CBC online report - How long it takes for a new XP PC to be infected on the internet

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by superfunkomatic, Apr 15, 2005.

1. superfunkomatic macrumors regular

2. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

That guy is really indecisive with his mouse.

3. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

4. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

I might like to add that is PRE SP1 heck that is the oringal release disk of XP with ZERO updates. All the MS disk sold after SP1 are not going to be effected so I consider that a invaild and worthless test.

5. superfunkomatic thread starter macrumors regular

point noted, but does the average parent installing things, or pulling the computer out of the box know that? probably not. and some machines still come with that configuration - we have enterprise implementations that came that way.

6. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Heh, I went to download Active Ports for myself, and 'lo and behold, I see new (incoming) connections made by "ad.aol.com.(etc etc)".

I'm running a VERY old version of AIM (5.136.xxx.xxx) and even this one, apparently, contains a ******** of ads (not necessarily spyware). This makes me very worried about people like my parents/aunts/cousins who are basically total dunces when it comes to using computers.

Some are on SP1, but I can't be too sure of that tho.

7. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

That is Awesome!

I know my Virus/Internet Security protection was around $3000 - but worth EVERY penny! :p

8. Uma888 macrumors 6502

i can vouch for this video, i had the same problem lat month when i formatted my pc, i simple coudlnt get online, i had to install linux, download a firewall and install it in windows. that was the only way i could get back online and get all the updates.

cant wait to switch :D

9. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

This is reason I only install the SP2 (or at least SP1) Integrated versions of XP. Installing vanilla XP on a PC these days is like if you had a problem with 10.3, and so you put fresh install of 10.0 on there.

10. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Not necessarily invalid. There are still plenty of PCs out there older than 2 years (SP1 was released Sept 9th 2002. It would have taken several months for all new PCs after SP1's release to come with it) and there must be many, many unpatched and insecure PCs if zombie networks are so widespread.

My own Dell's original XP disc is pre-SP1. Anyone reinstalling XP from such a CD-ROM is at risk if they're not behind a router.

11. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

if people are going to use that as a vaild reasoning to say windows suck because of this. Then agurment like Mac suck base on they use of school lab computer that run OS 9.x or 8.x when they are compared with XP.

This is the kind fo crap I complain about ignorant mac users they thow out stuff like this that is really pretty invalid stuff because right now you can not buy a non SP1 disk all the back up disk sold from dell are SP2. I sorry but stuff like this pisses me off when people use it as oh this is why. Try that on an SP1 computer it takes some time do it with SP2 yeah it not happening and by defualt now all windows computer automaticly update and install all criticaul updates. You have to change the setting manually to do other wise if you are running SP2

12. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

If you check my sig, you'll see I'm a PC user. I've been using PCs since the IBM AT was state of the art - hell, I've been using computers since the Sinclair Spectrum was state of the art. It's been fun at times, but it's just not any more.

Most PCs out there are at least pre-SP2. Even the majority of corporations haven't installed SP2 (http://www.tomshardware.com/column/20050414/index.html). Looks like I'm not alone in having compatibility problems with SP2. And yeah, of course I have automatic updates off. I at least want my PC to be usable until I can dump it for a Mac.

Even Mac OS X 10.0 wasn't as vulnerable as even SP1 XP is.

13. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I'm assuming your protection was buying a mac :D and a mighty fine mac if I must say.

14. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

That's pretty impressive.......and also the reason why my brother has asked me to look at his Toshiba laptop AGAIN this weekend because it is running like crap.

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

16. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I agree with 80% of what you are saying.

I work with a Managed hosting company that has over 800 Windows servers in their environment. With proper patching and updates the systems remain mostly secure. however, even with automatic updates, we still get 3 or 4 computers that are compromised a month and somehow have ports open by themselves. Those numbers by themselves speak well for Windows Server security. (shrugs)

The issue that allot of home users run into (including XP experienced people), is when they buy new, or need to reload their computer with Base XP, and or XP SP1 or 2. They then need to update security patches on their computer right away to avoid current security risks.To do this most need to get onto the internet to download their Drivers, or Windows updates. During this time, their computer is most subject to being bombarded with port exploits, or spyware. If the computer is compromised during this time, it may still be highly vulnerable after the patches are installed, depending on what was done between the base load and the point were the security updates are up and running. The best way to avoid this, is to get your computer on the internet, and go DIRECTLY to windows update, and or kick off auto updates on your computer, before hitting ANY website, or FTP server.

Windows updates work, but the fact of the matter is, most home users don't have CD's or Network attached systems with the updates available to them, before they connect to the internet. There lies the problem for most home users.

I have since gotten tired of having to run Spybot Search and Destroy, Adaware, and other programs on my home computer at home. I still like Windows XP, and such, but I don't want to deal with it at home any longer.

17. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I work for a company that produces email server software, and software for delivering content to mobile phones. This is "carrier-grade" software that runs on "carrier-grade" hardware - i.e. our servers have to be up and running at least 99.99% of the time, and we aim for 99.999% uptime. We have ported our software to run on several platforms, Linux, Solaris, AIX and HPUX. Not a single one of our customers has ever asked for our software to be ported to Windows Server.

18. superfunkomatic thread starter macrumors regular

dude, i think you need to read my message again. it's not proof of anything, just a curious fact. nowhere did anyone say it was proof of anything. i was just amazed at how little time it took, i'd heard 20 mintues before but that was like, a minute and a half. curious from a company that had it's president and ceo say for the last three years that security is a priority. no slight intended, just an interesting fact.

and as a sidenote, i hope your computer skills are at a level higher than your writing/spelling skills. :confused:

19. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

No they dont..........

Every few weeks I go over to a relatives house and fix all the problems with their Windows PC because they still don't update, even though I tell them too.

20. mtscott macrumors member

It's true that all computers now come with XP SP2. But what about all of the hundreds of thousands, if not millions of consumers that bought computers running XP before SP1 came out. Their original restore/OEM installation CDs don't suddenly have SP1 or 2 on them now. So when the person goes back to restore their computer, suddenly they're open to attack. With all of the problems that the original release of XP had, vendors should be forced to provide their customers with XP SP2 restore discs, for free.

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Are Bill and Steve trying to one-up their previous speed records? I also heard 20 minutes, but 1 minute is ridiculous. :)

Personally, I think Windows is the biggest virus in the world.