CD and Disk Image won't mount

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by chris_j_noble, Nov 7, 2003.

1. macrumors newbie

Nov 7, 2003
    Hey all. I seem to have a problem mounting cd's and Disk Images on my G4 running OS X 10.1.5. It seems to suddenly have stopped loading cd's and I'm not sure what I have loaded recently or done to have caused this. When I insert a cd into the drive (not SuperDrive) it comes up with the following error:

"You have inserted a disk containing no volumes that Mac OS X can read. To use the unreadable volumes, click Initialize. To continue with the disk inserted, click Continue."

Any ideas what has changed to have caused this? I have cleaned the lens by the way . . .

2. macrumors newbie

Jan 22, 2004
    fortgreen brooklyn ny
    disk containing no volumes that Mac OS X can read

I had a similar problem with my I book g3 white with combo drive.
    In my case this particular cd mounted fine on other macs (panther) but not on mine (also panther). and it says "you Inserted a disk containing no volumes that Mac OS X can read"
    on my machine I booted on os 9 and disk mounted but contained nothing in it. it was burned as mac standard according to other macs that read the disk.

I thought it was a hardware problem,

but I ran disc utility and repair the permissions on my machine and Uninstalled my toast , deleted everything that has to do with toast and re installed it.

but this time, I installed in such way like below

I booted from panther, ran installer (5.0) in classic mode then in diskutility and unmounted everything but the boot volume. then did the 5.2.3 upgrade. I restarted it and the CD disk came up just fine.

so you could try that as well I guess
  3. macrumors newbie

Mar 15, 2004
    Sounds like you need to update the disk drivers using disk utiltiy. As for the disk images not mounting it's and issue with "disc copy." I think if you updated to 10.2.8 you will find answers to a lot of your problems.

I'd buy a G5 if I were rich....
  4. Sol
    macrumors 68000

Jan 14, 2003
    Just log out and re-log into your account.

I have had this problem on a 733MHz G4 PowerMac and a dual 800MHz G4 PowerMac, both running OS X 10.2. Sometimes any discs that are not internal hard drives will not mount and the only way to get around this is to log out and re-log into my account. I am not sure what causes the problem but it has nothing to do with the integrity of the discs that do not mount.