CD extremely warm after playing music in iTunes for a while

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by uae, Aug 14, 2002.

1. uae macrumors member

I was playing some CDs in my SuperDrive on the brand spanking new dual gig G4 and when I was done after about an hour and ejected the CD I noticed that it was extremely warm.

Is this normal?

2. job macrumors 68040

job

Yes, usually playing CDs for extended periods of time results in an increase in the overall temperature of the disk.

So yeah, its normal, just don't play it overnight. ;)

3. uae thread starter macrumors member

That's what I thought....I'm pretty sure this has happened on my old PC. And perhaps on some macs at work too.

Just wanted to make sure something wasn't wrong with the new system.

4. iH8Quark macrumors 6502

Things tend to get warm when you shoot a laser at them for extended periods of time. It's kinda like an ant under a magnifying glass. ;)

5. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

Rip the CD to mp3 in iTunes, and the CD will not get warm again for a looong period of time...... ;) :) :D

6. vniow macrumors G4

Actually, I think it's the motor, the laser's not srong enough to generate THAT much heat. Have you ever touched a hard drive right after you turned your computer off? Ouch!

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

The same thing happens to DVDs in my iBook or Cube. They get pretty warm after about 110 minutes.

Don't worry about heat issues. Just start worrying when the labels on the other side start to melt. :p

8. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

This happens because the reading laser heats the disk so it can see the grooves and also heat comes naturally from the drive as it spins the disk because of fricition. Extended play of a disk would make the disk feel hot after awhile, but its nothing to worry about. If you're worried, tho, just take the CD out periodically. Then, put it back in after a few seconds of cooling. That should put ur mind at ease.

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

The same goes with DVDs. But there is added heat with computer DVD players, since the processor is under heavy usage during the movie. I have played 2 hour DVDs on my iBook and my Cube and whenever they were done playing the disks were EXTREMELY warm. You might as well say that the disk was hot. It almost felt burning.

Don't worry about issues like this, though. If something bad happens [to it], always blame the guy who invented it. Then get a refund. :p

10. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

haha, looks like KCs the new knowlage man. Guess alpha's shoes needed someone to fill them. :D ;)

11. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

There have been instances where if you play a cd for extended amounts of time repeatedly, the localized heating by the laser warps portions of the cd. This is called laser rot, but you have to use the CD a LOT to get it and I think it has been pretty much solved on newer cd-roms.

12. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

can u show us a pic of that?

13. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

14. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

i dont see anythign wrong w/ it (the reflection might be covering it)

But when i went to the site, i could see in the close up pic that it was damaged. I looks like some major scratches or its been melted (both could explain the cloudiness)

15. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Look at the upper part of the cd, there is a definite cloudiness.

16. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

yeah i saw that. i kinda thought i was a reflection of the light source, tho. But the close up shot showed me.