CD burning

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by hcuar, Sep 14, 2004.

1. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Ok... this may seem obtuse... I just got my new PB and I'm unsure of how to burn CD-R discs. What program do I use? Does one come with the 12" PBs? I have the combo drive.

If nothing comes with Panther to burn CD's, what program do you guys recommend. I would prefer an open source freeware program. I'm not really wanting to spend the cash on something like Toast.

2. dotnina macrumors 6502a

I know that you can burn CD's through Finder, though I'm not exactly sure how.

Burning music to a CD is quite easy with iTunes. Just check the songs you'd like to burn, and press the "Burn" button in the top right corner.

3. hcuar thread starter macrumors 65816

hcuar

I'm wanting to burn data, not music. ;-) In addition, it would be nice to be able to burn discs from ISO images.

4. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Just use Disk Utility to make your images, it also supports iso images (they mount just like regular CDs). You can put the Burn icon in the Finder's toolbar I believe too. But Toast is essential if you work with video or need to burn different types of CDs.

5. 68k_575 macrumors newbie

EDIT: Someone else said what I was about to say just as I was writing the post. :cool:

6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

You can also just put a blank CD in, and when it asks what to do with it, select Finder. It will make a blank CD on the desktop that you can copy files to. Then just pretend like you're ejecting it, and it will ask if you want to burn it.

As said above, for ISO images, use Disk Utility.

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Cmon people...its easy.

Insert blank disk.

Drag all the files you want to burn onto disc.

Drag disc to Trash, it will turn into a burn icon. Dont forget to rename your blank CD.

Done.

8. hcuar thread starter macrumors 65816

hcuar

Thank you!!! That's all I wanted to do. I was surprised that I didn't see an application to burn the CD's. I didn't want to pay 100 bucks for Toast either. ;-) I'm impressed all the things that my little PB can do without buying extra applications. I realize WinXP has built in burning, but it sucks. :D

9. grobelaar macrumors newbie

On the .iso front I’ve got some .iso images of Panther install CDs, which I’ve downloaded – I want to try running it on my old desktop before splashing out my cash (plus I was going to wait for Tiger if I was going to lash out any spondollies…). Thing is I’m not quite sure what to do with these .iso files. Just burn them as images in Disk Utility or do I need to do some jiggery buggery and change them to dmg files???

10. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Drag the .iso files to the Trash and then empty it. Goto favorite local electronics store and PURCHASE Panther. Don't pirate software :mad:

11. grobelaar macrumors newbie

Says the man with a MAME cabinet – you sanctimonious snob. I mean I don’t know maybe you have the original ROMs for all the games on your MAME emulator, so I wouldn’t actually go as far as accusing your of piracy… …and even if you did have the ROMs, given the current climate in IP law do you think it’d actually stand up, should any of the original patent and copyright owners wish to press…

Please give it a rest, where do you get off accusing me of piracy. I have a single use copy of Panther for my laptop. I want to test it running on my older desktop (which doesn’t have a DVD drive). If it works then I will go and buy a copy of the OS, or maybe I might wait until Tiger comes out. Or if it runs like a sticky dogshit stuck on the bottom of your boot covered in autumn leaves then I will probably consider getting a new G5 iMac (once the 2nd or 3rd revision comes out).

Either way I’m going to be spending my money on the computing products that I like with the computing company that I actively support. So why don’t you get stuffed, coming on here accusing people of piracy…

12. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

http://www.starroms.com/

13. grobelaar macrumors newbie

Like I said I wasn’t accusing you of piracy. And yes my request is dodgy, but I haven’t got money to burn – a copy of Panther is a 10% of the cost of a new iMac, which I’m rapidly coming round to thinking is the way forward. Still I just wanted to entertain the notion of souping up my old machine – it’s the first mac that I owned personally, and I’ll be sorry to see her go…