Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cfs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Hi Macrumors

I converted to Apple about 9 years ago because my PC wasn't getting in the way of me using the tech. Since then my wife and I bought iPads and have since shared an iTunes Account and one just of us had different Apple ID so we could use iMessage and FaceTime. This worked well because we listen to the same music and share a CD collection.

Now we want to finalize our transition to all Apple and get iPhones. We understand that by doing this we should do a family share since sharing an Apple ID will mess with iMessage. We are good with this but what we can't figure out is how to hook our iOS Devices to an iTunes account to download our CD library. It appears that we would essentially have to have two separate libraries on our computer dedicated to each Apple ID. This seems a bit messy (tech again getting in the way).

Does anyone know a good fix for this or is it easier just to download Google Music and upload CDs this way for easy access.

Honestly, if I can't use iTunes it will such a bummer. I would love to go all Apple but they don't make it easy. I'm currently using Amazon Music because I buy cds from there, and iTunes. Ugh.

Thanks in advance.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
You shouldn't have a problem syncing the iTunes library with the same iTunes account on both devices.

Basically you want to login to that iTunes account for the App Store/iTunes Music Store, and then you want a separate iCloud account for each of you to separate contacts, mail, photo library, Find My iPhone, etc. When you setup the iPhones, skip those sections in the setup and do it via the Settings app.

cfs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
You shouldn't have a problem syncing the iTunes library with the same iTunes account on both devices.

Basically you want to login to that iTunes account for the App Store/iTunes Music Store, and then you want a separate iCloud account for each of you to separate contacts, mail, photo library, Find My iPhone, etc. When you setup the iPhones, skip those sections in the setup and do it via the Settings app.

I did some research on this possibility and it looks like this person does the same thing from what I can see. If it is, I will use this as my tutorial to set up.

I'm just confused a bit though. Why then would couples, who originally shared an Apple ID in the old system, ever even bother with family share?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I did some research on this possibility and it looks like this person does the same thing from what I can see. If it is, I will use this as my tutorial to set up.

Yeah, that's pretty much how you'd set it up.

I'm just confused a bit though. Why then would couples, who originally shared an Apple ID in the old system, ever even bother with family share?

It includes iCloud Photo Sharing (as a shared family album), a shared (family) calendar, and lets you use Find My iPhone for all your devices without having to use the password for her (or your) account. And you share access to your iTunes purchases.

But it doesn't include things like your full iCloud Photo Library, iCloud Drive, Notes, Contacts, Mail, and whatever.

So you'd start using that main iTunes account for both iTunes/iCloud, turn on Family Sharing and give her access to it. But iTunes isn't going to like that the iTunes account is going to be different on the two devices. It otherwise doesn't care about the iCloud ones, so it's better to separate them out and keep the iTunes account so iTunes doesn't give you problems.

cfs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
But iTunes isn't going to like that the iTunes account is going to be different on the two devices.

Sorry. What do you mean by this? I have been doing more research and am about to set up like this:

My phone: I am main account we have been sharing all these years with our CD collection itunes account and icloud account cfs@mac.com

Wife's phone: itunes account cfs@mac.com and icloud wifecfs@mac.com.

I'm this way I am hoping to separate any issue with imessages, facetime, etc. With this set up will I be able to plug her into my mac and sync her music (aka our CD collection)?

Also, with this set up can I then do family sharing to get those benefits as well since our iclout accounts will be different?

Thanks in advance.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
You'll be able to sync both devices with iTunes with no problems with that setup. iMessage/FaceTime won't be a problem either since it's only going to be the store ID on her phone.

And yeah, you can do Family Sharing to get the iCloud benefits and still use the one account for the stores. You will be asked for that login at the beginning though.

cfs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
You'll be able to sync both devices with iTunes with no problems with that setup. iMessage/FaceTime won't be a problem either since it's only going to be the store ID on her phone.

And yeah, you can do Family Sharing to get the iCloud benefits and still use the one account for the stores. You will be asked for that login at the beginning though.

I really appreciate the reply after the gap in my posting.

cfs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008

So sorry Jessica. If you don't mind, one more question. Do you think this set up is better or would it be best to just set up another iTunes account on my computer and duplicate our CD library under her own itunes account?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
So sorry Jessica. If you don't mind, one more question. Do you think this set up is better or would it be best to just set up another iTunes account on my computer and duplicate our CD library under her own itunes account?

This setup is going to be better. You could set it up so you wouldn’t have to duplicate the music files on the new account, but that’s too much trouble if you don’t use two separate user accounts on the computer to begin with.

Reactions: cfs

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

Family share u have control as the owner who and what gets deducted when others buy apps with Family sharing.. If u use one Apple ID for all, that's the same as saying "I'm going to trust everyone is behaving how they should be"

http://www.apple.com/icloud/family-sharing/

Reactions: cfs
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.