CD burning problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by theposse, Jun 30, 2005.

1. theposse macrumors regular

I tried to burn a disc the other day just some data for a friend and there came up a window saying disc error.I used the finder to burn the info.
    i then got a new disc and used toast titanium and the same error came up saying that the disc could not be burned.I'm using Verbatim CDs.
    I then put the same disc in and tried to burn from itunes just to see if they would burn it,it did right to the finishing process and the the disc showed up in finder with the music i burned but when i ejected it and then put it back in again it says the disc is empty........i'm really confused.
    Whats going on with my computer .
    I know there is nothing wrong with the discs as i burned some on a friends computer with no problems.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks Scott

2. theposse thread starter macrumors regular

I can't believe,.....

I can't believe that out of all the users in this forum nobody knows whats wrong with my computer.

3. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Okay just for you I'll try...
    What speed discs? what speed is the burning set to? In the Finder you did click burn and heard the drive start to burn? Got enough room on the disc?
    This is a good one...try a diff. type of media, I know but sometimes it will happen even to the best of use ;) this happened to me with my eMac when I got it and nothing seemed to work or so I thought...then someone said "have you repaired permissions yet" well I never did that and well that cleared it up.
    I know it can get to one but hang in there and let us know.

4. theposse thread starter macrumors regular

Thankyou for replying

I have reset my disk permissions that was the first thing i did.
    I have tried using different media but the same thing happens.
    I put the speed down to 4x just to see if it would work and it didn't.
    What has happened now is that even real CDs will not show up on my computer when put in the drive.
    I also have loads of application discs from all the mac mags i have bought and not one will load in my drive.
    I've had my drive for about a year and a half and i haven't been burning loads of DVDs or CDs so i have no idea what is going on !!!!!
    thanks for the advice.
    Scottie

5. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Okay, this sounds like what happened (one thing that is) to my first iBook I bought back in Dec. 04' (was replaced 7 days later) with another iBook. If it's an internal drive it may have gone bad i.e. lens, the drive itself or a few bad parts. since you did try a different disc I would also try the hardware test disc (if it's an internal drive). Now if it's an external try it on another FW port (or another Mac, pc) to see if it's the port itself (hey never know :rolleyes: ).
    Well if it shows up and works then you know of the problem if not then it could be the drive, good luck.

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I would suspect the drive. It sounds like it's not software (tho you'll need to create a new user account-- then try reinstalling the OS-- to be sure to Apple's standards) so I would definitely try different drives/machines if possible. I just replaced my burner (thank you applecare!) and it's working great now, so it stands to reason that will fix your problem too (great logic). :)

7. theposse thread starter macrumors regular

thanks

i tried to put in the hardware disc but nothing happened and it just spat it out so does that mean i have a problem with my internal drive.
    Thanks Scott

8. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hi, sorry to tell you but...yes. If you bought it at an Apple store bring it back or if it was from Apple time to send it in (after a call to them).
    Good luck and keep us posted ;)