to offer "Survivor" downloads for $1.99

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Feb 3, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003

Category: Videos
    Link: to offer "Survivor" downloads for $1.99
    Description:: (CBS), in what it calls a first for network television, is making its popular reality-television show "Survivor" available for download on its Web site,, for $1.99 an episode.

Posted on
    Approved by Mudbug
  2. macrumors member

Aug 18, 2003
    san francisco, ca
    Am I reading this right?

"CBS said paid-for episodes of "Survivor" can be viewed anytime up to 24 hours from the time they are ordered. The episodes will be available through June 2006."

At first I thought this meant new episodes would be available 24 hrs after being aired, but if that's not a typo, it says people can't watch the episode they've bought if they try to watch it the next day? If so, they're going to have a lot of angry viewers on their hands.

edit: oh, and also, it's not a "first" for network television, it's a last, since both of the other major networks have already been doing this, but ok...
  3. macrumors 68020

Nov 8, 2003
    New Zealand
    I guess they don't want people to pirate their shows...:rolleyes: and I thought that people only pirated movies since you have to pay to see them...:p
  4. Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
    It means that you only have 24 hours after you order it to watch the epsiode. So, in reality, you're not purchasing it; you're renting it for $1.99!
  5. macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    Yes, it's a PPV test, obviously. They are trying different download options with different shows to kearn what customers really want.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Jerry Spoon

Jan 8, 2002
    Historic St. Charles
    I was going to go ahead and try this since I missed the first episode, but looks like that won't be happening...ever.:mad:
    Can I view the CBS on Demand content on my Mac?
    Currently, Windows Media Player for Mac does not contain the necessary level of Digital Rights Management (DRM) we use to protect our content. Please review the minimum system requirements.​
  7. macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    Never say never. As mentioned in the original article: "Kramer said CBS is in talks about other distribution deals with a wide range of parties, including Apple Computer Inc. (AAPL)."
  8. macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    It's just like buying an episode from iTunes, except with a bunch of suck attached