Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

CBS today announced the launch of an all-new Apple TV app that will center around the network's always-on, 24-hour "CBSN" streaming network and has been designed exclusively for tvOS. In addition to the live stream of CBSN, the app curates news stories and video playlists for each user based on previously watched videos.

The new app will also take advantage of the 4th generation Apple TV's deep Siri integration, allowing users to tell Apple's personal assistant that they want to "Watch CBS News" to immediately start a full-screen broadcast of CBSN. While the stream is playing, users can interact with other parts of the app to browse related videos, bookmark some to watch later, and begin subscribing to specific playlists and topics.

CBSN-apple-tv-800x452.jpg
"Our Apple TV app represents the future of how viewers will consume and interact with video," Christy Tanner, senior vice president and general manager of CBS News Digital, said. "We are taking advantage of the platform's cutting-edge, interactive technology to offer a customizable experience."

"The CBS News app on Apple TV delivers the full breadth of our original reporting and live, anchored streaming coverage combined with a layer of editorial curation, giving news consumers unprecedented flexibility and access to the stories they care about," Nancy Lane, senior executive producer of CBS News Digital, said.
The launch of the news-focused app is timed to get users ready for coverage of the Republican and Democratic National Conventions, according to CBS, which begin on July 18 and go through July 28. The network's new tvOS app isn't only politically-focused, however, with its daily coverage spanning most popular topics from entertainment and any currently breaking news.

Article Link: CBS News Launches New Apple TV App Designed Exclusively for tvOS

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Does anyone care about watching the RNC or DNC live? Those just seem like weird things to watch live... very little interesting will come out of either of them, and anything that does will be written about extensively.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Is this new app still behind the ridiculous monthly pay wall?

The "CBS News" app isn't behind a paywall, and I don't think it ever has been. You're probably thinking of the CBS app.

I watch news coverage on the CBS News app every day. (Reuters TV, Newsy, Haystack and Sky News are also good news sources on Apple TV).

Reactions: tennisproha

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
Is this new app still behind the ridiculous monthly pay wall?
Yup. They somehow think they have compelling enough content, that we'd be willing to pay beyond the Vue/Sling packages for it. Sorry CBS, until you have content that can compete with HBO's offerings, no way.

Reactions: ThaRuler

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Does anyone care about watching the RNC or DNC live? Those just seem like weird things to watch live... very little interesting will come out of either of them, and anything that does will be written about extensively.

And very depressing...
[doublepost=1468602238][/doublepost]
The "CBS News" app isn't behind a paywall, and I don't think it ever has been. You're probably thinking of the CBS app.

I watch news coverage on the CBS News app every day. (Reuters TV, Newsy, Haystack and Sky News are also good news sources on Apple TV).

Why would anyone watch television news anymore? It's just hours upon hours of blathering about the hot story of the minute. Repeating the same crap over and over until another little tidbit of "information" comes in so they can blather the same crap they've been blathering for the last two hours, with one little tidbit added on.

Other than the occasional sports program, live television is pretty much dead to me. And since my local baseball team is out of my reach without buying a cable package I really don't even watch sports much anymore.

Reactions: ThaRuler

Kingrsmchugh

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2012

Directv uploaded two channels strictly for the conventions. Ha

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA

As someone who takes my vote seriously, yes, I do try to be informed and see things with my own eyes instead of a cherry-picked synopsis on MSNBC, CNN or Fox after the fact.

Reactions: atari1356

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
As someone who takes my vote seriously, yes, I do try to be informed and see things with my own eyes instead of a cherry-picked synopsis on MSNBC, CNN or Fox after the fact.

The candidates are pretty comfortable and refined at the conventions. You can find them even more comfortable and refined on their websites, though.

If you want to see them when they're less comfortable, watch them getting interviewed by a good journalist or when they're head to head in a debate with the people running against them.

Watching debates and interviews makes sense. Reading their websites makes sense. Watching the DNC/RNC, which is nothing but a formality? Pointless. It's just a relic for the older people who never discovered the internet and rely on TV for all their information.

Reactions: rdlink

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
The candidates are pretty comfortable and refined at the conventions. You can find them even more comfortable and refined on their websites, though.

If you want to see them when they're less comfortable, watch them getting interviewed by a good journalist or when they're head to head in a debate with the people running against them.

Watching debates and interviews makes sense. Reading their websites makes sense. Watching the DNC/RNC, which is nothing but a formality? Pointless. It's just a relic for the older people who never discovered the internet and rely on TV for all their information.

And yet I am under 40, extremely educated in technology, and make my own decisions about how I stay informed. Therefore you can stuff your generalizations and insults, thanks.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Love the app but I wish they'd design a better icon. It's way too wordy for an AppleTV icon so I keep it buried lower in my home screen. A nicely designed icon gets better placement.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
What I've always found annoying is that there isn't a way to just watch the CBS Evening News....which is what I'd like to do with the CBS News app. You can watch individual stories....but then you have to click on another story to watch it. And they aren't even presented in the order that they were on the news. I want to just sit down and see the news and not have to interact every two minutes to see another story. Just my vent on this thing.....

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Hands down the best news app. They left the other guys in the dust with this.

Just needs a better icon :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.