CD Jackets, how to make them?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by burger011, Apr 10, 2002.

1. burger011 macrumors regular

I would like to start making jackets for my CD's, where can I get a program to do this?

Something in the 15-20$ range if possible.

Thanks for the info.

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I moved your thread since it wasn't in the correct forum...

As far as cd templates go...there are sets I believe u can buy from places like Office Depot in the printers dept. They have printing templates with precut sheets for cd's & labels....but to make jackets I do not know...I'd resort to creating my own by measuring it out & then laying it out in Freehand on the computer...

I think I may even have some templates here...if u wanted I could send them to u...

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's exactly how I do them. Some one in office bought Neato CD labels and software, but it was a PC program. So I just made several photo copies of the CD sheet, darkening the edges of the label so they would come out clearer, fed them in the printer and ran a few test runs, mockups I did in Illustrator, till I got the positioning correct.

You will need to do this for every printer you print on, they have a tendency to be offset from one to the next.

Good luck.

4. iGav macrumors G3

That's exactly what I do to!!:p

I think the CD insleeves are about 12mm x 12mm, although I can't remember if that's exact!!

Layout in either Freehand, Illustrator or Photoshop......

I made my own CD templates by measuring a CD's diameter, the the subsequent hole in the middle and the actual playable area and layed it out in Illustrator, always came out ok for me!!

I've got a really great material for sticking onto CD's, it's like sticky back plastic, but you can print photo quality images onto it, and then it sticks onto the CD, careful use of a scapel and you have a top quality finish.....

5. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i've had good luck with the Neato labels and applicator-the original system came with mac software that included a library of images and was around $29.00. i've since found cheaper generic labels form a company called Burlington.

one warning-when i first started making labels i used many colors, saturated backgrounds etc. and in no time at all i was blowing thru mega $'s of ink replacement cartridges.

as they say " music is the space between the notes" maybe that holds true for visuals as well.

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

well more often than not....white space is a good thing... ;)

7. iGav macrumors G3

Remember though

To make sure your design is printed equally on the label, Apple say that printed CD's sometimes are out of balance and thus vibrate your macs CD/DVD drive.....:p

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Remember though

What!:confused: :confused:

Are you saying that the design has to be even? That the ink in the label has enough weight to set the CD off balance?

No way!!

When you apply a label you are more liable to offset it more than any amount of imbalance due to ink. That's where you have to worry about getting cds to vibrate, not having a symetric design.

And just on the off chance that Apple actually posted this, please submit the link, I'd love to see their data.

Thanks

9. big macrumors 65816

big

know of a great place for buying blank "silver" cd's, I found one or two, though the price was a little high. (like 25 cents a disk)

10. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

There's a great Classic app called "Ultimate Label Printer Pro" that I use for CD jackets.
    It lays out the front insert as well as the backing that goes behind the CD...

Not sure if it's still around though.

11. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Can any of us demi-Gods do that, or just those with 1500+ posts? :p

12. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

cheap cd's...

I couldn't name somewhere offhand...but in most cases if u buy in bulk....they are pretty cheap...

just like printing goes...the more u buy...the cheaper they become per.... ;)

13. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

in a word: no :)

14. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

So what's the deal then?

15. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

check in the private forum and read the thread entitled 'moderators'. The explanation lies therein.

16. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU