CD Menu?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JasonElise1983, Mar 28, 2006.

1. JasonElise1983 macrumors 6502a

JasonElise1983

does anyone know of an app that builds "auto run" cd menus easily? And if so, would the CD run on a mac and a pc? thanks

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Autorun? as far as I know Macs lack autorun. On PCs it's just autorun.ini plain text file and you make a flash file that is exe'd and and have the autorun.ini point to that.

3. JasonElise1983 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonElise1983

yeah, i know "auto run" is a pc thing, but is there anyway to do something similar on a mac. do macs support any kind of CD menu?

4. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Well I found this page written about a universal auto run cd which uses an app called 'mkisofs' to create an ISO image with mac startup capabilities('-auto' option which would allow you to auto start an html/txt/whatever file), though here on this thread there is some talk about if OS9 is needed to be running for this to work or not, and also why auto run is bad (and annoying in my opinioin), and I haven't tried it so I can't personally comment.

5. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Not in the same sense as PCs. You can create a custom background and layout for the CD Finder window that includes instructions on how to install or use the program. At least I think you can, I know you can do it DMG files so I don't see why it wouldn't work with a CD.

6. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Yeah thats a great idea, I have no clue off hand how you'd do that, but my Halo cd has a picture of the Halo logo in the Finder window right above the icons when you open it, so there must be a way.

7. JasonElise1983 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonElise1983

8. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Well I don't know if there is a free manual way to do it, but I did find this cool program after searching for a bit. It's called FileStorm. It allows you to create custom .dmg files, with your own custom volume icons/backgrounds&graphics/installers and more, all self contained, and it has an option to burn a CD from said disk image, thus giving you your custom background/graphic in finder. There is a demo on the site you can try as well.