CAVEAT EMPTOR: Palm(One) Tungsten C

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by JeffTL, Mar 1, 2005.

1. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Dec 18, 2003
    Yesterday (Tuesday), my second Palm Tungsten C suffered a spontaneous cracking of the screen, much in the same way the one I had before did. The first I had replaced on an extended warranty; this is the last time I am doing business with Palm. I only had this one since August, having had the prior one September 03 - July 04.

I have never dropped the Palm, always have taken great care with it. I no longer have an extended warranty and Palm's warranty does not cover the screen, so I don't feel like hassling with the notoriously-awful Palm phonebank to at best get another of the same defective model, apt to die in another seven or eight months. I've not been the only person with the problem.

I've given my dock cradle to a family member who still has a working Tungsten C, and put mine in the old electronics drawer. I'll be using my iPod a lot more from here on out, considering as it works.
  2. 5300cs macrumors 68000

Nov 24, 2002
    I have a Tungsten C, too. Whenever I try to connect to my Airport basestation, it freezes requiring a restart. When I use the built-in web browser, if I use the keyboard to type in a URL, it freezes requiring a restart. Other than that, I've had no problems with mine. I doubt I'll buy another Palm in the future though.
  3. JeffTL thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dec 18, 2003
    I've adjusted to being Palmless fairly well. 3G iPod + iTalk (and don't forget a black iSkin) is a far more efficient solution, really. Alarm isn't as noticable but I have my calendar and address book.
  4. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Jun 28, 2002
    North Central Colorado
    I get that fatal exception error requiring a restart in the web browser pretty often too, although it's not completely reproducable. I asked Palm about it a while back, and they could offer no explanation, suggesting I just do a software reinstall.

While the functionality is great, there are better options IMHO. I have a feeling my tC will be on eBay before too long.
  5. JeffTL thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dec 18, 2003
    I think if you erase the web cache through a third party file browser you can fix the web browser; If you use TuSSH or pssh (I think it's called), you can also avoid the issue. Just connect to your Mac over SSH if you turn on Remote Login under Sharing in the prefs, and use a text-based web browser like lynx or something.

Or eBay the T|C and avoid the spontaneous screen fracture.