CD mini, buy now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by brikeh, Dec 4, 2006.

1. brikeh macrumors 6502a

brikeh

Ive been really unlucky with my recent Apple purchases(laptops) and I´ll prob be picking up a win-laptop but I still want to use OSX at home. I cant be without it. I´ll be doing most work on the windows-laptop but all the fun stuff on the mac: photos, movies, music, browsing etc. Im thinking of maxing out the 1.83CD version with 2gb ram(I already have wireless keyboard, monitor and so on) but arent they getting "old" now or whatever? Its the only offering Apple has without the C2D. How long do you think I would have to wait for an update and what do you guys think that update will bring? Besides a bump in speed, what about graphics? Should I wait? I am currently without a Mac...its killing me. :p

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

In what way were you "unlucky" with your Mac laptops? I don't think the mini will be upgraded until Apple runs out of stock and it becomes more expensive to use the old chip then switch to the new one. I have no idea when that might be.

3. brikeh thread starter macrumors 6502a

brikeh

2 crap MBPs, One crap Powerbook. Ive also had a couple of DOA iMacs. So you dont believe theres an update round the corner?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I personally see the CD being phased out for the C2D by the end of Q1/07.... But that's a total guess.

5. brikeh thread starter macrumors 6502a

brikeh

Yeah that wouldnt suprise me at all...seems likely

Aaaaw, decisions decisions...

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Seeing as the C2D MB's came out with GMA950 I don't really expect a Mini refresh with anything more high-end in terms of a GPU. It'll probably just be a C2D drop-in.

7. brikeh thread starter macrumors 6502a

brikeh

Yeah I hear you...question is how big of a deal that is...hmm. Its hardly a pro machine I know that but...damnit it wouldve been nice to have the latest. Whenever that happens.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Not a big deal for the things you are using the machine for. I would be more concerned about not having the new OS that will be showing. I would wait for that plus you may get a bumped up Mini for that wait. But really for what you are using the machine for none of this is going to matter much plus its allways nice to have a new machine for the holidays.

I noticed you didnt mention gaming so I wont say a word about Mini's Integrated graphics.:)

9. brikeh thread starter macrumors 6502a

brikeh

Thanks, no I wont be doing any gaming and when it comes to the OS, that wont keep me waiting, Ill just buy it when it comes out. But the bump might be nice nonetheless....even if I dont really need it. I have a lot to think about.

10. NekoIan macrumors newbie

I ordered the 1.83 with 2GB of RAM knowing that the C2D will be out sometime early 2007. I need my computer now. I like the fact that I can update the Mini with a C2D chip down the road when I want to run Leopard.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It seems like maybe any improvement will be deferred until Santa Rosa comes out?

12. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Agreed, you won't see anything new for the Mini till April or May '07.
    Maybe end of March but I doubt it. I would get the CD.

I just picked up a 1.66 Superdrive Mini (early '06) REFURB from Apple for $649 and got a printer with a $100 rebate. I ordered some OWC RAM and a miniStack and upped it to 2GB myself. Great little setup. I didn't see the point in spending the money on the 1.83. Was an extra $150 for the speed bump. Then again I'm selling it in April (already have a buyer) and getting a 24" iMac with Leopard pre-loaded.

13. brikeh thread starter macrumors 6502a

brikeh

Really? What makes you say that? No c2d for the mini? :confused:

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sorry, I meant specifically with respect to graphics chipset improvements.... My personal guess is that C2D will make its appearance in the very near future (i.e. Q1/07) as a drop-in, as it did in the MacBook and iMac, but that the graphics chip will not be improved until Santa Rosa comes out (I think the SR chipset includes a new graphics chip), and that will be more like late 07 or early 08.

15. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

From what I have heard the Santa Rosa chipset will be released end of March, early April with the x3000 or something GPU, can't remember which is what really, the point is that the onboard graphics will see improvement and this will benefit low-end 17" iMacs, MacBooks and Mac Minis. It is anyone's guess at how long after the Intel release before they arrive in those respective machines, let alone what order. The Mini may come first with the MacBook right behind since the MacBook has seen the most recent update. However the Mini is fine as is and won't see that significant an improvement for C2D, so Apple may wait till the Santa Rosa update to do anything to the Mini. Or they may drop in the C2D in January at either MWSF or a late month surprise which means that the MacBooks will end up getting Santa Rosa first and the Minis will get pushed further back having just been updated.