CBC loses Olympics

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by rickvanr, Feb 7, 2005.

1. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

For the first time since I can remember, CBC will not own rights to the 2010 and 2012 Olympics. CTV-Rogers won the bid, and plans to have 24 hour coverage over many different networks. I personally don't think the olympics will be as fun to watch without CBC announcers, especially in Hockey.

(CP) - It will cost $153 million US for the Olympic Games to change channels in Canada. A consortium of Bell Globemedia and Rogers Communications agreed Monday to pay a record amount for the Canadian television rights for the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics. Included in the deal is a promise for unparalleled television coverage of the Games plus a pledge of financial support for Canadian athletes. To wrestle the Olympics away from the CBC, Globemedia and Rogers teamed up to pay $90 million US for the Vancouver Games and another $63 million US for the 2012 Summer Olympics.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Olympics/2010Vancouver/2005/02/07/923355-cp.html

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Be sure to buy up some properties in Vancouver and the low lying areas. The property value is set to skyrocket come 2010.

I'm in the process of financing 3 apartment complexes in North Vancouver, which I hope to sell in 2009.

3. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

That is bad news

CBC can always go back to stars wars night in canada...

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Man, Rogers is just throwing money around right now. First it's with the Jays and their $210M USD pledge, then it's their complete renovation of the "Skydome" and their new Jumbotron and 6 other screens. And that's not to mention their actual purchase of the Skydome (although it was cheap) and now the purchase of the Olympics coverage.

5. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

noooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

it just wont be the same without those recognizable cbc voices.

and hockey without cbc? im devastated. Don Cherry, Steve armitage, kelly Hrudey, Ron maclean, Scott oak, all gone?!?! i caant believe this! :mad:

6. ----Bowie---- macrumors regular

This is not good. CBC does such a good job. I always feel like i'm watching history in the making on CBC. I find other networks don't give you that "feel" when watching major events. It sounds silly, but its true.

:(

7. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Not the first time...

CTV had the rights to the Calgary and Lillehammer Winter Olympics too. I worked for a CTV station at the time but didn't get to go. Olympics in a North American time zone always get much higher ratings than with "foreign" hosts.

8. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

for a second I thought (and hoped) that NBC had lost the US olympics rights and was dreaming of actually to be able to see some sports instead of the crap they push, maybe even live (now i'm asking too much, I know).

I don't know how CBC was, but if they extend the coverage, that can only be good.

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It seems that they just weren't willing to pay the required money. A business decision on the return of investment.

10. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

That just plan sucks for me.

I have watched the Olympics on CBC here in Washington in the past and always liked it better than any NBC, CBC, ABC coverage. And if I remember correctly CTV is not available in Everett, just north in Bellingham (the two places I live).

Just one question, where do all the millions of those dollars go? Who gets it? I know it is not anyone who would really benefit from that much money. I won't go to help pay for the construction of roads, buildings, and other more important projects.

Swifter, higher, stronger it seems is not just limited to the Olympic competitions anymore. We have to spend huge amounts of money. More money spent means better winning athletes inspiring people to spend more money.

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

That's a disappointment - I really enjoy(ed) their broadcasts, especially this summer. It was nice to turn the TV on and have a familiar setup without all the glitz and glam that other stations like to put in. They also seem to follow some of the more obscure events that get shoved aside in favor of (in the summer) swimming, diving, and gymnastics (ug). This past summer they had some really good coverage of the crew competitions which were fun to watch. (Despatie is a pretty awesome diver though, and his name soon became common around my house. :D) In any case, it's too bad that CBC lost the olympics, but maybe they'll get the ones in the far distant future.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I liked CBC's olympics coverage back when I was in the D too...sad...*cries a little*. Now I'm nowhere near Canada, alas, but....

Then again, I barely watch any of the olympics, so I guess my opinion is of limited value on the topic. ;)