CBS Censors Moveon.org's Winning Bush in 30 Seconds Ad

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Maclarny, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

I am a member of Moveon.org and the recent email I received enraged me. In Moveon.org's Bush in 30 Seconds Ad contest over 2000 people sent in entries in the hopes that their ad would be presented during the Superbowl. The winning ad "Child's Pay" has been censored by CBS saying it's too controversial. Watch the Ad here and sign the petition to tell CBS that censoring ads is a step in the wrong direction!

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

damn that liberal mainstream media! look how liberal they are!

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

good old bill yeah the one from the no spin zone showed that commercial and he busted on CBS for not showing it. Bill tells it like he sees it but he didnt tell me about George's big spending habits.

4. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Wonder why CBS didn't take it.

If I were CBS, and MoveOn.org can pay the advertising fee, I'd air it.

On the other hand, I doubt that CBS will be airing dead time, so, they probably have a surplus of customers willing to pay the ad-fee.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

politics at cbs. this add hits home and the way george is throwing around our tax dollars our childrens,children will be paying for it. a very good add showing a very good point CBS has screwed up again.

6. Maclarny thread starter macrumors 6502

Maclarny

Wow, I'm surprised Bill O'Reily actually railed on CBS for censoring the ad.

7. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I really liked that ad, it was not one of those horrible HE VOTED FOR THIS EVIL LAW kind of ads.
    I guess they were afraid that the truth told by honest hardworking independent film makers, instead of these huge political ad machines.

8. Maclarny thread starter macrumors 6502

Maclarny

That's what really astonished me. That ad had nothing malicious in it. It didn't compare Bush to Hitler and it didn't make him seem like an evil dictator. It just was an honest, truthful, and heartfelt ad made by some dedicated people who want their message heard.

9. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Hmm...
    Saw the ad...

Had kids doing manual labor...
    ...washing dishes
    ...vaccuming hotel corridor
    ...collecting trash
    ...changing tires from a wheel
    ...end quote is who will be paying the deficit.

The disingenious part is using kids.
    I guess using adults doing the same thing but with a caption saying 2010 or 2020 as the year wouldn't be the same, but it would be more accurate.

10. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The clear message is that our kids will be paying for the Bush deficits with their labors. This is not the least bit disingenuous, since it is true. In fact this seems to be about the most direct and accurate political ad I've seen in some time.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh suddenly we're demanding truth in advertising! And I hate to break it to you, but kids now most certainly will be paying taxes in 2020. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

13. denjeff macrumors member

just another proof of how media is controlled by the government... it is a too convincing add, that s the real problem i think.

wonder if CBS could be sued if they would put it on air, it could be a violation of the patriot act...

the USA were on the 17th place of a list about freedom of press (http://www.rsf.org/article.php3?id_article=4116). i don t know, but 17th is very low for a country that claims that "freedom of speech" is their most basic right and claims that it is the land of the free... wonder at which place they will be next time... better or worse then Iraq?

14. DavisBAnimal macrumors member

I don't know if this is evidence of direct government control over the media - I just think CBS is sensitive to controversy, especially after the whole Reagan MiniSeries disastor in which they incurred countless right-wing attacks, and even calls for a boycott, before anyone had even seen the show.

While this ad is tasteful, and accurate, as Bill O'Reilly was quick to point out, the entire MoveOn organization has already fallen under attack from the right for those two Hitler comparison ads that slipped through the cracks. And even though those ads weren't endorsed by the organization, and really have no effect on the chosen ad, CBS is sensitive to the very likely attacks from the right over associating in any way with an organization accused of comparing Bush to Hitler, and I am sure the threat of a right-wing boycott of the Super Bowl wouldn't be out of the question (although it would most likely be very ineffective - go Pats!).

Davis

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

is there even really a difference between direct control and intimidation if the results are the same?

16. DavisBAnimal macrumors member

Yeah, I'd say so - I mean subtly - no matter what it's obviously crappy, and illustrates the sorry state of the way we do things.

But one is creepy*, not to mention illegal, and unconstitutional (the direct control) and the other is strictly economic (the intimidation of consummer revolt). Neither is excusable - the difference lies only in the methods we need to take in order to fight it. We don't need to work for change in the way our government works, we need change in the economy of mass communication.

Bitching about government control of the media is lame cause it's not true. Bitching about the ways in which the economy of media has pushed the democracy out of communication is effective cause it is true, and it needs to be changed; quickly.

Davis

*EDIT: Sorry, both are creepy.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

So what you're saying is, CBS is banning all MoveOn.org ads because of something one of their members once said.

