Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bluetorch18, Oct 25, 2006.

1. bluetorch18 macrumors regular

Jul 25, 2006
    Hey all, I'm wondering if I should get a current gen 2.16GHz MBP/2.33GHz MBP or a refurb 2.16GHz CD MBP...I'm wondering if I'm ever going to use/notice a difference with the graphics card, which is why I would get the more expensive one...if I'm playing games like the Sims 2, AOE 3, maybe Quake 4 and Doom 3, would it really be worth it to get the extra 128MB VRAM? The prices are as follows:
    2.16GHz C2D MBP w/ 128MB VRAM - 1799
    2.16GHz CD MBP w/ 256MB VRAM(Refurb) - 1599
    2.33GHz C2D MBP w/ 256MB VRAM - 2299(bit steep of a price)

Is there any major differences in the new C2Ds? Like increased airport range, normal clock speeds on the graphics card, etc?
    Thanks in advance
  2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Jul 22, 2005
    you might want to hang off until some C2D MBPs come in the refurb list. Otherwise, i would be seriously eyeing off that refurb 2.16GHz MBP...
  3. YS2003 macrumors 68020

Dec 24, 2004
    Finally I have arrived.....
    If I were you, I would skid Core Duo unit altogether and go with Core 2 Duo. Core Duo chips are the stop-gap unit as Intel transitioned their manufacturing process from Pentium to this new chip architecture.
  4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    my guess (i.e. I don't really know) is that the 2.16 CD with 256 VRAM and the 2.16 C2D with 128 VRAM will be pretty close in 3d games. True, VRAM doesn't mean all that much, but neither will the jump from CD to C2D.

If you're not concerned about the other changes (FW 800, DL DVD burner, larger HD options) then I'd go for the CD 2.16 because it's cheaper and should be negligibly different in 3d games.
  5. bluetorch18 thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 25, 2006
    Well I just got off the phone with an Apple technician and they said the graphics processor in the new MBPs isn't underclocked. I'm pretty sure I want the 256MB now I'm stuck between a 15" C2D 2.33GHz w/ 256MB VRAM and a 17" CD 2.16GHz w/ 256MB VRAM, I know that the old 17"'s GPU wasn't underclocked...the difference is $100 between the two(the C2D being more)...I am afraid the 17" would be a bit big though...I'm not really sure and I don't have an Apple Store around me to play around with them. Any more advice?
  6. bluetorch18 thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 25, 2006
    My main question is am I going to notice a big difference in games such as the Sims 2, AOE 3, Quake 4, and Doom 3? Not necessarily just big difference but I don't want any hiccups at all...also, I plan on in the future using a 20" or 24" display with 256MB of Vram or 128MB?:confused:
  7. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    I would try to hang in there a few weeks until we get real world feedback on the new C2D MBP's

I'm mostly concerned with heat issues with the faster 2.33 GHz processor, the larger HD's and VRAM all working together to result in a lap toaster.

The ultra thin chassis design of the MBP along with the case being used to dissipate
    heat, may end up less favorable than some people are hoping for.
  8. rglatter macrumors regular

Jul 24, 2006
    I have the CD MBP and Im enjoying it a lot. Ive played all sorts of games on it, WoW, Sims 2, Civ 4, and then dual booing i play FSX, Americas Army, and the sims 2(dont ask me why I play sims 2 on both OSes lol). I have a 2.0 Ghz MBP with 256 VRam and it runs all these games great.

More video ram is always better and with all the new games coming out they are loving the 512 mb cards and SLI systems. I would recomend if you could find one on the refurb store the 2.0 GHz MBP with the 256 Vram runs great and you should be able to save some money with the C2D just now coming out.

The preformance on all of these games are great exept for FSX which was designed for 512 mb cards and running on Windows Vista which I dont have on my MBP.

EDIT: I just read your post agian and you said you were interested in a 2.16 GHz CD MBP and I would go with that one