Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
for the last two months, i have been in an endless battle with an imac 233 i was given.

i am trying to install the mac os onto it. NOTHING has worked. i have a real copy of os 8.5 that came with the computer, two burned copies of os 8.5, and two burned copies of os 9. the ONLY one that works out of the bunch is one of the copies of os 9. when i put any of the others into the cd drive and start up, it just makes a clicky noise repeatedly and does nothing else. The cd drive definitely works because one of the os 9's boots up no problem, but i can't use it because i need more up to date firmware which i can only get from os 8.5 (this was told to me by a macrumors member).

does anyone have any idea what is wrong or know what i can do?

please help! this is a problem that i have toiled with for too long.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
This may not help you at all, but when I tried installing Mac OS X off a burned CD in my iMac 333 Mhz, it basically refused to read it. It was on and off. I believe that it might have to do something with the burn speeds. You might want to lower the burn speed of the disks (even to 1X to be sure) and see if that helps.

Good Luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.