Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Encanto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
San Diego, CA
Hello everyone,

First, I would like to offer my apologiez if this question has been answered in different threads. I was unable to find it. I'm a new mac user and still trying to familize different software for my MBP2. Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone knows a good Music burning software that I may use with my MBP. I am clueless, please enlighten me.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Roxio's Toast Titanium is the go-to for-pay CD burning app on the Mac. There are a couple freeware ones, but none I've had a tremendous amount of luck with. Toast is a great app to have around for those more advanced burning needs.

Of course, if iTunes supports the audio files you want to burn, you can burn audio CDs right in iTunes.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Grreat! Thank you very much! I will look into Roxio.

I would try out iTunes first and see if it does everything you need. After all, you already own it. It burns audio disks, mp3 disks, and data disks. And the OS will burn all your other files.

road dog

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
Hello everyone,

First, I would like to offer my apologiez if this question has been answered in different threads. I was unable to find it. I'm a new mac user and still trying to familize different software for my MBP2. Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone knows a good Music burning software that I may use with my MBP. I am clueless, please enlighten me.

Toast is the way to go... does way more than the basic burning in iTunes...

gapless recording (great for live music)
music DVDs as well as audio CDs
disc labeling and case covers
make backup copies of your audio CDs originals

czeluff

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2006
Toast and Smoke

Dude.....Toast Titanium....every Mac user uses it. Incredible....despite being made by Roxio, who makes horrible Windows apps.

Another one is called Disco, i've never tried it. Its new, and corny, but it's alot cheaper, and its based off of Toast.

http://macheist.com/

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
It all depends on what you want to burn... as others have pointed out, you can use iTunes and the burner that comes with your utilities already on your MBP.

As for Toast, indeed, it is a premium product for mac users (there is a new version - 8 - coming out in January according to a thread here on macrumors)... but even so, I don't think Toast is the best at everything... for example, if you want to create your own DVDs, then DVDSP from Apple is better IMHO as far as burning DVDs (gives you better control over bitrate).

Otherwise, in addition to Disco, you can try out a few free ones such as Burn, or Liquid CD, or Brand. Go to versiontracker and you'll find a ton.

fenixx

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2006
Toast is great, especially for certain tasks, but if you need a basic drop/burn/done application, and the internal OSX solution/iTunes won't work, than you could probably look into Disco. It's a nice mid-level option for low cost.

engt

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2006
Gapless recording

I read the posts on this topic in hopes of finding a solution to my problem. When I burned a CD using Toast or Burn and setting the pause to 0 seconds, I always got a microsecond's break between tracks. Pissed me off, because to me, 0 seconds means gapless. There's no other way to do it in Toast or Burn. Then I decided to try iTunes although I didn't have much hope for it. I converted the MP3 files to Apple lossless and created a playlist with the CD's name. Then I used the Burn Playlist to Disc option in the File menu, and it worked perfectly. One point for iTunes, zero points for Toast and Burn. I use Toast and Popcorn for almost all my burning, but when I want to burn another gapless CD, it'll be iTunes for me.

PYR0M310N

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
if your just going to be burning data, films and music there is no need to buy any 3rd party products, as it all comes with the mac. you can use burn folders for data and films idvd and music itunes.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
I would recommend using iTunes. Its free and already on your machine. I doubt if it makes sense spending the money on Toast. Btw - Toast 8 will appear soon. So in the case you still want Toast - wait a little.

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
I too would recommend Roxio Toast.

I know that Roxio made some sh*t software for PC's, but Toast for Mac's is awesome :cool:

FJ

czeluff

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2006
stopped using Toast

lol, ok, so i made the post above saying how Toast was so great. And it is....except that it costs money.

I found a burning app called "Burn": does all the same things Toast does (to my knowledge), and it uses much less ram and HD space.

Give it a try.

chad

p.s. I decided Disco isn't corny. it's actually kinda cool to blow into your MIC and see the smoke/fire/haze/etc react accordingly.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
... Roxio, who makes horrible Windows apps.
Yeah, no kidding. My worst windows experiences has been with Roxio products. Avoid it like the plague.

In any case, I have not come across a "burning" issue that required Toast, yet. iTunes for music, Finder for data. The only thing OSX lacks for me is multi session burning through Finder. Disk Utility can do it, but Windows cannot read it then. Fortunately, almost all of my data burning is for backups, where I don't leave much room on the disks for additional burns, anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.