18. denjeff macrumors member

the way the control is made is just a proof of how sick it has become.

compare it to a situation like china. in china press isn t free, because if they write the wrong stuff, they get arrested (btw in the article i referred to in my previous reply, the same is said about USA press). they live in a constant fear for their life
    in the USA, if press does something wrong, they fear not their life, but the life of their company. the bucks follow the right (in both senses) opinion.

the same situation happens with countries... if they don t follow the USA, they loose support and investments from the USA. it s a very clever system, i think, but politically incorrect, that s for sure. who profits out of it? big companies and the big bucks, just those people who support election campains...

19. DavisBAnimal macrumors member

Directly, no - indirectly, yes.

I'm saying I think it's more likely CBS is not airing this ad because they fear the reprecussions from certain right-wing groups, who will surely push at least some sort of uprising against CBS for showing this ad, much like they did in the Reagan situation. So, directly speaking, CBS is choosing not to air the ad because of the fear of this controversy and social revolt.

Now, since the assumed right-wing protest would be because of something one of the MoveOn members once said (or more, did, and showed), then, indirectly, what you said is true.

I don't think we can say CBS's decision to not run this ad is the result of a judgement call they themselves made on its content (as in a call in which they decided whether or not they agreed with it's message), or on the group which produced it. It is more likely that a coporate commercial entity such as CBS has made it's decision based on corporate commercial reasons - namely, the fear of protest of their programming and their company.

Does this make it right? Hell no, not at all. But spitting out unfounded conspiracy theories of direct and dilberate government control over media organizations is a quick way to make yourself come off as a member of the tinfoil-hat brigade, eventually causing people to steer away from the true problem at hand, that being the anti-democratic economics of the mass media.

It's a business issue, not a government issue, and should be treated as such.

Davis

20. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Since I'm not part of CBS, there is no sour grapes on my part.

I'm just saying that the imagery of kids doing the work is disingenuous. I did qualify that a more accurate image would be adults doing the work, with a date caption at the bottom.

Sure, a parent of one of these kids would say 'Look at my baby working to pay for Bush's deficit spending', but that baby would be an adult.

21. g5man macrumors newbie

The reason CBS declined the ad is because they know it is not true. They are not in the business of advertising the lies of some left wing nutty organization regardless of how much money they are willing to pay. The media coverage of the campaign will give plenty of air time to those allegations

The kids will not be paying for the deficit because it will be gone in less than 10 years. They will be payin if all those democratic candidates raise taxes and start those trillion dollar social health care blunders.

22. DavisBAnimal macrumors member

I haven't seen much evidence that the deficit will be gone that fast. And only one candidate, Dennis Kucinich, has proposed a trillion dollar, nationwide health care proposal. The next most expensive one is Dean's at 93 billion, a good 907 Billion short of a trillion.

23. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

I see it as fair.

Hear me out and you might see my point.

1st Amendment says that Congress has the prohibition from regulating the press/speech/religion. Since the only thing Congress can do is make laws, its prohibited from making laws that regulate the press/speech/religion.

So, clearly, the government is not involved here. The issue here is that a private enterprise, CBS, has exercised their property rights, to not air the MoveOn.org ad. I'm sure that CBS has calculated in their collective mind what the adverse reaction to airing such an ad would do to their bottom line.

So, if CBS is watching out for its own profitability, then maybe it would actually air the MoveOn.org ad if it were more profitable, enough so to counteract the adverse reaction. (In essence, if MoveOn.org were to offer some larger sum, a sum large enough to CBS that they would be willing to take the potential for adverse reaction, then we would not be having this thread.)

Of course, MoveOn.org could also buy their own television station. Then, it could do with its property as it pleases.

What we have here is a business deal that was not consummated. This stuff happens all the time.

Move on folks, nothing to see here. :D

24. DavisBAnimal macrumors member

You've basically got it right, here - a good anlysis of the economic situation.

The only problem with this set-up, and there's no doubt this is the set-up we currently have, is that the airwaves are, by definition, a property of the public. Commercial entities such as CBS only lease the airwaves from us, the public, and are, traditionally, supposed to operate the airwaves in accordance of the public good.

The deregulation of the media industry has lessened this public-airwaves stipulation to the point that it is now almost forgotten. This is why the economics of the situation are such a problem. If CBS was living up to the original standards of broadcasting - the leased airwaves being used for a public good - they would air the MoveOn ad. Unfortunately, they aren't operating in this way, instead choosing to make all decisions relative to the profit motive - a fine, progressive idea in a truly private realm, but in the public realm of the airwaves it only f-s things up.

Davis

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Lol, funny time you pick to start whining about the imagery in political ads being 'disingenuous'! I suppose you thought it was appropriate to compare Max Cleland to Osama though right? 'Cuz thats accurate...

So the next time there's an ad on for Dubya that says "I'm a uniter, not a divider" will you be first in line to demand a tag line at the bottom that states "No uniting implied by this statement."?