Cave Story, Help!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dabisu, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Dabisu macrumors member

I recently downloaded Cave Story and I love it however, I don't think it's Universal yet and it keeps crashing periodically on me. On the error report it said using Rosetta, so I think it's still PPC.

I've looked around and I don't see any talk of crashing or something, but I really want to play this game more but it crashes so often on me.

If anyone has any info or help with the crashing, please share it.

Thanks!

P.S. If you haven't tried it, here is a link: http://www.gameflaws.com/cavestory/

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

To me this beats pretty much any commercial game I've played. But enough of that. Cave Story didn't work when I had dual monitors hooked up. After the first boot up it would then work with dual monitors. though the crash report said NOTHING of relevance it was just experimentation that got it working.

If you're a single monitor user, then I don't know :eek:

3. Dabisu thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I'm single monitor, but it's probably just not compatible with intel Macs yet. I'll try restarting anyways though.

4. Dabisu thread starter macrumors member

I read on another forum that it is a sound issue, and I think that's correct because it only happens at points where a new song is required like when obtaining a new item or changing levels.

Does anyone know a fix for this?

:(

5. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I didn't realize this game was out for the Mac! Cool!

Unfortunately I can't get the English patch to work. And the "deluxe" download downloads an EXE.

Any ideas?

6. Dabisu thread starter macrumors member

I'm a bit new to the Mac world, so I don't know much about any version differences but here is what I did and it worked perfect. But regardless, mine still crashes =(

Ok...

Download the Mac version here, if you haven't done so already ... http://www.nakiwo.com/files/doukutsu0_0_6.dmg

Then download the patch here ... http://www.gameflaws.com/cavestory/DoukutsuEnglishPatchMac.tar.gz

Open the DMG to the game, not the patch, and drag the Doukutsu file into the Applications folder

Next, extract the tar.gz file, I used Stuffit Expander, and open the patcher and click the button that says "select original" and just browse to the doukutsu app in the applications folder and there ya go!

Now, because I'm so desperate to play this game without any crashes, if ANYONE knows anything about preventing the crashes that occur on Intel Macs, please let me know!

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

8. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Cool! Can't wait to try when I get home.

Now if only Satan Sam had a version for the Mac...

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

:p

10. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Anyone used SCUMM that runs the old Lucas Arts games?