CD Drive Issues

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Macaddicttt, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Ok, so I'm in college in Washington, DC and my parents are back in San Diego. They're having some sort of problem with their CD drive, but I don't know what to do since I can't actually interact with the computer and figure it out. Hopefully someone on these boards will know what to do. Well, here's the problem:

According to my dad, when you close the CD drive on their Quicksilver G4, it opens again about 30 seconds later. The drive won't stay closed. No matter what they do, it won't close (I don't really know if they've tried much of anything). So right now their drive is virtually stuck open. I don't know what's wrong. I'm really stumped on this one.

As a sort of side note, I don't understand why my parents' computer goes nuts when I leave. I'm a freshman, so this their first year without having me to keep their computer up and running, and they've already had tons of problems. I've been able to fix most of them over the phone, but this one has me stumped. I've been gone only two months and they've already had problems.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

ok well here are my guesses:

1. try restarting, perhaps some software glitch keeps telling it that it needs to be open?

2. is this happening with a particular cd? or even empty?

3. make sure the keyboard eject button isnt stuck down or something

other than those i cant think of any probable causes, perhaps the drive is just going and it needs to be replaced

~Tim

3. Macaddicttt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

1. Tried a restart. Nothing.

2. It's happening even when the drive is empty.

3. I'm pretty sure it's not the eject button. It seems to be in working order.

I'll try and see if I can get more information about the problem from my folks.