CD MBP Owners, C2D MBP not all that hyped up to be!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chosenwolf, Nov 17, 2006.

1. chosenwolf macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

I just received my 17" C2D MBP this morning, and I must say that there is not a significant difference between the new C2D MBP's and the original CD MBP's (in terms of speed and quality build)

1) The heat is still present! The machine does not run "cool" by all means. As to whether it runs cooler than the CD MBP, only by a hair if not the same.

2) Build is about the same: MBP's are still shipping with bent keys on the keyboards, uneven backlighting, major gaps between the display and case when the lid is closed, and weak display hinges among other things.

3) As far as speed, I have not noticed that my C2D MBP is "FASTER" than my old CD MBP. It runs very similar to my old machine (but that might change with Leopard, only time can tell).

4) The wireless card in the new C2D's has much better range as I've noticed. Sorry CD MBP owners...

So for a conclusion, CD MBP owners shouldn't beat themselves up now that the C2D MBP's are out. Your system is just as good!

:)

2. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I have a feeling Santa Rosa will be the same. Progress is gradual :rolleyes:

3. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Yeah but you got a bigger HD and more RAM for same price.

I had a CD MBP, doa, then got at C2D.

The C2D is much cooler. It has gotten as hot as the C2 was all the time once (I maxed the processor).

If you have been reading these forums for the last 4 months everyone has been expecting that C2D wasn't going to be that much faster for most users. I don't notice any difference.

People were waiting for the changes that came (and didn't come) with the C2D.

You are right, the wireless range is much better. I had no problems with keys or backlighting on either.

This is small revision that happens to coincide with a new processor. I would say this will happen more with Intel.

4. Danny Futuro macrumors member

hmm, personally I've found the C2D wireless card to be pretty bad. My 11 year old brother's 1.83 ghz Macbook gets better range anywhere in my dad's house than my MBP.

5. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

It is the metal housing, not the wireless card.

The plastic MB does not interfere with the wireless radios that much.

6. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

believe me the c2d runs cooler. I have a friend that lives downstairs (dormitory) and his CD runs hotter than my own. Also during my ICS class, a person with an old cd mbp next to me had his fans at full speed...while mine was just a whisper.

7. chosenwolf thread starter macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

The Fans on 2 of my old CD MBP's NEVER went on. Tonight, the fans blasted while I was installing software on my C2D MBP. It's really a single case issue, but for the most part I have found no big improvement in heat management with the new C2D MBP.

8. Danny Futuro macrumors member

good to know. thanks for clearing that up.

9. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

"Just as good" might be pushing it. I notice significant differences in speed and other features on my 15".

-2.33 vs. 2.16 made significant difference encoding DVDs so far
    -Higher speed x1600 on the C2D has made my games run smoother
    -FW800 on the 15" now
    -Dual Layer Superdrive on the 15" now.
    -MUCH cooler than my previous MBP (17" CD)