesn't work.

The chance that you will get a faulty model is very low.

Press the siri button so that siri window is open then go to the energy settings tab and press "automatic graphics switching" a couple of times and you see your first glitch, tried it on display models in stores and was on all of the 15 inch

runner77

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2016
Berlin
Press the siri button so that siri window is open then go to the energy settings tab and press "automatic graphics switching" a couple of times and you see your first glitch, tried it on display models in stores and was on all of the 15 inch

What issues? No issues here:

15" Macbook Pro, 2.9 Ghz, Radeon Pro 460, 512 GB

source.gif

I was running many apps at the same time, including photo and video editing. Does it require a certain setup to cause the error?

Last edited:
Reactions: xmonkey

markol

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
What issues? No issues here:

15" Macbook Pro, 2.9 Ghz, Radeon Pro 460, 512 GB

source.gif

I was running many apps at the same time, including photo and video editing. Does it require a certain setup to cause the error?

Ugh I just tried this on my 15" tMBP and the Siri screen glitched and turned yellow..... does that mean there's a hardware issue.........?

TofSanity

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2010
I have had this 15" MacBook Pro w/TB since Dec 3rd. I haven't had any trouble with it until now. Today was the first time I have shut the MacBook Pro and restarted... login screen scrambled at the bottom...

ALSO, has anyone else noticed their trackpad bend in the center near the space bar? It only happens when I place a little pressure on the trackpad.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
My 15" displays no glitch doing that.
[doublepost=1481597638][/doublepost]
ALSO, has anyone else noticed their trackpad bend in the center near the space bar? It only happens when I place a little pressure on the trackpad.
Yes, my trackpad does that as well. Do they all?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.