CD copy protection

Discussion in 'Community' started by sosumi, Aug 28, 2003.

1. sosumi macrumors member

I just bought the new Kraftwerk album and the first thing I wanted to do was to rip it to my iPod. (No I couldn't buy it at the Music Store since I live in Europe). Unfotunately they use some stupid copy protection so it was not possible. I made sure it wasn't protected before I bought it, but I guess I've got screwed. Since it's possible to play it on a Mac I guess it must be possible to write a program that scans the sound buffer as the CD plays and encode it to AAC or mp3. Anyone knows if such a program exists?

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

How does the copy protection manifest, if you can play it on the mac, can't you grab the files off the CD volume and copy them to iTunes that way?

I have CD's that won't play on the Mac, but I've ripped them to the iPod either by the above method or by ripping in iTunes or with the Toast Audio Extractor.

3. sosumi thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I haven't tried to copy the files themselfs. Just tried to import in iTunes (which hanged the program). I will try as soon as I get away from my PC at work and get back home to my nice little iBook.